The end of UAW - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Default The end of UAW

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...strike-US.html

UAW is about to find out that their services are no longer needed. Automation just replaced them. It should have been obvious at the Chevy plants, but they didn't see the significance of it. They may get some concessions to keep a few thousand employed temporarily, but for the most part, they are done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 08:47 AM

If the workers really want a substantial in take home pay they could simply ditch the union and put the union dues in their pockets.

Apparently they want higher wages and more affordable healthcare. I'm guessing they're already the highest paid auto workers, and they have to pay 4% (what a terrible burden!!) of their health insurance cost!

The last figure I heard was somewhere around 70-80% of GM vehicles are now built in foreign countries, so it wouldn't be hard to imagine GM moving even more production offshore. When you combine that with increasing automation it's not hard to imagine that BOTH remaining GM auto workers in the U.S. could end up with a nice pay raise!!
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

The story is one of continuing decline, and the UAW is just milking the situation for as much as they can get. For higher pay scale uaw union workers (not the $15 per hour temporary workers), total compensation including benefits is about $70 per hour, while comparable non union Toyota workers are getting $50.

GM continues to close plants, with five closing this year. The much publicized Cruze that was promoted during the bailout as the future of GM cars ends production this year, as does impala, volt, Buick LaCrosse, and two Cadillac models. Volt ended production about a year ago. That leaves almost nothing but trucks, SUVs, and crossovers.

During the 1970s GM made about 50% of cars sold in US. Now it's about 17%. For several years, sales of automotive robots have been increasing 30 to 40% annually.

Some effects? Flint Michigan used to be vehicle town. Since GM abandoned it, it's been little more than a toxic waste dump that's only in the news because people can't drink the water there.

I can't understand why any young person would want to go to work for a UAW shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Any predictions on how long the strike will last? The 2007 strike lasted from six hours to two days, depending on manufacturer. And the union lost a lot in terms of benefits.
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 12:41 PM

Okay, I know I'm not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, but I wonder this;

How come Toyota is making and selling as many corolla an camay's as they can get off the line, and Honda is selling as many civics and accords as they can make, and they are making a good profit on them.

Why are the American car companies always in trouble and can't deal with the big three from Japan?

I can't believe that chevy or Ford can't make a nice reliable car that would be competitive to the corolla and civic, and cost the same or less since it will be a U.S. made car and NOT an import.

Nation wide the corolla/camry and the civic/accord are some of the most popular selling cars, yet GM and Ford are totally abandoning the market rather than compete.

I don't get it.

Don't over do it, just enough will do.
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

I don't know, but one interesting statistic is that light trucks and SUVs account for about 2/3 of US car sales, and Ford and Chevy make light trucks and SUVs. Last year total sales were about 17 million and non-light truck sales (i.e., cars) were 5 million of that 17 million.

The thing I don't get is what kind of bailout the "big three" are going to need the next time fuel prices increase significantly.
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 01:05 PM

The South will rise again , little did they know it would involve automobile manufacturing .
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 01:37 PM

Good riddance, let's hope the union dissolves completely.

Liberal Logic 101:
Americans shall be required to submit to a background check to exercise a right already guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment while any foreigner shall be allowed into America without submitting to a background check.

H&R family: Topper 88 16 Gauge Mod, Pardner 16 gauge Full, Model 480 Topper Jr .410 Full, Handi .300 AAC Blackout
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 01:45 PM

The statistic citing 2/3 of US sales are SUV's is, I think, a bit misleading. For most of us when we hear "light trucks and SUV's" we're thinking pickups and Yukons, Suburbans, Exhibitions, etc.

But I suspect that 2/3 figure includes ALL SUV's, which includes those vehicles that are really nothing more than what used to be called station wagons! If they're including RAV4's, Ford Escapes, and various others of that type then the figures are skewed. People are driving boxy looking cars and calling them SUV's!
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
The statistic citing 2/3 of US sales are SUV's is, I think, a bit misleading. For most of us when we hear "light trucks and SUV's" we're thinking pickups and Yukons, Suburbans, Exhibitions, etc.

But I suspect that 2/3 figure includes ALL SUV's, which includes those vehicles that are really nothing more than what used to be called station wagons! If they're including RAV4's, Ford Escapes, and various others of that type then the figures are skewed. People are driving boxy looking cars and calling them SUV's!
Righto! The two thirds figure is for vehicles classified as light trucks, and that may include the now heavily marketed and popular crossovers like rav4. I don't know, but it probably does.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page