A cooler worth considering - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Default A cooler worth considering

I have a big yeti cooler for long trips and it does what I bought it for. But I also have a niche for a smaller 20 to 25 quart cooler. I replaced my old 25 quart cheapo cooler with an igloo bmx 25 quart cooler. $70 at target and some outdoor stores. Very nice. Igloo blue ice maxcold packs are a good substitute for ice if you're able to refreeze the packs every few days. Great cooler so far. I just keep mine in the car and it doesn't get banged around so it should last a while.

During summer I kept it in the trunk of my car all the time and just refroze some of the ice packs every day. Very handy to have.

I like having a middle ground between the cheapo coolers that don't stay cold and the premium coolers. The bmx is lighter than a yeti 20 too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

I had 8 of the Igloo 2 pound "large"maxcold blue ice packs in the bmx 25 since early Monday morning. It's Saturday now and two of the packs were still frozen solid and the cooler interior was about 45 degrees F. I'm impressed. That's way better than the $25 model I've been using for similar trips. Two thumbs up.

I had enough space in the cooler for drinks and food with the 8 ice packs, but it looks like I should start using 6 packs instead to get even more room for stuff in the cooler. It should do fine. Outside temps were cool, not 90F hot, so I'll still keep the 8 packs for summer use.

Cooler was pre-chilled before packing it Monday morning.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 10:17 AM

We bought 2 midsized from ALDI's last year. One was a small Yeti look alike.

The other was a slightly larger powered unit. 12vdc or 110v AC. It got mauled by a bear, top was seperated from base by a good 30 feet. Top (where the fan and electronics are) was filled with mud.

So I hosed it out, took it apart, finished cleaning, wiped blades, everything inside is absolutely soaked. So I bagged the small parts taped to outside of cooler, and stashed it in the Jeep to dry for 3 weeks.

Reassembled, and be danged if it did not run, both 12v and 110.

Learned my lesson.
A I knew those hot dogs were going bad Plus there was a pound of bacon in paper. Irresistible to bear.
B under the trailer is not secure enough. Not sure inside the jeep would have been.
C My dog who barks about everything apparently has a deal with bears. Not a whimper.

Prices on both were very reasonable.

Interests wide and widely varying.
Happily married 18 years. Retired on SS with lots of time to spend.
Started with .223 Ultra Bull barrel. Added .357 Talo barrel. Added an action and stock set bought here, 7.62x39 barrel. Then bought complete guns .444 Marlin and .300 Blackout. Leaving me at 4 complete rifles plus a barrel. Plus a 9mm stub job bought here, and I have been finding and buying H&R shotguns at our local pawn shop where they seem to go cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 07:09 PM

I have two, do not know name but I think one is an Igloo of the old school plastic type opening approx. 20x12x10.
No drain hole but I have not done enough traveling to need the large one for a bit . (I have a much bigger one but lost the **** drain hole plut)
I also have two of the old small ones that are good for a six pack and have screw in ice packs in the lid, all I have really need for a few years.

NOW, I want to get a good mid-sized one big enough for three or four six packs and a bag of ice.
Yeti is good , I know that , what are the alternatives that cost a bit less but are decidedly better than that old school ones from twenty years ago.?
My old school one was good enough that when we went to Canada I put a small bag of ice in it and two days later, undisturbed, it was less than half melted.

RR
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Bob,

You may want to look at the bmx 52 quart model. I have the 25 quart in white. I'm really digging this cooler because it's great performance at a fair price. Not as tough as a yeti, but not as heavy either. If you're not banging it around much, it should be plenty durable.

And I do use the blue ice packs. Much better than fooling around with ice unless you're on a long trip and have no means to refreeze the packs. Also, real ice is generally considered better for beverages while packs are better for food.

https://www.igloocoolers.com/collect...x-hard-coolers

I have a yeti and this igloo and the igloo will get a lot more frequent use. The yeti is a great no compromises cooler for very long trips. I usually use my big yeti with ice because I'm traveling.

The yeti 20 roadie is quite heavy, about 15 pounds empty. Add 10 pounds of ice and you're lugging some serious mass. My yeti tundra 65 weighs about 50 pounds when I've got ice in it. Add several pounds for food and drinks and you've got a big ol hunk a hunk a stuff to wrestle into and out of a car.

Also see this video on coolers under a hundred bucks.

Last edited by conan the librarian; 11-09-2019 at 07:41 PM.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 12:14 AM

We have a Yeti "soft" cooler with a zippered top opening that is difficult to load and unload. I use old school Gott and Coleman coolers and increase their efficiency by covering top and sides with old blankets and rug runners. Makes a big difference in the summer. When I wear out the hinges I'll think about a Yeti or Yeti clone. I've seen apparently well made clones at Walmart and Gander Outdoors but wonder about availability of replacement latches and hinges down the road.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 02:53 AM

Conan, thanks for the link, really interesting and informative test.

Ken

NRA Life Member
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 08:26 AM

Interesting video. That Igloo 25 qt does look like a nice cooler for day trip outings and so forth.

I still use the old school coolers as most of the time I only need to keep things cool for maybe 10 hours, and usually less.

Almost all of that use is from home and back so I freeze empty pop bottles, half gallon and gallon milk jugs and use according to the size of the cooler. The solid ice lasts much longer than bags of loose cubes.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 08:52 AM

ITRC is a Yeti clone and very reasonable. I have a couple coolers and coffee mugs, they are great...

Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the h-ell they please. --John Wayne
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
Interesting video. That Igloo 25 qt does look like a nice cooler for day trip outings and so forth.

I still use the old school coolers as most of the time I only need to keep things cool for maybe 10 hours, and usually less.

Almost all of that use is from home and back so I freeze empty pop bottles, half gallon and gallon milk jugs and use according to the size of the cooler. The solid ice lasts much longer than bags of loose cubes.

Good point about cooler only used for a few hours. No need to spend much on one. I use the bmx for some trips and i keep it in the trunk of my car during warm weather so its always there and ready. I use it like a permanent refrigerator in my car. A 50+ ounce jug of water. Some sandwiches without condiments so they keep for days. Very handy when I'm out and about. Lots better and cheaper than stopping at subway or other restaurant.

Heck its 25 degrees today and i just had lunch near a destination. Cooler keeps stuff from freezing too. Ive been bringing the coolee inside on cold nights lately. I'm thinking it may be a year round feature in my car.

Last edited by conan the librarian; 11-10-2019 at 03:28 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page