I just got back from the midwest. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Default I just got back from the midwest.

I travelled with my son and his wife to the Kansas City, MO area, to visit my Grandson & family. More succinctly, to Blue Springs. I had a couple

gunsmithing jobs to be done, so I enlisted the best gunsmith I know (my grandson) to do them.

Had a great time, and had to make my necessary visit to Culver's (best burgers anywhere..IMO), which I consider a "must do", each time I visit.

Kansas City is famous for BBQ, so we try a different place each time we visit.. This time we tried a place called JACK STACKS..or something like that.

First off..I am not a big BBQ fan, although my son is. We tried this place, and although it was a very nice place , with polite and courteous employees... the product fell short for each of us. (5 adults, plus 5 year old great grandson).

Not a condemnation of the place, but just not OUR kind of BBQ..others may love it!

Visited a commercial range, a first time for me, since I have many venues where I can shoot for free...including my own recreational acres.

My grandson took his 5 yr old son into the booth to shoot (with hands on guidance) his Sig .22 LR.

Always great to visit my grandson..good share of time to talk guns.. He makes his living testing, designing and building gins and ammo, but since

that is for NATO and top secret..we cannot talk his work, and I respect security clearances , so I avoid asking.

However, we do have much conversation at a civilian guns & ammo level.

Although I have never been a club goer, I still enjoyed seeing my Grandson's band play at a local (KC) cowboy club complete with a "bucking bull" (?)

An enjoyable long weekend, along with getting some needed gunsmithing done.

"Politically correct" language, is really Orwellian 'newspeak'. (Michael Cutler)

Last edited by ironglow; 11-11-2019 at 06:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 06:56 PM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

Glad you had a safe trip and got to visit loved ones. The older I get the more each of those visits mean to me.

I have to agree 100% on those Culver's Butter Burgers. We have a Culver's 15 miles away and it's always worth the trip. There is another one 40 minutes away in Altoona, Iowa right next to the big Bass Pro Store. It always takes less time to shop if I know I have one of those Butter Burgers waiting with my name on it 5 minutes after checking out at Bass Pro.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 07:11 PM

Sounds like he has got a gun lovers dream job , does he need a 62 year old apprentice ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 07:13 PM

Gun Cabinet

NY to MO that's good trip. Worth it to see family. Culvers was started in a town about 30 miles south of me a long time ago and the food is as good today as it was when they only had one restaurant.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

― John Wayne "The Shootist"

Last edited by northwoodneil; 11-11-2019 at 08:42 PM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

We have no Culvers anywhere near us so far as I know, but I wish there were one somewhere within 50 miles or so !

Yes, Mcbammer, a lot of people would like a job where they can shoot all kinds of guns and blow things up..but those jobs are few in number and

very select in their choices.

His background was part of the key, being a combat Spec Ops Marine, a top gunsmith ballistician along with several other qualifications including a top secret clearance.

He used to work for commercial firms, doing arms, ammo and demolition stuff, and we had some discussions on it.

..But today I know no details of his work, because it is classified. ..And having held a clearance, I would never consider prying. It wouldn't do me any good anyway, if I did !...

"Politically correct" language, is really Orwellian 'newspeak'. (Michael Cutler)

Last edited by ironglow; 11-11-2019 at 07:33 PM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 10:15 PM

Jack Stack. I've been there. You're very diplomatic description of saying it's not your favorite kind of bbq is very well taken. Unfortunately I'm not as diplomatic as you and will simply say that it sucks. What I had was unbelievably salty and I couldnt eat it. Obviously a lot of people like it, but it's not for me.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 10:39 PM

Gun Cabinet

So we are now talking burgers the best I have found that I like is the keep it simple Burger at Red Robins that we have in Tulsa Ok.

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 10:56 PM

KC BBQ is kind of it's own thing. It is a bit different than anywhere else. Seems to be a like or dislike thing with little in-between. I am along the dislike side. Arthur Bryant was the other big one for years, tried it once and have not returned. Each to their own.
GuzziJohn
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironglow View Post
We have no Culvers anywhere near us so far as I know, but I wish there were one somewhere within 50 miles or so !

Yes, Mcbammer, a lot of people would like a job where they can shoot all kinds of guns and blow things up..but those jobs are few in number and

very select in their choices.

His background was part of the key, being a combat Spec Ops Marine, a top gunsmith ballistician along with several other qualifications including a top secret clearance.

He used to work for commercial firms, doing arms, ammo and demolition stuff, and we had some discussions on it.

..But today I know no details of his work, because it is classified. ..And having held a clearance, I would never consider prying. It wouldn't do me any good anyway, if I did !...

Just kidding about the apprenticeship , I never knew what it felt like to go to work with a smile on my face .
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

As I said, I had a couple rifles that were in need of gunsmithing,

1) An Anschutz "woodchucker" that needed a new crown on the muzzle, and correction of the magazine feed. Although an Anschutz, the muzzle crown was a simple cut off with a very faint chamfer...Both were accomplished in short order.

Some time ago, I decided to enlarge and refinish the stock, and use it for a "truck gun", so he cut the crown as a recessed crown, because a "truck gun",

it may have a greater chance of getting the crown bumped, and a recessed crown provides a protective ring.

2) I wanted to have a smooth bolt and trigger assembly.so my grandson worked the trigger and sear assembly to the point of having a "mirror" finish.

The areas which needed lube, he used the same lube that is used on the Gatling style "mini guns".. It provides advanced protection.

Below, see my modified woodchucker, and a pic of a recessed crown.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	annie.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	236352  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1022_crown.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	236356  

Last edited by ironglow; 11-11-2019 at 11:18 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page