What do you think about the Eddie Gallagher / Navy Secretary thing? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Default What do you think about the Eddie Gallagher / Navy Secretary thing?

Did Trump do the right thing? I don't know much about the case. It's definitely an unusual intervention by a president.

It did seem to me that, after Gallagher's acquittal, the navy kept doing things to punish him more than the punishment he got from the court.

Didn't the commander of the seals also threaten to quit if trump intervened?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 08:33 AM

My take on it is we train these guys to be professional killers then want them to put flowers in there hair. If this was Russian or China they would have probably got a pat on the back. As to the general his duty is to the president. Every single person that enlists swears an OATH to obey orders and to serve the commander and chief. The ucmj also forbids you from bring shame to the service. That generals opinion meant NOTHING. His job was to obey orders period. No different then a dirt soldier in battle. That's what he swore an oath to do. His opinion should have been kept to himself unless he was asked by the commander and chief for it. I will say that is true even if its a president I detest like Obama. The presidents job is to make policy and the generals is to carry it out period. President Trump was well within his rights to acquit anyone in the military for anything he pleases. Cant handle that then don't join.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 08:44 AM

The SECNAV is an appointment. Just a political guy doing what political guys do.

Admirals are all on their retirement tour. Quiting just means retirement which is likely what they planned to do anyway.

If you want to know what the rank and file think you will have to look at retention numbers.

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 10:23 AM

The Navy admiral tells an enlisted man to do something..scrub the deck, move his troops into formation etc.

The enlisted man refuses, and sneers at the admiral...suddenly he is in deep doo-doo..

That's called "chain of command", and the admiral should be even more aware of it, than an EM.

The admiral thumbs his nose at his C-in-C...he's in deep doo-doo ! That's "chain of command"..simple isn't it !

I see it as deeper than that, and more nefarious. CPO Gallager was pronounced NOT GUILTY back in June.

Being found not guilty, his job, rank and pay should have been restored the next day !

This game of pulling his trident didn't come up until just a few days ago, when the president reinstated what should

have been reinstated back in June. Looks like a grudge to me !

"Politically correct" language, is really Orwellian 'newspeak'. (Michael Cutler)
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 11:10 AM

yup I detest a flag officer so full of himself he thinks he is above the ucmj and chain of command. He should have been given a less then honorable discharge with no pension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironglow View Post
The Navy admiral tells an enlisted man to do something..scrub the deck, move his troops into formation etc.

The enlisted man refuses, and sneers at the admiral...suddenly he is in deep doo-doo..

That's called "chain of command", and the admiral should be even more aware of it, than an EM.

The admiral thumbs his nose at his C-in-C...he's in deep doo-doo ! That's "chain of command"..simple isn't it !

I see it as deeper than that, and more nefarious. CPO Gallager was pronounced NOT GUILTY back in June.

Being found not guilty, his job, rank and pay should have been restored the next day !

This game of pulling his trident didn't come up until just a few days ago, when the president reinstated what should

have been reinstated back in June. Looks like a grudge to me !

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!

Last edited by lloyd smale; 11-25-2019 at 11:20 AM.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 11:15 AM

[QUOTE=lloyd smale;2055975322]yup nothing I detest then a flag officer so full of himself he thinks he is above the ucmj and chain of command. He should have been given a less then honorable discharge with no pension.[/QUOTE

^^^THAT^^^ ...DITTO..

"Politically correct" language, is really Orwellian 'newspeak'. (Michael Cutler)
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 12:12 PM

[quote=ironglow;2055975328]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd smale View Post
yup nothing I detest then a flag officer so full of himself he thinks he is above the ucmj and chain of command. He should have been given a less then honorable discharge with no pension.[/QUOTE

^^^THAT^^^ ...DITTO..

If he was that stupid maybe a medical discharge.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 12:37 PM

Gun Cabinet

With any branch in the services you have good officers and you have bad officers. The very best and the very worst officers that I served under came through the ranks, one was a captain he was great, the men in his command loved him. The worst was a warrant officer his promotion went to his head he did not last long before higher ups got rid of him. Trump is the commander and chief of all the military, he can do anything he wonts to, those of lower rank may not like what the president does but they must still obey his commands. Remember Truman and Mc Author he did not like the order he got fired.

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 01:23 PM

The whole case stunk, what the prosecutors did was BS and if not illegal it should be. The CIC is the head of the military, he has the last word when it comes to military affairs, so those saying he should not "interfere" does not understand the Chain of Command .

Good writeup
https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-...gher-innocent/

Bugging the defense
https://www.navytimes.com/news/2019/...-email-spying/

Awarded for losing
https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-...l-netted-nams/

"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 09:04 PM

The one thing I learned while in the service was that some of the officers will lie their butts off and not give it a second thought as to injustice, or right, or wrong. This was also true of some NCO's, but their lies didn't have the same weight.

I had one squadron commander who shouldn't have ever been allowed to wear the uniform. He was a worthless lying piece of crap. He would give us orders, we would follow them exactly and when there were repercussions from above, this sunken beach would try to hand out Article 15's like they were candy.

I had the occasion to fight this a-hole to a complete melt down and I won--thanks to my Congress woman. She was a Democrat, but that was when there were a few good ones. Every service man, or woman should have a Congressman like I did, or maybe better yet, have a President like we have now. The military should not tolerate scumbag officers.

How does Eddie Gallagher get back the time he spent in prison? Everyone should remember that the last guy who occupied the White House celebrated a deserter and was fine with rules of engagement that gave the enemy the advantage of first shot.

Swingem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page