Baseball asininity - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Default Baseball asininity

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2019/11/17...aseball-teams/

These teams provide hundreds of jobs.
And some wonder why baseball is losing fans.
One reason they spit out is some teams do not have foo-foo enough facilities; what a crock of feces.

RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 05:05 PM

Major league teams can afford to pay millions per year to multiple players, but can't afford to pay minimum wage to some minor league players???

Baseball is afflicted with the same thing other sports are - greed. Doesn't matter which sport you name, the quality of the game itself just isn't there anymore.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 08:48 PM

I don't understand baseball. I can understand why it was popular decades ago when people were more starved for entertainment, but today baseball is about as exciting as listening to a late night filibuster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

It is one of the few sports where psychology and strategy works far better than brute force or speed.
Back when sports cable channels hit the air, Cricket was one of them on occasion and it is fascinating and far better than basket ball or even football where more often than not the first 55 minutes are meaningless and the only drama is in the last five or even two.

Hockey is like soccer, a boring game with a bunch of dudes skating or running back and forth, back and forth, back and forth , back and forth....
Now I will admit I like home runs but the constant bomba games this year kind of over did it.

RR
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 09:30 PM

GOOD baseball is very interesting. It may seem boring to the casual observer, but if you've played the game much or studied it seriously there's constant "action". Just picking the batting lineup is an art in itself. The manager not only has to know the physical capabilities of the hitters, but also their psychological strengths and weaknesses.

Every pitch is a mental contest between batter and pitcher. Defensive positioning is subtly different for each batter, and different for each pitcher's style.

It's a game much better seen in person than on TV as you really need to view the whole field to see all the little things going on.

Oh, and my pet peeve when watching a major league game - a major league player who can't lay down a decent bunt when it's called for!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 09:56 PM

I remember several years ago when Columbus Georgia had the AAA team for Houston. Politics and things changed and the last team was an A team for Tampa Bay, and that was some years back when my parents were alive.
Then there was the Columbus Cottonmouths hockey team that was doing well for years ... The owners dissolved it and about two or three years later, this year Columbus has another hockey team.the Columbus River dragons. I haven't felt well enough to go to a game, but one day I will. The rink is maybe three miles from my house.

Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns and Single shot rifles!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 10:08 PM

Gun Cabinet

If pitchers didnt grow a beard between pitches Id enjoy watching. The game naturally drags out and commercial breaks make it worse. I went to an early season game with my son in law. That was fun in person but still slow. College is crazy slow in comparison. Id like to see some experimentation with a pitch clock.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe View Post
It is one of the few sports where psychology and strategy works far better than brute force or speed.
Back when sports cable channels hit the air, Cricket was one of them on occasion and it is fascinating and far better than basket ball or even football where more often than not the first 55 minutes are meaningless and the only drama is in the last five or even two.

Hockey is like soccer, a boring game with a bunch of dudes skating or running back and forth, back and forth, back and forth , back and forth....
Now I will admit I like home runs but the constant bomba games this year kind of over did it.
That first sentence. That's why some people consider chess a sport. It's not a sport.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 09:02 AM
Dee

I like baseball.

"REPUBLIC OF TEXAS"!
To The Politician: if your not right with God, your not right for this country.
Phil Robertson, Duck Dynasty
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 12:37 PM

If baseball, nascar, pro basketball, hockey, and soccer, especially soccer, were to disappear off the face of the earth this instant I wouldn't miss a one of them. Oh, I forgot tennis.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page