Tesla pickup? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Default Tesla pickup?

I saw the announcement and didn't even bother to read any articles on it. Of all car styles I might be interested in, the electric pickup is the least interesting of all.

I do see them as a kind of hot rod. Just like a lot of performance enthusiasts prefer pickups because of their big engines and acceleration ability.

I'd like to own a pickup. But I don't need one. The people who need a pickup drive trucks that have practical designs for loading and unloading. The Tesla looks like one of those foo foo fake pickups like the Chevy avalanche.

Last edited by conan the librarian; 12-02-2019 at 08:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 10:52 AM

I did read up on it because I'm interested in new applications of science and technology. It's a hot rod with impressive horse power, torque, and tow ratings but with a very poor design as a working truck plus it's UGLY.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

The Honda Ridgeline is another one I never regarded as a practical truck, but then I learned it has some very decent storage options under the bed. So I do grudgingly regard it as a pickup, but not a work truck and not practical for hauling stuff like canoes and kayaks and stuff that requires a decent length bed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan the librarian View Post
I saw the announcement and didn't even bother to read any articles on it. Of all car styles I might be interested in, the electric pickup is the least interesting of all.

I do see them as a kind of hot rod. Just like a lot of performance enthusiasts prefer pickups because of their big engines and acceleration ability.

I'd like to own a pickup. But I don't need one. The people who need a pickup drive trucks that have practical designs for loading and unloading. The Tesla looks like one of those foo foo fake pickups like the Chevy avalanche.
The car like pickups of the 1960s and 70s were selling well. Especially the Chevy SS version, which is
highly collectible now. I bet the price tag on that Tesla is enough to turn a lot of people away.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

I loved the El Camino and Ranchero of "the days before emissions laws killed them" era. I saw them as very practical. Car like comfort, and a decent size bed. Everyone I knew who had them loved them, and they were much admired. I'd love to see them make a comeback. Adequate towing capacity. Low center of gravity. Two wheel drive as adequate for its purpose. Good size beds. Comfortable. They were great cars.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldandslow View Post
I did read up on it because I'm interested in new applications of science and technology. It's a hot rod with impressive horse power, torque, and tow ratings but with a very poor design as a working truck plus it's UGLY.
It is ugly and looks to be to light to call itself a truck. Its also supposed to have that new shatter proof armor glass.Which failed miserably during the test phases. I thought Musk would send it back to the drawing board
due to that.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
The Honda Ridgeline is another one I never regarded as a practical truck, but then I learned it has some very decent storage options under the bed. So I do grudgingly regard it as a pickup, but not a work truck and not practical for hauling stuff like canoes and kayaks and stuff that requires a decent length bed.

I always looked at the Ridgeline as a soccer mom truck that can haul a little bit of stuff. This is oil field country with long distances, heavy loads, and crappy, rough roads and all you have to do to see what stands up to real truck use is pay attention to what the companies that work there use. It's by far Chevy/GMC, Dodge, and Ford with a few big Toyotas. I don't believe I've ever seen a Ridgeline used as a work truck and really see very few of them at all. The company my oldest grandson works for switched from Ford to Toyota last year. His Ford was constantly in the shop, mostly for alternator replacements. He has close to 70,000 miles on this Toyota and it hasn't had anything but regular oil changes, tires, and a windshield from a vehicle thrown rock.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Cars already have shatterproof windshields. Safety glass. What are they suggesting? That the car is harder to break into if it has their special glass?

I think ugly is as ugly does. 300 mile range limitation is not just ugly, it's fugly. What am I supposed to do with that? Towing a boat to "the lake" around here is easily a 200 mile round trip in the boonies. And I have yet to see one electric car that normally attains its nominal range. Typically, it's only about 2/3 of that nominal range. The range limitation alone makes that truck neither sport nor utility as far as I'm concerned.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 11:24 AM

yup it the key to them being rated so reliable. If they were actually a truck and used like a truck they would probably fall apart in 2 years. Probably last forever if the heaviest thing you haul is a couple bags of grocerys though. Not a fan of Toyotas but ill admit that there full sized trucks other then the poor fuel economy and the higher cost in the real world there a good unit. But still you don't see many bought by famers, loggers, snow plowers or big construction companys that actually work them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldandslow View Post
I always looked at the Ridgeline as a soccer mom truck that can haul a little bit of stuff. This is oil field country with long distances, heavy loads, and crappy, rough roads and all you have to do to see what stands up to real truck use is pay attention to what the companies that work there use. It's by far Chevy/GMC, Dodge, and Ford with a few big Toyotas. I don't believe I've ever seen a Ridgeline used as a work truck and really see very few of them at all. The company my oldest grandson works for switched from Ford to Toyota last year. His Ford was constantly in the shop, mostly for alternator replacements. He has close to 70,000 miles on this Toyota and it hasn't had anything but regular oil changes, tires, and a windshield from a vehicle thrown rock.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I loved the El Camino and Ranchero of "the days before emissions laws killed them" era. I saw them as very practical. Car like comfort, and a decent size bed. Everyone I knew who had them loved them, and they were much admired. I'd love to see them make a comeback. Adequate towing capacity. Low center of gravity. Two wheel drive as adequate for its purpose. Good size beds. Comfortable. They were great cars.
And they were very fast. The El Camino I had back then had a stock 350 engine that would smoke the tires.
I wish i still had it, a drunk Mennonite lady hit it running a red light and totaled it out.
My girlfriend was driving it at the time but she wasn't hurt, just a little bit shaken up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page