Oh no! I did it again! - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Default Oh no! I did it again!

Last year at this time I bought a couple of books that were mailed to me. They got stalled for a surprisingly long time in the mail system. I just did it again! I ordered a couple of books and they're stalled.

Words to the wise, try not to do mail order during the weeks just before Christmas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 08:32 AM

I order most of my books through amazon any more. They seem to deliver to their prime members just as fast as usual. Iím getting my stuff in 2 days after purchase.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

I buy books through amazon too. They are all kindle format so there is no shipping.

The other things i buy mailorder are specialty items and books that are not available through amazon, or amazon is the inferior vendor.

Ive never wanted to pay extra for amazon prime. I dont see the value.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 12:44 PM

You can share a Prime membership with another household and I do with my son. That makes the price pretty reasonable especially if you pay for a year plus you get all their video content, a couple of free books every month and free shipping. When I decide to order something from another internet seller I always check Amazon and compare prices. Just last week I got a sale e-mail from a vendor that had a gadget I wanted since my old one had recently given up the ghost. I would have had to pay shipping. I checked Amazon and saved over 25% on the cost even with it on sale from the other vendor. Makes sense to me. In my case just the internet streaming is worth what I pay but I save more than the membership cost from free shipping plus I don't have to drive at least 50 miles to buy it locally which adds up pretty quickly.

I read a great deal and Kindle gives me access to older books by well know authors at reasonable prices in most cases. Used book stores are extinct in my area as are new book stores. Sometimes it requires ordering an actual book but most are available in Kindle format. It also gives me access to a multitude of authors that I would never even know of because they never make a reading list or appear in libraries. Many of them are just as good as any best selling author you will find. I started with Amazon strictly for Kindle and I can keep a huge library of reading in my hand and carry it anywhere. No book cases, no stacks or boxes of books, just one gadget, in my case the 10" fire version which compares in size with a regular hard back book.. I'm not totally dependent on Kindle as I still hit the two closest libraries to me fairly regularly and have three books checked out right now.

Last edited by oldandslow; 12-04-2019 at 01:03 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 04:49 AM

Depends on how much stuff you order. It pays for itself for me.

Byron

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorp View Post
Depends on how much stuff you order. It pays for itself for me.
That makes sense. I only buy a few things per year from their mail orders. What do you think the break even point is?

The one thing I've seen that I like is the drop boxes where you can have stuff delivered so that it's not put on a front porch. They look like lockers at an airport . I don't know how they work, but it seems like a good delivery option.

Last edited by conan the librarian; 12-05-2019 at 07:42 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 07:48 PM

Either the us Postal Service or ups drive to my house and set the packages usually on the table under the cabana by the pool. So itís not visable to anyone out at the road. Itís about 1/4 mile from the hard road back to my house. Anyone would be trespassing when they drive through the gate. And they still,would not see a package on the table. So I guess Iím not too worried about porch pirates.

If you live in a subdivision then Iím sure you might get robbed. But whatís you other options?

Byron

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 07:50 PM

I order about 50 items so far from amazon for Christmas gifts. Between gas to go shopping and no postage Iíd say Iíve broke even for next year already.

Byron

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

That seems pretty compelling then. It is an impressive service.

Amazon has, for free and probably as a promotion, sent a couple of my orders via prime and I was impressed by how fast they arrived. For me, it's not worth the hundred bucks but for fifty items a year it would definitely be worth it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page