Cabelaphobia - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Default Cabelaphobia

Is cabelas ruined yet since they got bought by bass pro? I have avoided going to Cabelas for about 2 years because I'm afraid of what I might find.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 12:00 PM

So far not too much has changed but, like you, am on guarded stand by.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

I really liked and preferred Cabelas. A lot of their cabelas brand products were superb and a good value. I always used to say that you can't buy junk from cabelas, but you could buy junk from bass pro.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 12:13 PM

I used to stop at Cabala's in Texas when I was hauling Harleys for my son but have not been in one in several years. I bought a lot of my reloading stuff from them but off the net.

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan the librarian View Post
Is cabelas ruined yet since they got bought by bass pro? I have avoided going to Cabelas for about 2 years because I'm afraid of what I might find.
They are not the same (no bargain cave,smaller hunting selection, very limited archery).

I only go for the Cabelas brand rubber boots.

I was a Club member until the purchase.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

I'm curling into a fetal position and weeping now.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 01:04 PM

I went to the one west of Reno, NV about a month ago. Their used guns rack was impressive. I'm a frequent shopper at Scheels in Sparks-- so frequent that I have received maybe two dozen gift cards since I bought a stainless Howa M1500 in .223Rem in February 2011. The Cabela's at Exit 4 is just too far to drive to maybe not find anything I'd want.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 01:47 PM

Sorry CTL but it's changed a lot. No more bargain cave, way less selection in clothing, less emphasis on hunting in general.

Just take a look at their website and you'll see as much or more stuff branded BassPro and Redhead than Cabela's. BassPro and Cabela's websites are now mirror images of each other with both sites selling both brands.

We used to get seasonal closeout flyers from Cabela's with some really great prices - haven't seen one since the takeover. Their sale flyers now have very, very few things even approaching a bargain.

We used to go to the closest one (about 100 miles) fairly often, usually made some excuse to be near it so we could stop in! Last couple of times I was there (after the takeover) I was ready to leave after about 20 minutes, as compared to the "old days" when I could wander around in there for hours. Not sure if I would bother to stop in now even if I was next door.

BASSPRO RUINED IT!!!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 01:54 PM

Gun Cabinet

I never shopped there a lot but would always drop in the Bowling Green, KY store when in that area. They always had S &B primers on sale for a great price. After the buyout they stopped carrying them. Their prices are high on guns.

The last firearm that I bought was at a Shoot Point Blank shooting range here in Northern Ky. The main Buds Gunshop is an hour south of me. Serious firearms buying will probably through that store. I just need to find a local source for reasonably priced primers.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 02:13 PM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

Unfortunately we never had a Cabela's round here. It was the BP just this side of Des Moines only. They have a limited reloading selection and I only stop if I am on my way by. I never make the 80 mile round trip trek just to be disappointed by what they have. Their clothing section looks a lot like Walmart.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page