How do you like Academy? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Default How do you like Academy?

I keep hearing that Academy is a big outdoor big box chain in the southeast. Are they worth a stop? I passed one the other day and it's hard to get me into a big box store, but I am curious about them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 06:14 PM

We have two in Tulsa Oklahoma and I have bought a number of things from them usually on a special I know when Henry came out with the golden boy they ran a special that was 312.00 out the door and they ran a special on the Yalzi shot guns over and under for 395.00 plus tax. and I have bought some black powder stuff from them. They seem to be a lot like Dicks, lots of sport equipment but also a nice gun shop area much bigger and better than dicks with clerks that know their stuff. large fishing section as well as electric trolling motors and accessories fish locaters. I would say they are a smaller version of Bass Pro. If I need anything in those lines I always stop there first. I bought my Lorance fish locater and electric trolling motor as well as batteries there and when I compared their price with Bass Pro they were cheaper for same Item. They also sell all types of gun safes I bought my Cannon American Eagle 32 gun safe with a high fire guard which was on one of their specials for 575.00 when other were selling the same thing for around 700.00.

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 08:33 PM

They ain't too bad, and so much better than Dick's. The local store in Columbus Georgia just gave the local police department $6000 in gift cards to be given to safe drivers. If the policeman sees you stopping at a stop sign, looking both ways before you take off ,not speeding or whatever they will pull you over and give you a $50 card.
I've been to the one in Auburn and left some dollars there, I was glad to see the one come to Columbus. Sometimes the sales personel aren't the sharpest pencils in the box, but they will bend over backwards to be helpful.

Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns and Single shot rifles!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 10:50 PM

Hey their not Dick's, so I have shopped there once or twice. Mostly for Clays.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 10:55 PM

Yeah wish we had one in VA.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan the librarian View Post
I keep hearing that Academy is a big outdoor big box chain in the southeast. Are they worth a stop? I passed one the other day and it's hard to get me into a big box store, but I am curious about them.
Here is my ranking of big box sporting goods stores.

1.-4. Original Cabelas I was a club black card member until they were purchased by Bass
5. New Cabelas
6. Academy (they are working on beating Cabelas and their shotgun ammo prices is fantastic)
7. Bass Pro Shops
200. Dicks
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 09:54 AM

I have to go to Texas to find an Academy store. I wouldn't make a special trip to do so but I've been known to stop in during a trip for other reasons. They are pretty good price wise and I have purchased a couple of guns, quite a bit of ammo, shooting accessories, some clothing, and several pairs of shoes there over the years.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 10:02 AM
Dee

My wife and I go to Academy all the time for shoes, ice chests, fishing equipment ect.
Many times their cheaper than everybody else.

"REPUBLIC OF TEXAS"!
To The Politician: if your not right with God, your not right for this country.
Phil Robertson, Duck Dynasty
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 10:30 AM

Academy - Dollar General

l Bass Pro - Wal Mart

Mice die in traps because they dont understand why the cheese is free .
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 10:41 AM

I probably walk through Academy once a week. It is a block from my office. Love to hit their clearance items. Have gotten some great deals on things that way. Usually some of the best price around for firearms and they run a lot of sales. Do not have the selection of some of the other stores. If it ain't selling, they clearance it and get it off the shelf. Have a very limited selection of reloading supplies, but are the cheapest in town for what they do stock. Mostly Hodgdon powders and Winchester primers here.

They do not have the decor of Bass Pro (that warrants increased prices), mostly bare bones shelves and no decoration, much like a wally world. I go there to buy stuff, not look at pretty wood or fish in a tank.

Rosewood

Go Donald Go!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page