Old farts and BB guns - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Default Old farts and BB guns

Many people have given me skeptical looks when I mention that we used to buy BB's for our Daisy BB guns in "penny packs" The hardware store had a big roll of them like giant postage stamps and you'd tear off as many as you had pennies. The next larger size was similar but longer cellphone pack for a nickle. The dime packs were in a cardboard tube. I usually got the nickle pack because you could tear off a corner and pour BB's directly into the magazine of the Red Ryder gun. The cardboard tubes didn't work so well, there was usually some spillage.
The Daisy pistol in the photo was useless, it wouldn't even penetrate a paper target.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	-vintage-Daisy-BBs.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	237782  

The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 01:10 PM

I still have one of the cardboard tubes around here somewhere that I saved. How things have changed since they were for sale.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 05:03 PM

We've seen a wonderful time in the history of America, G-d has been very good to us.
best wishes

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 05:52 PM
p51

I'm 50 and I remember the cardboard rolls of BBs from when I was a kid.
FYI, years ago, I remember hearing about a older guy who saw some druggies getting ready to do a home invasion of his house (none had guns if memory serves) and he quickly pulled out his BB gun he scared off cats with, and shot them in the heads and faces until they fled.
Every time I even think of a BB gun, I think of that. I've tried looking it up online but I've never found the details, but clearly recall it from a TV news at 6 show many years back.

"When all else fails, call for indirect fire on your position, AND GET THE **** OUT!"
-Exact words of one of my 'call for fire' class instructors.
Former US Army Ordnance officer and lover of all things what go BOOM!
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 05:59 PM

I remember those cellophane BB packs. By the time they came out..I was into .22s.

..But I did have one earlier, and I got mine in the paper "shotgun shell" type packages..

Now, BBs come in plastic jugs..

Remember this Christmas...don't 'shoot your eye out."
Attached Images

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.. (Gen George S. Patton)
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 06:38 PM

Never had a Red Ryder, mine was the plain-jane Daisy lever action. One of my neighbors had the Daisy pump action and it had more power than the lever - always wished I'd gotten one of those. He was kind of a character. He used to empty one of the tubes of BBs in his mouth, put his lips over the fill hole and spit them all in! I don't know if he ever swallowed any, but at least he didn't spill any on the ground.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 09:36 AM

I remember all of those packages of BB's, have a BB pistol in the closet I need to get out and try and bring back to life.

Master Piddler
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 09:41 AM
Dee

Mine was a Daisy Golden something or other.
In my neighborhood, nuthin with feathers was safe.

"REPUBLIC OF TEXAS"!
To The Politician: if your not right with God, your not right for this country.
Phil Robertson, Duck Dynasty
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 09:53 AM

My Mom just asked us recently what our favorite Christmas present was and I said the Daisy pump air rifle that Grandma gave me when I was 10. Back then Mom thought I was too young and told Grandma (on Dad's side) not to get me one. I think there was some tension at Christmas Eve that year, but I didn't notice nor care... I'm sure I shot more birds with that gun than all of my other guns combined throughout my lifetime.

It was a pellet/BB gun, but 90% of the ammo used was BB's in those iconic packages, they were like gold to me...

Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the h-ell they please. --John Wayne
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 10:18 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
Never had a Red Ryder, mine was the plain-jane Daisy lever action. One of my neighbors had the Daisy pump action and it had more power than the lever - always wished I'd gotten one of those. He was kind of a character. He used to empty one of the tubes of BBs in his mouth, put his lips over the fill hole and spit them all in! I don't know if he ever swallowed any, but at least he didn't spill any on the ground.
Hahahahahah! I'm sure glad that I wasn't the only kid that did that. They left an aftertaste too. I can remember dropping a BB in the grass and looking for that thing for 10 minutes before giving up on it. Those things were like gold to a kid with nothing else to do. I can remember shooting sparrows in grandpa's out buildings with my Daisy Pal? I think that's what it was called. You could watch the BB all the way to the sparrows head but it did its job. I also remember handing it to my little brother and letting him shoot it with the cocking lever hanging down. That lever wacked him in the knuckles a good one. I learned that one the hard way myself!

Did you know that you can shoot dragon flies out of the air with those old <300 ftps spring cockers. The BB is coming slow enough that the dragonfly thinks it's something to prey on and they intercept the BB. It'd be like you or I catching a speeding bowling ball, I reckon and I'd recommend against it. I discovered it by accident. I was shooting at the ones hovering and getting most of them. I thought I was just real good. Then grandpa came upon me and that's when I discovered that he was a dragonfly lover and I was a dumba$$ for shooting them.....or something like that. Anyway he splained it to me and busted my ego!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page