Speaking of hats........ - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Default Speaking of hats........

Whatever happened to the Jones hat? Probably the best all-around hunting hat ever made. It had it all - adequate bill for sun shade for the eyes and keeping rain off glasses, could wear the rear brim up or down, ear flaps for chilly weather that folded up inside, and small enough it didn't interfere with a hood.

I haven't seen one for sale for years, I don't think anyone even makes one anymore. They used to be available in cotton canvas, wool, and I've even seen them made out of some kind of pliable plastic type material.

When I first started hunting I had one in the brown duck color of all small game clothing of the time. Wore it for years until the blaze orange laws came into being. Had one in blaze orange and wore that one until it got so faded out I finally had to replace it with something else. Wish I would have bought a few of them when they were still available!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 09:07 PM

Indiana Jones hat was a fedora. Condor makes great replicas.But I like their ball caps.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

The Jones hat had nothing to do with Indiana Jones! It was nothing like a fedora.

Here's a Jones hat.

https://www.mollyjogger.com/products...ant=5970845121

Last edited by spruce; 12-12-2019 at 09:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent11 View Post
Indiana Jones hat was a fedora. Condor makes great replicas.But I like their ball caps.
When I see a Jones hat, my thoughts go back to my Dad.He always wore one when hunting.A straw hat when working(Farming) and a fedora when dressed for town.I was blessed with a great Dad!

My kids and Gkids will remember me wearing the baseball type caps.I never leave home without one.

I don't think of myself as a staunch Republican or Democrat.
I am a Christian and a Conservative...........In that order!

Last edited by nw_hunter; 12-12-2019 at 10:09 PM.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 10:15 PM

Talking

I used to like my boony hat, especially in the rain, but in the summer it got too hot. Iwore ball caps for many years. Several months ago I asked my Pastor where he got his hat, I always admired it. He asked if I wanted one, I said yes, I'd like to buy one like yours. He said, my gson begged me for a hat like mine so I bought him one just like this one. He never wore it and now not interested, I'll give it to you. I wear it everywhere I go. It's a fedora I think. CHARLIE.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 11:28 PM

I loved my boonie hat . I wore it until I wore a hole in the top. I got one for a birthday present from my sil a few years back. It has a mesh near the top so my head will stay cool in the summer and a big Alabama A on the front so I know which way to wear it... It's sitting on the front seat of my car at the moment.

Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns and Single shot rifles!
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 12:19 PM

Hi...
I wear a Jones style hat for small game hunting for the last 45-50 years.
I got mine when I bought an Ithaca M37 in 12ga. back in the early 70s.
Mine has an Ithacagun patch on it. It is worn and faded but it is in my head every small game hunting trip.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Up thru the '70's it was without doubt the most popular hat with small game hunters, and then for some reason it's popularity began to dwindle.

I suppose it was somewhat less popular in the south because it was primarily a cool weather hat - just right for those cool (and some cold) October and November days of our small game seasons.

I fail to understand the insane popularity of today's baseball hats for hunting - other than for warm weather. It's almost impossible to buy one without somebody's logo on the front and worse yet, a big hole in the back that's perfect for letting in cold air to circulate over the top of your head!
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 04:22 PM

But baseball style hats will keep the rain off of my glasses....

Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns and Single shot rifles!
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 06:02 PM

What is really cool..some joker walking around with his baseball cap on backwards...and he is shading his eyes with his hands, just so he see !

I bought a orange camo Jones cap a few years ago. It was the last one available at the store. I must have been 7&1/8..because I wear a 7&1/4 and it was ever so slightly small.

I figured I could get it home , put a couple fists in it and twist..that would fix it!

Here are some ..https://www.drakewaterfowl.com/produ...-tex-jones-hat

Nope; never got it to budge..still kicking around somewhere, probably in a box in the barn, or perhaps it went to the Salvation Army !.

...Then I saw this one on Amazon..bu wearing it while hunting..might just get a guy shot:

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.. (Gen George S. Patton)

Last edited by ironglow; 12-13-2019 at 06:46 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page