Print magazines are dying - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Default Print magazines are dying

At major magazine rack stores, it has struck me for a bit now most of the best magazine came from Europe.
After the current owner took over Hot Rod, even it is not what it was 5 years ago.
I could see this coming after the last major U.S. camera magazine dies, the kind that was the photography equivalent of Motor Trend.
The rack is full of those from over seas.

https://www.foliomag.com/ten-publish...int-magazines/

RR

Last edited by Bob Riebe; 12-13-2019 at 06:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 06:24 PM

I still like holding a magazine. Read mostly local ie Nodak Outdoors, Dakota Country and Fur Fish and Game (not local)

Last edited by zogman; 12-14-2019 at 07:57 AM.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

I much prefer print magazines, do not A.C. or batteries to read them.
The net is very handy as humongous card catalog to find what is out there.

It saves hours/days of what one had to do to find information in days past: go to the library and find a source, get on the phone and call, write letters and then hope you find what you are looking for.
Pre-net, I would go to road races and talk to boys in the paddock and find information you would find in absolutely NO print media in pre-net days.
Even when the net started, I would find contact for person A, who had me contact person B, to C, to D etc, etc. often by phone but now at least half of it is online.

RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 07:08 PM

Motorcyclist and Cycle World both went 100% digital this year. Their print issues were down to quarterlies anyway. Rider still has a very decent monthly and Consumer Motorcycle News is pretty good. Consumer Reports still is a monthly mag. Soaring mag is monthly as is Flying, but Flying is about 40% of the issue it use to be.
GliderJohn
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

LOL, and I was thinking of re-upping Cycle World after 30 years.
There are a couple of Euro cycle mags, worth reading, I may get one of those.
My late cousin used to get a lot over a dozen mags from planes, trains and automobile genres but he passed so he no longer brings over a pile a foot and one-half high ever month or so, so I am suffering with drawls and send out for subscriptions.
Even I used to get a half-dozen a month myself till money got tight.

RR
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 07:35 PM

I can only speak for the current crop of outdoor and gun magazines, but both are a mere shadow of what they once were. Obviously the internet is a huge influence for print's decrease in popularity, but in some ways the print magazines I mentioned are killing themselves.

The outdoor magazines used to have some really great hunting stories by superb writers, now they fill most of the pages up with tests of optics, guns, cartridges, fishing rods/reels and the like, and have very few really good hunting stories. Not much there for the everyday sportsman - I don't really care about $2000 crossbows, $2000 riflescopes, or $500 fishing rods.

Likewise with the gun magazines. I'd say it's impossible to pick up a gun magazine without at least one feature story on a high priced 1911 or AR15, both all tricked out with gadgets and priced way out of reach of a lot of potential readership. And their gun tests are worthless. They never get a bad one, and even if they have to send the first sample back because it didn't work they still rave about how good the replacement was!

Now I stick to The Backwoodsman, a couple regional hunting/fishing publications, and an occasional Fur, Fish, and Game.

One reason the major magazines used to thrive is because it's all there was - either buy them or remain ignorant of what was going on. Now all the pertinent information can be found online, but unfortunately without many of the great stories that used to be in print.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zogman View Post
I still like holding a magazine. Read mostly local ie Nodak Outdoors, Dakota Country and Fir Fish and Game (not local)
Yep, Fur Fish & Game, Backwoodsman, American Hunter, and American Frontiersman.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
H*LL HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 02:51 AM

Paper books, newspapers, and magazines seem weird to me. Tablets have been the standard for me for nearly ten years. I only use paper when a book is not available electronically.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 05:44 AM

Heard a talk recently about how in 100 years we have gone from teaching Latin and Greek in High School to teaching remedial English in College. The speaker tied this to how we have become more shallow in our thinking. At one time TV was aimed at the 4 th grade level to entertain and not educate and enlighten, we can hurt ourselves living that way and modeling that for our children.

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodshot View Post
Heard a talk recently about how in 100 years we have gone from teaching Latin and Greek in High School to teaching remedial English in College. The speaker tied this to how we have become more shallow in our thinking. At one time TV was aimed at the 4 th grade level to entertain and not educate and enlighten, we can hurt ourselves living that way and modeling that for our children.
Let's include how some teachers impress THEIR morals and ideas on our children and slack off things like teaching the Constitution, Bill of Rights, and generally the useful things people in a Republic should learn.

That's how we slipped into where we are and the place we're heading without the influence of educators? You are 100% correct goodshot!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page