Why do so many motorcycles have 3 or 4 wheels now? - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 02:10 PM
TM7

Yeah, trrikes steer like cars.
Motorcycles turn by heeling and counter steer.

Trikes aren't the same as real motorcycles.....I rather have a Corvette now that I can't ride.

.TM7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 02:31 PM
WLB

I've always liked the three wheelers ever since I saw my first Morgan. I built a three wheeler from scratch back around 1980 using a 1000 Kawasaki engine. If Elio hadn't been a scam, I'd be driving one now.
http://www.wlbsite.com/photos/albums/old/car28229.jpg
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 07:11 PM

There are a couple of sling shot drivers here. One lives north and the other east of me so I see them regularly. I say drivers because you sit in a seat like a car. They are pretty capable on the road as two wheels are in front and they aren't any slouch in the speed department either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldandslow View Post
There are a couple of sling shot drivers here. One lives north and the other east of me so I see them regularly. I say drivers because you sit in a seat like a car. They are pretty capable on the road as two wheels are in front and they aren't any slouch in the speed department either.
They are two seater's, we bought a Miata for about the same price.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 12:14 PM

Default 22 years on 3 wheels, but I have never ridden a Trike

A misconception seems to float around that if you enjoy Motorcycling on 3 wheels you are.....

1. Old
2. New to riding (Wannabe)
3. Disabled

Even though I fit a few of those categories, none are the reason I have been on three wheels for the last 22 years. Although, to date, I have never once ridden a Trike. This year will mark 51 years continuous racing and riding motorcycles for me.

About 22 years ago, I became fascinated with "Rigs, and Hacks" That is to say, Sidecar's. I have had many different kinds, from Off road racing to cross country cruisers. More fun that can be imagined, I say. My 65th birthday, Me and Maggie (my big white Labrador Retriever), settled in for a wonderful road trip, coast to coast. (Try that on 2 wheels). My wife has been ill for the last several years, but she still enjoys sitting side by side, on sunny cool days here in Arizona.

I have put a lot of long distance miles on a lot of "rigs."

Very much different than 2 wheels, not for everyone. Turns can go wrong, crazy seconds with a 300 pound sidecar with passenger lifted up in the air, but mountain snake roads are more beautiful when shared side by side.

Enjoy your life, your way, as long as it does not infringe on others enjoying their life, their way.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Maggie with badge.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	239092  

Name:	DSCN0488_Wondershare adj.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	535.5 KB
ID:	239094  

Name:	DSCN0478.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	239096  

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 12:27 PM

Default All good

There are all kind of reasons people are going to trikes. As stated, health aspects might top the list. People that can’t ride a 2 wheel bike can still ride a 3 wheeler. Some people just like them, a lot. A good friend got into a terrible accident a few years ago and almost died. He’s riding a trike now and you can barely keep up with him going down a mountain road, like the “Tail of the Dragon”. A good rider can really make a trike go.

With most trikes, you just “drive” them unlike a 2 wheel machine where you “countersteer”. For those of you who don’t know this term “countersteer”, at speed, you turn the handlebars left to turn right or conversely, turn right to go left. Turning slightly left tilts the bike to the right where the tires now arc to the right. A walking speed or course, you turn right to go right. This is true for bicycles too and most people don’t realize how they steer. Get a bicycle rolling down the road and twist your handlebars to the right a bit and see where you go.

Some new trikes actually tilt the front forks for steering. Others are computer-controlled like the Spyders. Those are really hard to flip over on a hard turn as the computer takes over.

A few years ago I was at the Americaid rally in upstate NY. The bike manufacturers have fleets of demo bikes and you can sign up and ride them for free. I have ridden all kinds of machines over the years but had never ridden a trike. I went on a mission and rode every 3 wheeler I could: Harleys, Indians, Goldwings with double front and rear wheels, Spyders and even a Slingshot which is actually a three-wheel car. All were a lot of fun. Actually any motorcycle is a lot of fun.
My wife wants me to get a 3 wheeler. I’m older now and holding an 800+ lb. bike up while a passenger is getting on and off isn’t as easy as it used to be. It would cost me about $14K to convert my bike or spend double that and more for a ready-made one. I still like my two-wheeler so I’m putting it off for now.

One thing about the Slingshot that I drove. It’s a 2 seater car with a huge rear wheel and two forward wheels with a car engine under the hood. It is more of a day fun car. Storage is two tiny compartments behind the seat. Not really enough for a trip, and the machine is not contusive to pulling a small trailer as I do with my bike. Reminds me of a Waverunner, a one-trick pony, drive around for the fun of it. Some of the 3 wheel motorcycles have quite a bit of storage.

They are all fun, like guns. As long as they are safe, I’ll shoot or ride anything.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
Wanna Be's.
[email protected]&head.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 04:27 PM

I am on my SIXTEENTH motorcycle. I got my latest at 62 years old after I sold my 99 Magna and 2007 Bonneville. I now ride a 2008 Gold Wing with the Motor Trike conversion. Wife and I have taken it to New Mexico and Missouri. Planning on going to AZ in the spring. I can run the tires off most 2-wheelers on the curves. Don't talk about what you don't know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page