Winter driving tips - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Default Winter driving tips

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 07:53 PM

Here's what you do: go south and forget about that cold country bs.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 06:42 AM

Spruce that's got to be down staters or people from the huge citys like Green Bay!! . We don't have any 4 lanes like that up here and only drive 55 in the fast lane while in a white out blizzard!! Hats are right though! Always said if they had a nascar race up here in January on an ice covered road my mother would smoke any of them. You can tell a southerner a 1/2 mile ahead of you without even seeing the plate just by the rate of closing between you. Kind of chuckled at the hitting a deer comment. I don't think I know anyone over 30 up here that hasn't hit at least one. I guess you could go south where everyone is rude to you because your not from there and roast in 100 degree temps and 100 percent humidity, see racial and religious tensions daily and never be able to walk out my back door and shoot a deer or pee of my back porch or actually own trees I didn't have to plant in a 100x100 foot yard. Or paint rocks because grass wont grow. I lived in VA for 5 years. You couldn't PAY me to live in the south again. I love the snow and cold. Its what keeps the lightweights from living here.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

This guy (Charlie Berens) has a bunch of videos with the much exaggerated accent. This one should be shown to everyone from downstate MI and WI, and especially Illinois - maybe they'd think we're all that crazy up here and wouldn't even dare to even THINK about coming up!

The REAL crazy drivers are in Detroit and Chicago! I lived near Detroit for a short time (one summer that seemed like 10 years!) and my wife is originally from Chicago so I've had the "pleasure" of driving in both places.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd smale View Post
Spruce that's got to be down staters or people from the huge citys like Green Bay!! . We don't have any 4 lanes like that up here and only drive 55 in the fast lane while in a white out blizzard!! Hats are right though! Always said if they had a nascar race up here in January on an ice covered road my mother would smoke any of them. You can tell a southerner a 1/2 mile ahead of you without even seeing the plate just by the rate of closing between you. Kind of chuckled at the hitting a deer comment. I don't think I know anyone over 30 up here that hasn't hit at least one. I guess you could go south where everyone is rude to you because your not from there and roast in 100 degree temps and 100 percent humidity, see racial and religious tensions daily and never be able to walk out my back door and shoot a deer or pee of my back porch or actually own trees I didn't have to plant in a 100x100 foot yard. Or paint rocks because grass wont grow. I lived in VA for 5 years. You couldn't PAY me to live in the south again. I love the snow and cold. Its what keeps the lightweights from living here.
If the folks from up north wouldn't expect/demand things to be the same as "back home" then you wouldn't get the "rude" treatment as you indicate. We've heard/seen how things are up north, we like it just fine down south as it currently is. Stay up north.

Racial and religious tensions are everywhere, not just in the south. NYC has been in the headlines lately, are they from a different "north"?

I've owned trees before, still do but I wish the neighbors would "own" their leaves. I see deer on a regular basis while out on my back porch while having coffee in the mornings. Deer season down here is a pretty popular thang.

Heat and humidity keeps a lot of the "yankees" part timers here, thank god they go back up north during the summer months.

Master Piddler
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Jim, we don't have a problem with true southerners coming up to visit - it's the city people from "down south" (places like Chicago and Detroit) that stick out like a sore thumb so to speak.

Kind of funny, you guys down south get invaded in the winter, and we get invaded in the summer up here! Always nice when the tourist season ends and all the summer traffic disappears.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 10:01 AM

The best advice I can give for winter driving is don't, stay home off the roads where the folks think they can drive 80 on a snow covered ice road and hit the ditch.

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 10:47 AM

I'm with Conan. Move to the south and forget about driving in snow. Please, please;please don't move to the southwest. Too many people here already and it does snow in parts of it now and then.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

It's obvious most of us on here have at least one thing in common. We don't like crowds!!
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd smale View Post
I love the snow and cold. Its what keeps the lightweights from living here.
BRAVO-BRAVO-BRAVO!
While I do not spend near the time outside I did ten fifteen years ago, I want winter to have snow, lots of it and cold, if it does not get above 20 from Dec. 1 to March 1 I would be in heaven.

Listening to the weather dorks, and the other talking new twits with them, piss and moan about normal winter temps. , makes me want to throw an can through the TV screen (though with these flat screen turds, would not have correct effect).

If they do not like , leave and do not let the door hit your arse on the way out.

RR

Last edited by Bob Riebe; 01-09-2020 at 02:10 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page