Are fiat/ram pickups junk? - Page 8 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 11:56 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
I always had the opinion of Chrysler products that they make pretty cars, but they aren't very reliable.

I am currently driving a 02 Lincoln Ls, 1990 F150, 82 GL1100 and 03 KLR650. All run well and have there problems on occasion. I fix them myself. Haven't had a car payment in 10 years or more.

Rosewood
I like the way you think! There is a guy here in town that has a 1978 Ford 1/2 ton pickup for sale. It came from Arizona and has zero rust. It has the 300 6 cylinder and a 4 speed manual transmission. It's only 2 wheel drive but it's right down my alley. I wish that he'd hurry up and sell it so I could quit thinking about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa&hisguns View Post
I like the way you think! There is a guy here in town that has a 1978 Ford 1/2 ton pickup for sale. It came from Arizona and has zero rust. It has the 300 6 cylinder and a 4 speed manual transmission. It's only 2 wheel drive but it's right down my alley. I wish that he'd hurry up and sell it so I could quit thinking about it.
How much does he want for it? Those were darn good trucks.
post #73 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 12:11 PM

I have a complete Ford 300 six, that came off a generator that only had 300 hrs on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 12:34 PM

Truth is all cars are better built today than they were 25 years ago. I had a Ford habit back in the 70's, 80's, and 90's. They all lasted over 150k before I sold them. The only reason I changed to GM/ Chevy is because Ford didn't have a rear locker on their trucks and Chevy did. Getting my Ford F150 and Ford Bronco pulled out of the ditch by Chevy trucks made me a believer. Haven't been stuck since.

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.
post #75 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 12:45 PM

well you commented that they suffer from engine failure and transmissions. Are you talking today or 20 years ago. Id venture to guess that 75 percent of the police cars in America today are hemi chargers. Same hemi and transmission that's in cars you buy. Matter of fact the same that's in my truck. Same that's in 3/4 ton trucks. Same that hold up to over 700 hp in a hellcat. Look at a ford with there 10 speeds and eco boost 6s. Step up to a 3/4 ton and you get a good old v8 and a 6 speed? Can you bet why. Look at my chevs. Step up to a 3/4 ton and you get different transmissions then the 1/2 tons there too. Take a look around on the internet and youlll see the 10 speed auto ford and chev shares has had some teething problems. But look at the 8 speed mopar. Its about as bullet proof as any transmission that's ever been made. Engines? Like I said hemis have more then proven themselves. If they were prone to failure im sure police depts. wouldn't depend on them.

Chev 5.3s? Pretty much a proven motor too. Its the ford eco boost turbo 6s that are still up for question but so far they've held up too other then the first year they came out. Fords 5.0 is as proven as any of them. I talked to my car salesmen who sells chevs out of a lot that fox motors owns that sell Chryslers in a different building. Hes allow to sell either as are all the salesman. When I bought my last chev in 17 he told me he drove a ram. I asked him why and he said there better trucks and the mechanics in both dealerships will tell you silverados are in for warrantee work more then the rams. Now that's one mans opinion and is about like asking your mechanic. The local mechanic here bleeds cheverolet. Ask him whats best and he will tell you hands down chevs. Go to another shop and the mechanic will be a ford man. My stepson is a diesel mechanic at a local big truck repair center. He drives a dodge cummings and will tell you rams are the only truck to buy. thing is when you come to a place like this you get opinions from people that never drove what there bashing, never owned one and are passing on bunk they got from someone else that thinks they know it all and don't.

Another reason for brand bashing is the "one bad apple thing" Someone gets a bad chev and all chevs are bad. Chev made the pos vega in the 70s so all chevs even today have to be junk. Dodge made the omni so all dodges are junk. Ford made the pinto so there all junk. Jeep made the renegade and patriot with are pos reliability wise so all jeeps are junk. Bottom line is they all make good trucks today. Its never been more of a toss up as to which is best then it is today. Motor trend two years in a row picked ram for truck of the year. Car and driver picked the ram this year. For the first year ever ram took 2nd place from chev is sales and that's without even a small truck to compete with the Colorado. Seems there doing something right. Ford and chev both saw reduced sales last year and those sales went to ram. Toyotas sales went down too. Matter of fact ram was the only truck manufacture that had better sales then last year. Its got them all scrambling and will if nothing else make the next gen of those trucks even better yet. By the way there hasn't been a dodge truck since 2010 so any opinion of a dodge is at least 10 years old. Aint your grandfathers d100 dodge with a slant 6 anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dave View Post
I'm asking all the mechanics I know what they think about Dodge/ RAM trucks. So far it's all been negative. Hope they are turning their reputation around but it's not happened yet.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!

Last edited by lloyd smale; 01-15-2020 at 12:47 PM.
post #76 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 12:54 PM

i can only speak for my experience here, but my 4.2 in my 98 f 150 had 200,000 when i bought it, and 292,000 when i drove it to the junk yard. the engine never gave me any trouble except shearing the pin for the oil pump drive, which wasn't a real difficult fix. as for chrysler, again, my experience is good. my wife's grand caravan is currently over 202000 miles and going strong! i've done maintenance, and preventive replacement, that is replacing things before they can be expected to go out. i've been shocked at the things that haven't worn out! since she puts about 30,000 miles a year on her van, at the current mileage, i am getting ready to do a total rebuild of the front end, plus all four wheel bearings, not because anything is loose, but because it's time. i would buy another without hesitation. as for dodge/ram trucks...everyone i know who has one loves them, but those people are mostly chrysler fans to start with. for my own part, i've not seen anything that would stop me from getting one if i were in the market for a truck and one showed up at a good price

Last edited by rkeltner; 01-15-2020 at 12:59 PM. Reason: adding to
post #77 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 01:08 PM

Regarding Police vehicles most departments are ditching the Chargers for Chevy or Ford SUV's due to maintenance and operating costs. Those are the mechanics I have been asking about their experience. Here is an article similar to what I've heard:

http://www.northwestgeorgianews.com/...a4bcf6878.html

The majority of top law enforcement officers in Polk County are not thrilled with the Dodge Charger as a patrol car, but they also said there isn’t much of an alternative.

Dodge’s police interceptor, first introduced in 2006, is a beefed-up version of the Charger Dodge first brought to the market in 2005. Since the first model, police agencies around the country have adopted the interceptor vehicle, including local law enforcement. Since then, police officers have had more trouble with the cars than they imagined.

All three have one car in mind that suited police well.

“In a perfect world, I’d like to have the (Ford) Crown Vic back,” Sorrells said, adding that he has used a Crown Victoria for 36 of his 38 years in law enforcement.

Dodd said the reasoning is simple: The Ford Crown Vic was reliable.

“The Crown Vic was a proven vehicle. When they did away with it, it was disappointing,” Dodd said.

Moats said, “If the Crown Vic were still available, we would go with them.”

As it is, Moats said his department’s next purchase will be Chevrolet Tahoes with all-wheel drive. The sheriff said those could be used in situations where there is snow and ice.

Here is another regarding PDs using over 50% SUVs:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...suv/103006874/

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.

Last edited by Lt. Dave; 01-15-2020 at 07:07 PM.
post #78 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 01:17 PM
Banned

Sure gotta agree with dodge making good minivans. My last 2 both new were expensive but never had a problem with either. Only thing ever happened was in Flagstaff when in a major snowstorm I made mistake of driving through big snow drift and my serpentine belt come off. Talk about fun putting that back on �� like I said I said also I had a hard time figuring out which truck to get for towing. The newer 6.7 ford diesel is great but the Cummins is a legendary engine which is a proven winner.
post #79 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dave View Post
Regarding Police vehicles most departments are ditching the Chargers for Chevy or Ford SUV's due to maintenance and operating costs. Those are the mechanics I have been asking about their experience. Here is an article similar to what I've heard:

http://www.northwestgeorgianews.com/...a4bcf6878.html

The majority of top law enforcement officers in Polk County are not thrilled with the Dodge Charger as a patrol car, but they also said there isn’t much of an alternative.

Dodge’s police interceptor, first introduced in 2006, is a beefed-up version of the Charger Dodge first brought to the market in 2005. Since the first model, police agencies around the country have adopted the interceptor vehicle, including local law enforcement. Since then, police officers have had more trouble with the cars than they imagined.

All three have one car in mind that suited police well.

“In a perfect world, I’d like to have the (Ford) Crown Vic back,” Sorrells said, adding that he has used a Crown Victoria for 36 of his 38 years in law enforcement.

Dodd said the reasoning is simple: The Ford Crown Vic was reliable.

“The Crown Vic was a proven vehicle. When they did away with it, it was disappointing,” Dodd said.

Moats said, “If the Crown Vic were still available, we would go with them.”

As it is, Moats said his department’s next purchase will be Chevrolet Tahoes with all-wheel drive. The sheriff said those could be used in situations where there is snow and ice.
I'm on my fourth Crown Vic. Good ones are getting hard to find.
post #80 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purebred View Post
Sure gotta agree with dodge making good minivans. My last 2 both new were expensive but never had a problem with either. Only thing ever happened was in Flagstaff when in a major snowstorm I made mistake of driving through big snow drift and my serpentine belt come off. Talk about fun putting that back on �� like I said I said also I had a hard time figuring out which truck to get for towing. The newer 6.7 ford diesel is great but the Cummins is a legendary engine which is a proven winner.
Cummins B2 and later variations are good engines. And no, for sale in the US and Canada Fiat does not make them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page