Are fiat/ram pickups junk? - Page 9 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dave View Post
Truth is all cars are better built today than they were 25 years ago. I had a Ford habit back in the 70's, 80's, and 90's. They all lasted over 150k before I sold them. The only reason I changed to GM/ Chevy is because Ford didn't have a rear locker on their trucks and Chevy did. Getting my Ford F150 and Ford Bronco pulled out of the ditch by Chevy trucks made me a believer. Haven't been stuck since.

Mine came with the limited slip. I wouldn't trade it for the world. It works both in forward and reverse, most lockers don't work in reverse. I have many times driven up the hill at our gun range in 2wd and watched a 4 runner in 4wd slipping and sliding all over the place.

The only time I have gotten stuck was at the city dump. Was dropping off a tree in the wood pile, backed down into the mud knowing I need 4wd to get out. My autolockers failed to lock. The safety clip that holds the snap ring in place broke and jammed the mechanism. Was an easy fix when I got home and figured it out and fortunately there was someone there to pull me out. No harm no foul.

Rosewood

Go Donald Go!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 07:33 AM

the electric locker in his one works up to 30mph in forward or reverse. they also don't have clutches that a limited slip has that can wear out and there on immediately and don't need to wait till your already spinning and burying you deaper to sense that spin and clutch in. Bottom line is about all hard core offroaders prefer an electric or air locker. One other thing you don't have to deal with if you live in the north is limited slips can make a vehicle a handful on icy roads. When that second wheel kicks in it kicks your truck sideways. You dont notice it as much in a truck as you do a short wheelbase jeep but it does happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
Mine came with the limited slip. I wouldn't trade it for the world. It works both in forward and reverse, most lockers don't work in reverse. I have many times driven up the hill at our gun range in 2wd and watched a 4 runner in 4wd slipping and sliding all over the place.

The only time I have gotten stuck was at the city dump. Was dropping off a tree in the wood pile, backed down into the mud knowing I need 4wd to get out. My autolockers failed to lock. The safety clip that holds the snap ring in place broke and jammed the mechanism. Was an easy fix when I got home and figured it out and fortunately there was someone there to pull me out. No harm no foul.

Rosewood

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!

Last edited by lloyd smale; 01-16-2020 at 07:38 AM.
post #83 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 07:49 AM

the 300 six was a great engine. I was one of the rare motors in the 70s that routinely went over a 100k. They weren't without problems though. My dad bought a mid 70s (I forgot the year but think it was 76) ford 1/2 ton 4x4 with a 300 in it. He had major problems with it and it eventually threw a rod at 8k. Come to find out ford let a bunch of them slip out of the factory with the two front cylinders bored to small. They ended up putting a new motor in it. He said the first year he had it its spent more time at the dealership then at his house. I came home on leave and decided to trade in my 77 chev on a 79 and he ended up buying my 77 and selling the ford. Hes one that doesn't have a great opinion of that motor or any fords anymore. But like others here he bases his opinion on 10-30 year old examples and has NO experience with anything in the last 2 or 3 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa&hisguns View Post
I like the way you think! There is a guy here in town that has a 1978 Ford 1/2 ton pickup for sale. It came from Arizona and has zero rust. It has the 300 6 cylinder and a 4 speed manual transmission. It's only 2 wheel drive but it's right down my alley. I wish that he'd hurry up and sell it so I could quit thinking about it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 08:12 AM

one of my good friend is our sheriff. last fall they got 3 new vehicles. another new charger, one of those ford suv cop specials and he picked himself up a ram pickup not because it was the band he wanted. It was the only choice for a set up police pickup. His own pickup is a gmc. I asked him what the guys thought of that ford. He said its FAST! Quite a bit quicker then the changers. His words were that it would eat the charger for lunch. But he also said that its about split down the middle on who likes it and who doesn't. He said the negatives hes heard is they don't handle as well or ride as well as the charger and with that slight turbo lag they can be a handful on icy roads. Positives were it was roomier and held more equipment like rescue gear. I guess time will tell with reliability but he did say his chargers have been great cars. Out of the 9 they've had since the first one he had the second one they bought have a transmission go bad at 7000 miles and after it was replace it was as trouble free as the others. What I wonder about in that ford is again you have an eco boost motor and 10 speed transmission that ford doesn't have enough faith in to put it in a 3/4 ton truck. Makes me wonder how it will hold up to police use for the long haul. He said the looked at the ford tarrus police car in comparison to the charger and all he had to so was sit in it and he knew it wasn't what they wanted. Said it was way to small inside and had a smaller trunk. Our local city police drive tahoes. Don't have a clue what they think of them but I guess they needs are different. they don't need speed because theres about 5 miles of highway in there jurisdiction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dave View Post
Regarding Police vehicles most departments are ditching the Chargers for Chevy or Ford SUV's due to maintenance and operating costs. Those are the mechanics I have been asking about their experience. Here is an article similar to what I've heard:

http://www.northwestgeorgianews.com/...a4bcf6878.html

The majority of top law enforcement officers in Polk County are not thrilled with the Dodge Charger as a patrol car, but they also said there isn’t much of an alternative.

Dodge’s police interceptor, first introduced in 2006, is a beefed-up version of the Charger Dodge first brought to the market in 2005. Since the first model, police agencies around the country have adopted the interceptor vehicle, including local law enforcement. Since then, police officers have had more trouble with the cars than they imagined.

All three have one car in mind that suited police well.

“In a perfect world, I’d like to have the (Ford) Crown Vic back,” Sorrells said, adding that he has used a Crown Victoria for 36 of his 38 years in law enforcement.

Dodd said the reasoning is simple: The Ford Crown Vic was reliable.

“The Crown Vic was a proven vehicle. When they did away with it, it was disappointing,” Dodd said.

Moats said, “If the Crown Vic were still available, we would go with them.”

As it is, Moats said his department’s next purchase will be Chevrolet Tahoes with all-wheel drive. The sheriff said those could be used in situations where there is snow and ice.

Here is another regarding PDs using over 50% SUVs:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...suv/103006874/

post #85 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd smale View Post
the electric locker in his one works up to 30mph in forward or reverse. they also don't have clutches that a limited slip has that can wear out and there on immediately and don't need to wait till your already spinning and burying you deaper to sense that spin and clutch in. Bottom line is about all hard core offroaders prefer an electric or air locker. One other thing you don't have to deal with if you live in the north is limited slips can make a vehicle a handful on icy roads. When that second wheel kicks in it kicks your truck sideways. You dont notice it as much in a truck as you do a short wheelbase jeep but it does happen.

Good points. We don't have much ice around here, but I can see it up North. A friend had a 2010 GMC with the locker that worked in forward, no way to enable or disable it, so guess it would have been an issue in icy weather.

Maybe the limited slip has clutches to wear out, but the electric or air locker can fail also.

I don't think mine "senses spin", they both turn together unless one side loads up more then it gives. But there may be different versions.

Rosewood

Go Donald Go!!
post #86 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 09:12 AM

whether its adding power to one side or taking it away from the other it still will kick your back end around. So much so that my wife wont even drive our jeep in the winter and when the roads are real slippery I don't even like driving it. You can feel when one of your wheels slip and it transfers power. I do agree with you though in anything can fail. A clutch posi is for the most part slipping on one side all the time and clutches wear. Back in the muscle car days most of us pulled out our posi units and put Detroit lockers in the rear because the posi's didn't have the same traction and clutches wore pretty fast when you beat on them. Electric lockers can lose power. Air locker can loose air. Detroit locker or any gear type locker I rugged and is going to allways be there but there a lot more noticeable in day to day driving with tires chirping and gears clicking and have the same problem as a limited slip on icy roads if not worse.

I guess everything is a compromise. I know most hard core off roaders prefer a manual lock like air or electric. Ford puts maunaly controlled lockers in its raptor and ram pickups use them in there off road package and jeeps use them on there rubicons. rubicons and raptors get them on the front and rear. We were out by camp in some deep mud one day and I got my jeep stuck. Its got 34 inch mud tires 410 gears and a rear limited slip. Had a buddy with me with his rubicon that has front and rear air lockers and about the same tires. He walked in there like he was driving on a highway and hooked on to me and pulled me out like it was nothing. Why? Because he had 4 tires locked up solidly with no slip. But all that said the average pickup guy isn't driving out in door deap mud. A limited slip is probably sufficient for anything your going to do in a pickup. That said I wouldn't give you a plugged nickle for a truck that had open differentials and with the ram you have your choice of an open differential or going with the off road package and getting an electric locker. So the choice was made for me. Wish they would have put them one both ends like the raptor and jeep. When were doing crop damage shooting in the fall we get into some pretty muddy farm fields and last year i got a bit nervous with the chev a few times. But it basically had car tires on it and this one has Goodyear duratracs which are MUCH more agressive. I know without that limited slip in the back id have needed a tractor to get out. Back in the 70s you could special order a chev with a limited slip on both ends. Not many knew it though. Heard they stopped because it caused some accidents on icy roads.
Quote:
Good points. We don't have much ice around here, but I can see it up North. A friend had a 2010 GMC with the locker that worked in forward, no way to enable or disable it, so guess it would have been an issue in icy weather.

Maybe the limited slip has clutches to wear out, but the electric or air locker can fail also.

I don't think mine "senses spin", they both turn together unless one side loads up more then it gives. But there may be different versions.

Rosewood

post #87 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 10:18 PM

I am on my 2nd Ram. My first one was perfect for 78k miles until I got hit by an idiot. My new to me 17 is just fine so far at 39k. Both V6/8 speed trans. First was a regular cab, new one is a Quad cab. I have had a bunch of Mopar products, including a 69 Hemi Roadrunner and they are about as good as any other vehicle out there. Ford products are the only ones that have stranded me.
post #88 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 05:28 AM

my biggest nemesis back in the 70s street racing my 70 ss454 Chevelle was an airman from the air force base and his hemi road runner. We both should have held on to them because we could swap them today for two new decked out pickups. Ive been a chev man since 75 until I bought this ram but truth be told I started out a mopar guy. My first car was a 69 gtx 440 and my first new car was a 73 340 duster that I traded at 2 years old even up for that ls6 Chevelle. That car is what made me a chev man. Were they reliable and would they go 200k? Not a chance but what was or would back then. Wish I had them back today with all there idiosyncrasy's!
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I am on my 2nd Ram. My first one was perfect for 78k miles until I got hit by an idiot. My new to me 17 is just fine so far at 39k. Both V6/8 speed trans. First was a regular cab, new one is a Quad cab. I have had a bunch of Mopar products, including a 69 Hemi Roadrunner and they are about as good as any other vehicle out there. Ford products are the only ones that have stranded me.

post #89 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 12:18 PM

My Expedition had a locker that was a real widow maker in icy conditions.

Got to the point it was noticeable on dry pavement. Gave it a healthy dose of friction modifier and it was well behaved thereafter. Seemed lots of Fords needed it, co-worker with a Lincoln Navigator had same problem a couple months later. Dosed it with $20 worth of snake oil and all was well again.

I need a kinder gentler machine gun

**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**
post #90 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
It is my understanding that 6 cylinder diesel engines in the Ram trucks are made by FIAT.

Rosewood
How come no one has "corrected" this yet? Or did they, and I missed it?

DM

Lincolns legacy is, he freed the slaves

Obama's legacy will be, he freed the terrorist!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page