Are fiat/ram pickups junk? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Default Are fiat/ram pickups junk?

Fiat and gm are still tainted as far as I'm concerned. Are the fiat/ram pickups junk? I have it on good authority that their transit vans are miserable to drive. Is fiat becoming a pickups and SUVs only like ford in the us?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 09:15 AM

Don't know personally if the Rams are good or not. Lot of people love them when they're new, but they've got a lot of bad reviews on long term reliability the past several years.

With Fiat now being the parent company I would be skeptical. Fiat is so bad they almost couldn't give away their own vehicles here in the U.S. The small Jeep SUVs are now all Fiats with Jeep nameplates - reviews haven't been good.
post #3 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 09:22 AM

i am a die hard mopar guy............when they killed off the small block chrysler, they are dead to me. notice those trucks don't say dodge on um.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 09:31 AM

Mopar made some strong motors back in the day! 440 GTX, 340 Duster - those things would GO when you mashed the gas pedal!! And don't forget the slant 6 - maybe the best inline 6 ever built.
post #5 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 09:45 AM

They are popular at the moment but I think it's a style and features type of popularity. Definitely not based on reliability. They are infamous for engine trouble, transmission problems and rust. Never hear of a Ram truck with 200,000 miles without a new transmission, motor and extensive body repair. But they are selling a lot of them. Are they all just hoping for the best?

All other brands seem to be good for 200k.

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.
post #6 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 09:47 AM

I had no idea that the Ram diesel truck existed until an old man pulled up next to me at the diesel pump in his two wheel drive model. He uses his truck as a daily commuter at mostly highway speeds and claimed an average of 25 mpg.

I was fueling my 11 mpg Ford F-350 4x4 dually flatbed. I use mine on the ranch in 4 wheel drive most of the time; I pull gooseneck stock & equipment trailers, haul feed etc. I canít even get across the low water crossing to access my ranch without 4 wheel drive.

He said his truck was reliable, comfortable, and powerful enough for his needs. He was sure proud of his truck and mileage. However, it was really comparing apples and oranges.

Iím directly under the cloud...the big puffy one.
Famous last words, Scout Platoon Leader, 6th Battalion, 327th Infantry
Fort Greeley, Alaska 1983

What the Rons said.
Ron Swanson & Ron Burgundy
post #7 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeslayer View Post
i am a die hard mopar guy............when they killed off the small block chrysler, they are dead to me. notice those trucks don't say dodge on um.
I was a mopar fan during the muscle car era and later mt first new car was a plymouth that was a great car. I have been in the new fiat cars and suvs and i have no idea why anyone would buy one. The word sh*tbox predates the modern fiats but its as if the word was coined specifically for them.
post #8 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 10:29 AM
WLB

I bought a new Barracuda with 340 High Performance engine and 4 speed trans in 69. The thing used a quart of oil every 100 miles from the day I bought it and the trans required very slow operation to get to the next gear. Dealers couldn't fix it and I sold it one year later in showroom condition for 50% of what I paid for it. The thing would accelerate but the slow trans (poor syncros I later learned) meant playing catch up with Boss 302's and Z28s.

Haven't been a Chrysler fan since. I'd bet their association with Fiat, and now Peugeot, hasn't improved things. I did rent an Intrepid once for a trip west and if I wasn't paying attention I'd be doing 90+ mph. I banged that one off the rev limiter multiple times on that trip. Great fun but after looking under the hood I was glad I didn't own it. Their 4.0 straight six, developed from AMC's 232 was a good engine, as was the 4 cylinder Jeep engine that was also developed from it. .
post #9 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 10:39 AM

Have to say my last two Dodge vehicles, both vans have been top notch. We faced the challenge of which truck to buy for pulling our 5th wheel. Looked at all the American trucks very hard and finally ended up with a Ford. Even though I liked them all. I know the tow ability of new Rams are outrageous. I did read some where that ram was out selling GM. Don't know if it is fake news or not.
post #10 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 10:45 AM

From Spruce:
Quote:
Mopar made some strong motors back in the day! 440 GTX, 340 Duster - those things would GO when you mashed the gas pedal!!
They could. For a short while I had a 70 340/4speed Dart. No P/S or A/C. The car was a noisy beast that would dump the ashtray if you bang shifted. In the winter the transmission was very, very stiff until driven a few miles than all was fine. It was a nice sounding hard running mother however.
GliderJohn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page