Kenwood, sansui, akai. Remember when stereos were symbols of virility? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Default Kenwood, sansui, akai. Remember when stereos were symbols of virility?

https://flashbak.com/hi-fi-heaven-st...-1980s-371214/

I knew people who were really into their stereos, and also into hi fi during the 1950s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 11:50 PM

Ah yes, the 70's were great. I had a Sansui receiver and speakers with a Technics turntable. The receiver gave up the ghost years ago and I sold the turntable. I do still have all four of my Sansui speakers though. I rarely use them any more, but it brings back good memories to still have them.

Jim

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those Who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Thomas Jefferson
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 12:14 AM

Harmon Kardon receiver here. Nakamichi cassette deck, Technique turntable and CD player, with a pair of Polk audio speakers.

Got it put back together while the youngest was home still. “Oh yea I guess that’s sounds pretty good “ too much trouble though. Pearls before swine.

I need a kinder gentler machine gun

**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 01:04 AM

HH Scott receiver here with a Garrard turn table and a Ampex Reel to real with 12 inch wolfers a 4x6 horn tweeter and a 8 inch mid range all mounted in a 8 ft. long mahogany cabinet that I built back in 1965 at that time it was top of the line along with Kenwood and some of the other top brands, man it really sounded great there was a stereo station in San Francisco KFOG at 10 pm the disk jockey, James J Gabbard would play all kinds of great sound stuff for stereo. one was where they rolled a bowling ball and you could here it go from left to right speaker really sounder great with ear phones on felt like the ball rolled right through your ear also had a freight train that did the same thing man those were the good old days. This was in the late sixties I still have mine but have not had it on in years.

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 08:10 AM

yup had to upgrade to a pioneer 75 watt per channel because it had the power needles that moved with the music. Remember when high tech was a cassette player that would skip to the next song on fast forward. Comical thing is a typical car comes with more watts per channel then some of us stereo nuts had in the 70s in our homes

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 12:41 PM

I have a big old Pioneer out in the shop with the speakers mounted in the rafters and angled down. I'm using the aux speakers as I don't have room for the primaries. No matter, it has enough power to blow you out the door with the smaller speakers. It will probably out live me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page