Really good every day carry pocket knife - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Default Really good every day carry pocket knife

I got a new everyday carry pocket knife. I've been wanting one with scissors, like on that little popular Swiss Army knife, but bigger. The pioneer x model is such a knife. Blade and scissors are excellent. Longer blade. Bigger scissors. I really like this. I've been using it about a month and I like it better than the little ones I've had. Biggest complaint from reviewers is that it's hard to open the scissors, so I practiced that for a while and can now easily do it without even looking at the knife.

https://www.swissarmy.com/us/en/Prod...-X/p/0.8231.26
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 10:15 AM

It looks like a nice size to pocket carry - not too big a bulky like the more elaborate models.

Personally, I require one that has tweezers. Granted they're not the world's greatest tweezers, but are so handy to always have them readily available and they will function just fine for 90% of what I need tweezers for.

I use the scissors and knife blade about equally, maybe the scissors even more, and the tweezers are the third most used.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

That's the important thing. That it has the utility you need and is handy.

They might gave a model with blade and scissors and tweezers and little else.

Victorinox acquired the company that also made swiss army knives.

I need to see and examine knives when I'm shopping. They also had these evolution series knife. I preferred the pioneer x but reviews for this one are very good.

https://www.swissarmy.com/us/en/Prod...gaAq6XEALw_wcB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 11:53 AM

That is one of a very few SAK’s I truly appreciate. The plastic scales are too slick for my tastes, but are iconic to the type.

I too like the scissors on my leatherman tool and for me the file is very useful, probably more often than any other tool or blade. The Leatherman stays near me and a regular single blade folder stays on me, which explains the rare use of the blade on the leatherman.

I need a kinder gentler machine gun

**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 02:54 PM

Like CTL I had several of the small Swiss army knives with the scissors and a small blade. For carry scissors now I like the small Leatherman; if has scissors instead of pliers and it has a very sharp small blade, tweezers, sm. screwdriver, file etc. This is very small and fits nicely in any pocket, it also has a ring to hang from your keys if you like that. for pocket knives I still like the old Buck folders, from small "pen knife" to serious skinners.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

For daily carry I use the pioneer x, the new one with long blade and scissors. For outdoors and anytime I'm traveling I have the Swiss champ in my pocket or in the car. The champ is bigger and heavier and has a bunch of tools on it. The thing I like about the pioneer x is that it goes into my pocket and is unobtrusive. The champ is bulky. A few times, I've wanted a functionality that the pioneer doesn't have, and I've used the champ instead.

I have carried stockman, Barlow, and those little Swiss Army knives. The little Swiss was more practical and useful than either the Barlow or stockman. I'm really enjoying the bigger blade and scissors of the pioneer x.

One thing about tweezers. For pulling out a splinter, having both the tweezers and the magnifying glass as on the champ is a good thing. I can see the splinters better.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWBear View Post
Like CTL I had several of the small Swiss army knives with the scissors and a small blade. For carry scissors now I like the small Leatherman; if has scissors instead of pliers and it has a very sharp small blade, tweezers, sm. screwdriver, file etc. This is very small and fits nicely in any pocket, it also has a ring to hang from your keys if you like that. for pocket knives I still like the old Buck folders, from small "pen knife" to serious skinners.
Beware of using the knife with keys. A lot of car ignitions don't like the weight of heavy key rings and they will actually break, requiring a new ignition switch to be installed.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 03:35 PM

ya know...i've heard that for a long time, but haven't really experienced it. myself, i carry a large amount of weight on my keys, and have known others who do, also, but have encountered few ignition key cylinder failures, and i tend to drive my vehicles till they die!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkeltner View Post
ya know...i've heard that for a long time, but haven't really experienced it. myself, i carry a large amount of weight on my keys, and have known others who do, also, but have encountered few ignition key cylinder failures, and i tend to drive my vehicles till they die!
I had it happened to me twice on different cars. That's how I learned about it.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 12:04 AM

Since the 18th of July, 2018, I've been carrying a Victorinox executive as my EDC pocket knife. I only go t it after reading Chuck Yeager's book "Press On" and how he used this one as his EDC pocket knife to include as his fishing knife for the two week trips into the Sierra Nevada mountains for his trout fishing backpacking trips.

I love the Victorinox Swiss Army knives. Ca't bet them for every day versatility. Not just a knife, but deals with both flat and Phillips screws, has very good scissors, nail file tip that makes a grew awl or small Phillips, and tweezers that really work.

In the past year and a half, I haven't had the executive let me down yet.

Don't over do it, just enough will do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page