Harbor Freight - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Default Harbor Freight

Well we have one coming to our little town in a few weeks, they are busy stocking it now. I really hope it does good because the town is small and may not support it. I am glad it is coming as it will save me a hundred mile round trip if I need something from them. I don't buy a lot from them but maybe now I can shop them more often.

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 10:39 AM

They have good prices on Chinese junk. If you want disposable tools, etc then there the place to shop. If you use your tools a lot then what they sell is a waste of money. JMO

But Walmart is about the same anymore.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 10:42 AM
Banned

They have a lot more than Walmart. If you're a novice like most then harbor freight is great. Glad to see you getting one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

Deacon & pastor...at our ages, we are not employed by the skills of our labor using tools! Harbor Freight does sell Chinese "junk", as you say, that we buy, use, and sometimes throw away, but it is doubtful if it fails from overuse...and more likely from misuse or disuse. Some tools are made for hard use, some for moderate use, and others are to be avoided. I think we know which are which when we go out to purchase something.

I do not shop Harbor Freight, Northern Tools, Tractor Supply, etc., very often, so they are not staying in business on my account and I suspect not on yours either. I have found some deals at HF that I could not pass up, and immediately needed tractor and farming parts at TS, which are continuing to serve me today in the limited times I have used these tools and "expendables".

The Big Ticket items will still be the expensive toys we purchase to make ourselves feel good and not necessarily the limited use, lesser quality, or cheaper cost (that pesky triangle COST-TIME-QUALITY again) with which we can get by. When I am dead and gone, I don't have anyone to whom to leave a $1,500 air compressor that'll drive a $4,500 set of impact tools, so I don't own either for the very-very limited use that I might eventually put on these. I get by with the lower hanging fruit...

Last edited by land_owner; 02-25-2020 at 11:02 AM.
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 10:49 AM
Dee

Well, Harbor Freight also sells a line of wrenches, sockets, ratchets ect, that have a lifetime warranty.

"REPUBLIC OF TEXAS"!
To The Politician: if your not right with God, your not right for this country.
Phil Robertson, Duck Dynasty
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorp View Post
They have good prices on Chinese junk. If you want disposable tools, etc then there the place to shop. If you use your tools a lot then what they sell is a waste of money. JMO

But Walmart is about the same anymore.
I don't trust there China made hydraulic jacks. I've seen them blow a seal and drop things. Other than
that I guess the rest of they're stuff is ok.
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 10:52 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

I'd shop Harbor Freight every day of the week before I would shop Walmart. However like PastorP says you won't find any Klein tools at Harbor Freight. Back in 1996 I bought a $110 dollar non brand name chop saw from HF and built a house and garage using mostly just that saw. I then sold the saw for $50 at one of moms garage sales. It was one of the best investments of my building projects days. Now that's not to say that the one on the shelf next to mine didn't take a dump after cutting a dozen 2x4s but at least I drew a good one. That's kinda how it as HF....you are always rolling the dice.

I do use their red powder coat paint for my cast bullets with pretty good results.....if that says anything.
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 10:56 AM

So did sears, but last time I tried to get a sears tool replaced they told me they didnít do that anymore.

Iíve bought a few things from harbor freight but none of them lasted very long. But then I didnít know they guaranteed any wrenches. Loweís is just as bad. I have bought wrenches and hand tools their and channel locks wore out pretty quick. So did their edged tools like chisels.

Granted I donít use them like I did when I was younger but Iím already replacing some tools I bought when I retired. They should last 7 years.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 11:23 AM

Harbor Freight has some good buys, and just like anyplace else you have to pick and choose. Most of their stuff is a good buy for the hobbyist or light to moderate use.

As far as the "Chinese junk" part - a lot of the name brand high dollar stuff is now made in China (Dewalt, etc).

You have an iphone don't you pastorp? Chinese junk!!! If I were you I'd throw that away and go buy an American made iphone! ha
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 11:28 AM

I agree about Tractor Supply, I thought their stuff was going to be better than how it turned out.
Bought their top of the line 1/2 inch impact from them and it wouldn't even break loose a simple lug nut.
They did give me a refund though. I didn't want an exchange.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page