What's up with March? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Default What's up with March?

It's supposed to be windy and dry in these parts and always has been. Not this March. We have had a few days where the wind got up enough to be annoying, just high enough to make you pull your hat down firmly to keep it from blowing off. It's also been wet. I'm somewhere close to four inches of rain for the month and it started raining again early last night and is still going. It's projected to last until sometime tomorrow and the long range forecast is for thunderstorms next week.

I'm not complaining. I'm enjoying it in fact. The only downside is the way the weeds are growing and I can't poison them until it dries up. I did get out and pull the largest weeds out of the rock gardens earlier this week but my graveled driveway is covered in the things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 01:36 PM

Well, up until this morning, we up here in the PNW were enjoying a kind of unusual March that was mostly dry and sunny--a spring preview. This morning a bunch of white global warming is falling from the sky. That's okay because it will stick up in the mountains, but not down here at near sea level. Spring is supposed to come back by Sunday. Goody.

Swingem
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldandslow View Post
It's supposed to be windy and dry in these parts and always has been. Not this March. We have had a few days where the wind got up enough to be annoying, just high enough to make you pull your hat down firmly to keep it from blowing off. It's also been wet. I'm somewhere close to four inches of rain for the month and it started raining again early last night and is still going. It's projected to last until sometime tomorrow and the long range forecast is for thunderstorms next week.

I'm not complaining. I'm enjoying it in fact. The only downside is the way the weeds are growing and I can't poison them until it dries up. I did get out and pull the largest weeds out of the rock gardens earlier this week but my graveled driveway is covered in the things.
Did you guys get that thick fog this morning? We haven't gotten any real bad winds yet this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 01:53 PM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

Thanks guys! You have diverted all of those winds to the midwest. I replaced flags on one flag pole twice in two weeks and these are not cheap flags. A few days ago we had sustained winds of 40-50 mph all night and most of the next day with higher gusts. In this town the city provides wheel out plastic trash cans for the residents. All of those trash cans were in a pile at the end of the block. I just took one off of the top of the pile and by luck of the draw I got one that was cleaner than mine....so all's well that ends well!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent11 View Post
Did you guys get that thick fog this morning? We haven't gotten any real bad winds yet this year.

Sure did and we still have it. Maybe 200 yard visibility and we have to go to the grocery store. I'm going to drive carefuly because of the idiots that think they can see just as well as on a clear day. I'm going to have to get the owner's manual out and see how to turn on the fog lamps as I've forgotten how.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 02:20 PM

Temp. have been close to average more than not this year but it is far drier for March than the norm.

Last year it was below average temp. and above moisture, which I prefer to a dry March.
Forty Five years ago, above average March weather killed most of the Snowmobile Industry that was booming out of control.

Here it can be sub-zero with deep snow this time of year or short sleeve shirt, no coat, weather at the other end of the scale.
Fifteen years ago, we had a stretch of truly warm dry March years and that sucked the bag as we used to say.

The few truly warm days we have had a week ago, followed by hard freeze temps. days later does bad things to trees and shrubs.
Killed a nice Catalpa tree here three years ago.

RR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page