Dang this computer.. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Default Dang this computer..

This laptop is still screwed up, so I will likely have to spring for a new one, so I may be off line for a while again.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.. (Gen George S. Patton)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 11:32 AM

You can get a refurbished on Amazon for a lot less. Some companys like the insurance companys turn them in after about
a year.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 11:48 AM

Iíve been using an iPad for over 6 years canít find a reason to go laptop or full size pc.

Of course your needs may be quite different.

I need a kinder gentler machine gun

**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 12:17 PM

I had two of my laptops checked and tuned up a little over a year ago.
I took one back in yesterday that simply quit working but then the other half plays computer games on it and the type she used can bring garbage with them.
I probably could have fixed it by letting it reset to an earlier date but then her games would have gone pffft, so I took it in for a tune-up and they can zap the games.
It is a 17 inch model and I wish the other two were also.

My Sony , which is actually working fine, I am going to take in again as it starts to slowly and they put in a new hard drive, and repaired the plug in a year ago plus it would not load a Windows 7 important download.
It also seems to run hot but gets over it after a bit.

This HP is working OK but I may take it in just because I can.

The want me to go to Windows 10 but told them if I had not lost the master disc, I would still be running Windows 98.

I have PC with 98 that was corrupted, so I gut the system, but the Office part still works fine so I use that as a Word Processor and it works just fine.
If it ever dies, I will be very, very sad.

RR

Last edited by Bob Riebe; 03-26-2020 at 01:33 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe View Post
I had two of my laptops checked and turned up a little over a year ago.
I took one back in yesterday that simply quit working but then the other half plays computer games on it and the type she used can bring garbage with them.
I probably could have fixed it by letting it reset to an earlier date but then her games would have gone pffft, so I took it in for a tune-up and they can zap the games.

My Sony , which is actually working fine, I am going to take in again as it starts to slowly and they put in a new hard drive, and repaired the plug in a year ago plus it would not load a Windows 7 important download.

The want me to go to Windows 10 but told them if I had not lost the master disc, I would still be running Windows 98.

I have PC with 98 that was corrupted, so I gut the system, but the Office part still works fine so I use that as a Word Processor and it works just fine.
I wouldn't write off Windows 10. I've had it since it first came out and so far I wouldn't trade it for anything. I run Linux on my desk top and that is great too. Some of the phones and tablets these days are simply amazing. For the money, the 10 inch Fire is super.

Swingem
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe View Post
I had two of my laptops checked and tuned up a little over a year ago.

It's time to move on up to modern times. Bob. Windows 7 became a dead horse in January.

I've been using Windows 10 since it became available. I'm not anything close to a competent computer user but it is much simpler to use than any of it's predecessor even for a hack like me. My desktop just lost it's hard drive. My son has a long background in computer use and repair so I need go no farther than him for fixes or questions. He replaced the hard drive and installed naked Windows 10 on it which has none of the junk that manufactures install on their versions. It' much faster than with the old hard drive. I was lucky as he told me yesterday that the naked version is now gone for download.

I much prefer a desktop to a laptop and tablets are annoying, especially ipads, to me.The only reasons I have one is so my two oldest great grand daughters and I can draw on it and I can watch movies, etc. on it while riding my exercise bike. I prefer my 2019 Kindle Fire 10" for a tablet but it's use is over 90% book reading and it excels at that. My son and I share a Prime account and we get each other's books. There is close to 900 books on each of ours now, all on something that is about a sixth the thickness of a regular paperback novel. With the size of the sd card they can use you can put a small town library on one and still have space left.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page