Riding lawn mowers? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-27-2020, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Default Riding lawn mowers?

I am wanting to buy one but don't know anything about them such as who makes most of them and what one is the best one to buy fer the money, I think one co. makes most of them and just slaps on a different name. please help. thanks in advance chuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-27-2020, 09:03 PM

Buy low. Use it a couple ice cream seasons then sell high...
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-27-2020, 09:04 PM

Gun Cabinet

I'm on my 2nd Husqvarna 24/48 and love it. I looked at big green, but chose the Husky and im glad I did.

Last edited by 336ER; 03-28-2020 at 02:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-27-2020, 09:13 PM

My current by low is a husky varnish 26 hp 54” deck. Seen one season. One more to go...
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-27-2020, 09:14 PM

2. Current Brands Names For Lawn & Garden Tractors:
Allis Chalmers Lawn Tractors – Current manufacture – Briggs & Stratton. You will see this line mainly at Simplicity and ag dealers. In 2008, Briggs & Stratton Power Products, LLC, announced it would be restoring the Allis-Chalmers brand to the lawn and garden industry with two new lawn tractors. Available at Simplicity dealerships, the tractors harken back to the glory days of the Allis-Chalmers farm tractor. The design of the new AC130 lawn tractor is reminiscent of these products, leaning heavily on the familiar orange color and distinctive Allis-Chalmers logo.

Ariens Lawn Tractors – Current lawn and garden tractors are made for Ariens by Husqvarna Outdoor Products. Ariens owns the brand. Ariens® lawn and garden equipment has been the choice of discerning homeowners for more than 75 years. Built tough but easy to operate, Ariens delivers a heritage of reliable performance, year after year. Ariens products are available at independent power equipment dealers in North America and Europe, The Home Depot stores, broad-line MRO (maintenance, repair and operating) suppliers, regional farm retailers and select online retailers.

Bolens Lawn Tractors – Current manufacture – MTD – The name is only used for low priced Yard Machines style lawn tractors. MTD owns the Brand
Craftsman Lawn Tractors – Current lawn tractors are made for Craftsman by MTD. Sears Holdings Company owns the brand
Craftsman Yard & Garden Tractors – Current yard and garden tractors are made for Craftsman by Husqvarna Outdoor Products. Sears Holdings Company owns the brand. With a best-in-class 6″ turning radius
and a new top speed of 7.5 mph, no other mower turns this tightly and cuts this quickly.

Craftsman Pro – Current lawn tractors are made for Craftsman by MTD. Sears Holdings Company owns the brand
Cub Cadet Lawn & Garden Tractors – Current manufacture – MTD. MTD owns the Brand. MTD was founded over 80 years ago based on some basic values: Stewardship; Integrity; Hard Work; Reliance on and Respect for People; Innovation; Willingness to take Risks; Gratitude for Customers and Promotion from Within. Today, we’re proud to say these values still continue to drive our decisions. They’ve been integral to our success and growth.

Dixon Lawn Tractors – Discontinued – Husqvarna Outdoor Products. Husqvarna owns the Brand

Husqvarna Lawn Tractors, Husqvarna Riders – Current manufacture – Husqvarna Outdoor Products. Husqvarna owns the Brand. What makes a Husqvarna? How come people all over the world expect a certain feel and finish when picking up, or getting on, a Husqvarna product? We’d like to think that our significant experience has a lot to do with it – of which we have almost 400 years.

John Deere 100 and 300 Series Lawn Tractors – Current manufacture – John Deere. Since its founding in 1837, John Deere has seen a great many changes in its business, its products, its services. Change always comes with opportunity. And Deere has always been ready and willing to embrace it. Yet, through it all, John Deere is still dedicated to those who are linked to the land – farmers and ranchers, landowners, builders, and loggers. And Deere has never outgrown, nor forgotten, its founder’s original core values. Those values determine the way we work, the quality we offer, and the unsurpassed treatment you get as a customer, investor, employee.

Kubota Lawn Tractors – Current manufacture – Kubota Manufacturing of America. Kubota Manufacturing of America (KMA) was formed in 1988 as Kubota’s North American manufacturing base. KMA manufactures and assembles Kubota lawn tractors, zero-turn mowers, sub-compact tractors, utility vehicles, loaders, backhoes, and other implements. Today, approximately one-half of all Kubota branded equipment sold in the United States is manufactured or assembled at its Gainesville, Georgia facility.

Massey Ferguson Lawn Tractors – Current manufacture – Primarily sold in Canada – Briggs & Stratton.

Poulan Lawn Tractors, Poulan Pro Lawn Tractors – Current manufacture – Husqvarna Outdoor Products. Husqvarna owns the Brand

Simplicity Lawn & Garden Tractors – Current manufacture – Briggs & Stratton. Briggs & Stratton owns the Brand

Snapper Lawn Tractors – Current manufacture – Briggs & Stratton. Briggs & Stratton owns the Brand

Steiner Lawn Tractors – Current manufacture – Schiller Grounds Care. Steiner production is now done through the Johnson Creek facility in Johnson Creek, Wisconsin with a new and bright outlook for the future.

Toro Lawn & Garden Tractors – Current lawn and garden tractors are made for Toro by MTD. Toro owns the Brand

Troy-Bilt Lawn Tractors – Current manufacture – MTD. MTD owns the Brand

Ventrac Lawn Tractors – Current manufacture – Venture Products, Inc. VENTRAC’s versatility offers over 30 different attachments. Combining these with our Ventrac Mount System (less than a minute to attach or detach attachments) gives you a small power pack designed for maximum performance and versatility for many different market places, including the following: Landscapers, Municipalities, Churches, Universities, Golf Courses, Homeowners, Parks, Sport Facilities, Shopping Malls, Tree Growers, Rental Yards, Nurseries, Airports and much more. Venture Products, Inc. has two major facilities in Orrville, Ohio, USA.

White Lawn Tractors – Current manufacture – MTD – The name is only used for low priced Yard Machines style lawn tractors. MTD owns the Brand

Yard Machines & Yardman Lawn Tractors – Current manufacture – MTD – MTD owns the Brand

RR

Last edited by Bob Riebe; 03-27-2020 at 09:18 PM.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-27-2020, 09:33 PM

I've had this model..must be since about 2008 or 2009, and I am completely happy with it. I changed the blades last season.

https://www.tractordata.com/lawn-tra...ere-la115.html

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.. (Gen George S. Patton)
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-27-2020, 10:11 PM

Depends on how much lawn you have to cut and how long you expect the mower to last.

I mow a 3/4 acre lawn and an acre and half of trails out back and around the pole barn. I used a 1986 Case 16 hp 446 for 35 years but parts became difficult to get.....and it was not as fast as the new zero turn mowers.

I don't particularly enjoy mower time....allergies and have better things to do....but also cherish independence and the ability to do it myself. Don't like hiring out work if I can do it. So, I bought an ExMark zero turn commercial mower when parts for the Case became a problem. Expensive, but mowing time was literally cut in half and when I get too old to mow I'll be able to sell it with relatively low hours and get good money for it.

Simplicity, Husqvarna, Scagg, ExMark, Deere and others make commercial mowers that should outlast you. Look at the engine warranties and get the model that offers the longest...in hours...engine warranty. Husqvarna might be the best value. I chose ExMark because of local dealer service availability and dealer longevity. Husky's were available locally as well but there was no service at the point of sale. They shipped them 30 miles away for repairs.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-27-2020, 10:28 PM

Last mower was a 1985 IH582 with a 48" deck that we replaced in 2012 with a JD X-720 with a 62" deck. Like the JD x720 much better. We mow about 2.5 acres with it and use it with a plow for about 300' of driveway in the winter. So far, new air filter, oil filter every year, sharpen the blades 2x a season, new plow wear strip every 3 years and weld on 1/2" pads to the bottom of the plows guide feed every other year. Did have to replace the mower deck guide wheels and their axles about half way through last summer and the battery a couple of months ago. About the only thing I'd trade it for would be the newer version with the drive on deck hook-up or perhaps a zero turn.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 09:52 AM

I have two, an '07 54" cut Craftsman with a Kohler engine. I have managed to break one blade spindle when I hit a rock that I didn't see and have had to replace the bearings in one spindle. Other than that it's been regular oil and filter changes and several sets of blades. This mower is used for pasture mowing which is pretty heavy service. I believe it was made by Husquvarna as it and the the Husky sitting beside it on the show room floor were pretty much twins except for color and price.

I also have a 36" Cub Cadet with a grass catcher as it will fit thru my yard gates. It's starting it's third season next week when I start mowing the spring weed and grass. It's given no problem.

I am going to make a recommendation based on many years of mowing. Get the hydrostatic model whatever you choose even though it's more expensive. It will save you a ton of work and cut down a lot on the time you spend mowing.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 10:58 AM

Gun Cabinet

I have a newer JD rider and a 1987 JD 318. There is no comparison between the 2. When the newer one dies I will be looking for another old 318, they mow better and have power steering, hydraulic deck lift and a 3 point hitch. Around here you can pick a nice one up for about 20% of the cost of a new one. Unless you spend big bucks you won't get these features on most new riders. They just don't make 'em like they use to. Just my .02

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

― John Wayne "The Shootist"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page