For the older fellows here is a Question - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Default For the older fellows here is a Question

Back in my teen years after I was released from active duty and began playing around with custom cars. The fellows would buy a 2 door convertible and chop, channel and lower them and replace the old cloth top with a custom built padded Carson top they were all the rage from around 53 up till and maybe 1960 so do any of you fellows remember them or am I showing my age They were very expensive and had a headliner inside they had the convertible look but they did not fold up. Also a car heater made by Stewart warner that heated with gas vaper from an adaptor under the carburetor. They worked grate almost instant heat but your gas mileage sure dropped way off.

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 04:29 PM

I remember seeing some of those at local hot rod meets and at the drag strips. Sometimes they would have special runs for them and it was cool. The tops were interesting and more functional than thought because they didn't leak. But sometimes those gas vapor heaters did, with not good results. However, that idea became one of the bases for the move to attempt gasoline vapor powered engines for better mileage. Actually, the engine did not perform any better or get better mileage, the vaporization process was said to expand one gallon of gasoline approximately 10 times but it turned out to be a bit more, ummmm, volatile than useful. Just a thought.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 06:58 PM

I recall them, but never could afford them..either to buy or build.

Trim items I remember and had some examples of.. Fender skirts, curb feelers, Moon hubcaps, spokes, continental kits, sun visors, mud flaps,

and fox tails.

In fact, a few years ago, I shot a fox with my .17 HMR and acquainted my grandson with the old fad of attaching a fox tail to the antenna.

I gave him the tail and he affixed it. A couple days later, it was stolen off his truck while he was at work..

I did shave the hood on my 1950 Studebaker Champion starlight coupe....and I did an engine swap..replacing the 4cyl engine in a Jeep wagon, with a Studebaker 6 cyl.

Just a few things which may bring back memories...like the garter hanging from the rear view mirror..in those days the garter was more often

presented, rather than taken..

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.. (Gen George S. Patton)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

I forgot the garter thing none of the girls that I went with wore them, garter belts were in vogue along with corsets' they were more of a modern day Chasity belt that a lot of young ladies wore. Here we have went from Carson tops on cars to ladies under wear, oh well off and running but what fond memories. When we had the old floor shift and no console your girl could sit close and do the shifting for you while you had your arm around her, man those were the good old days, automat transmissions got rid of that, well almost.

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEACONLLB View Post
I forgot the garter thing none of the girls that I went with wore them, garter belts were in vogue along with corsets' they were more of a modern day Chasity belt that a lot of young ladies wore. Here we have went from Carson tops on cars to ladies under wear, oh well off and running but what fond memories. When we had the old floor shift and no console your girl could sit close and do the shifting for you while you had your arm around her, man those were the good old days, automat transmissions got rid of that, well almost.

Deaconllb
Those garters were trophies from prom night, or perhaps from a maid of honor deal, etc.

Yes, those bench seats in front..we used to call them COD seats.. When we hit a sweeping right turn, it was a "come over dear" seat !

Yes, there was a certain coziness lost when the bench type seats went bye~bye..

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.. (Gen George S. Patton)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 07:17 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

I had a pair of fuzzy dice hanging from my mirror in old Ernest! Ernest was a 1955 five window Chevy pickup. I was told that the old guy(Gus) that was the original owner was a "Rounder". I didn't even know what that meant when I acquired that truck in the late 70's. Ernest(after Ernest Tubb) always had a peculiar smell that I couldn't make go away. However that smell disappeared when I replaced the bench seat with bucket seats. Dad burn it Gus!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page