One for railroad/steam fans.. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Default One for railroad/steam fans..

Trying to brighten the day; here is a video my son made a few years ago, featuring a local short excursion train. It was done with his first, less sophisticated drone. Enjoy !

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.. (Gen George S. Patton)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 10:42 AM

When I was a kid we lived seven miles east of the railroad and on a cloudy, damp day I could hear it's steam whistle blow on about three road crossings. Along about the time I entered high school the RR modernized to a diesel. Horns on diesel just make rackets but steam whistles are still music to me. The RR of my youth is long gone. All that remains is the roadbed. In your part of the world I imagine the RR plows snow. Mine plowed sand in the spring.

A few years ago we rode the Cumbres/Toltec train that runs from Antonito, CO to Chama, NM. A few years before vandals had burned the main bridge on the line and it was shut down while the two states scared up enough money to rebuild it but it finally got done. We were on the first passenger run after the rebuild. Of course they had made a trial run before. We could see quite a way back behind to a small yellow contraption following along and at the noon meal and rest break a few of us talked to the operator and asked him what it was for. He was the firefighter and said he had put out five fires the train started with cinders on our morning run. My appreciation for the automobile increased a great deal on that trip and the bus ride ride back to Antonito was very nice after hours on that train.

Thanks for the video and bringing back memories.

Last edited by oldandslow; 03-30-2020 at 12:01 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

This train only makes excursion runs for a few miles each way..besides servicing a few local businesses. For a while, some local guys dressed as

desperados and "held up' the train about half way along the route.

Maintenance is a costly thing. They have to tear down the steam engine every few years and do na complete overhaul, under scrutinizing federal eyes.

The old steam trains..do you remember how, when we walked the tracks hunting groundhogs etc? The railbeds were different from today,

in that we walked upon a bed of cinders.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.. (Gen George S. Patton)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 11:16 AM

Thanks for posting, I love steam trains!

Here's a quick video I took a couple years ago of one of the steam trains on the Mt. Washington Cog Railway in New Hampshire. It climbs to the summit elevation of 6288 ft.

"The railway climbs 3,719 feet from the base station to the summit. It has an average grade of 25 percent, or 1,300 feet to the mile - the steepest rail line in the world. The maximum grade over Jacob's Ladder (a steep section about 2/3 of the way up) is 37.4 percent. This means that there is approximately a 14-foot elevation difference between passengers in the front and back ends of the coach. "

Liberal Logic 101:
Americans shall be required to submit to a background check to exercise a right already guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment while any foreigner shall be allowed into America without submitting to a background check.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 11:37 AM

Living in WNY, I have ridden that train. Nice time. They do a Polar Express run for the kids around Christmas.

There are some nice steam excursions around the country. I've ridden the Durango-Silverton run in Colorado and the Chalma NM train looks good too. I was there during an elk hunt.

Here are some live cameras at the Chalma site:

http://www.coloradonewmexicosteamtra...horizontal.htm
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 12:08 PM

There is a short section of track on the Cumbres/Toltec route that hangs off the side of a mountain. It's supported by steel rods and a "looks really thin looking out the window at it" band of steel plate. The train just creeps across this section and I heard a lot of oohs, aahs, and other exclamations from fellow passengers while getting across it. It's big drop down that mountain.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page