Another scam - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet
Default Another scam

This last weekend I had an item (without my knowledge) charged to my credit card and shipped to my address from a business in Iowa. 3 minutes after it was shipped it was redirected to the local Walgreens supposedly by me for pick up. I have a Fedex tracking ap on my computer or I would never have known any of this was taking place. I took a local LEO with me to retrieve the package in case there was something illegal in it. After inspecting I had Walgreens return to sender. When I returned home I had a call from the business -where the package originated- asking if I had placed a duplicate order. I informed him I hadn't ordered either one and was a victim of credit card fraud. He thought that might be the case which was why he was calling. Thank you Kreg industries for having my back. Who ever did this needed my name, address, cc#, phone#, and the 3 digit code on the back to place the order. I am assuming it has to be a local person who at a restaurant had possession of my card for a short time. If he's not local why ship to my small town, the phone book would have helped with the rest. If it weren't for the Fedex tracking ap I could have been on the hook for $800.

ďI won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.Ē

― John Wayne "The Shootist"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 08:55 PM

Most reputable mail order places now will only ship to the same address as what appears on your CC billing.

Master Piddler
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 02:12 PM

Northwood,

I have been crooked twice with credit cards. Once at a car rental agency (I knew that because they used an old address that was on my license) and once at a motel. The motel was a business trip (company CC) and the company asked why I had charged a Bar-B-Que and other stuff at Home Depot???? I admitted I had brought the B-B-Que and patio table home on the plane when I returned from my trip... Both of those were a cases of someone having the physical card for a transaction, rather than a cyber crime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 03:25 PM

A few times, only once had charges, have had my card cancelled by the bank automatically, due to skimmers being found at gas station chains I had used. Back when I had Bank of America, I had a charge in Savannah GA, which I had gone to, but I only used that card once at a restaurant. BOA refunded the charge and issued me a new card, I contacted the restaurant and notified them of the date and time I had been there so they could look into it. Never found out if they fired anyone, but I hope so. Now, I have an alert on my cards, USAA and Chase (Amazon), that alert me when any purchase is made. So if it wasn't me, I'll know immediately and can cancel the charge.

"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 04:00 PM

The IRS phone scammers are at it again.calling people wanting your bank account number so they can send you your stimulus check. Duhhh, the IRS doesent work like that.

Last edited by Argent11; 03-31-2020 at 04:05 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 04:59 PM

Hi. Your grandson is in jail and needs bail money. Your response should be. (Click followed by dial tone)... Next. We need x amount of dollars to release this turd errr grandson and we need you to go to the local Marcís and buy some (gift certificates)? Which we need you to tell us the numbers for... Hmmm.
How dumb are you really? This same scam could be IRS, Deputy Sheriffs, your dog in the doggy jail about to be electrocuted errr euthanized or served as the main course in hunan china...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule 11 View Post
Hi. Your grandson is in jail and needs bail money. Your response should be. (Click followed by dial tone)... Next. We need x amount of dollars to release this turd errr grandson and we need you to go to the local Marcís and buy some (gift certificates)? Which we need you to tell us the numbers for... Hmmm.
How dumb are you really? This same scam could be IRS, Deputy Sheriffs, your dog in the doggy jail about to be electrocuted errr euthanized or served as the main course in hunan china...
I got one of those once. It was from some gal who claimed to be my oldest grand daughter. Never gave me her name, just repeated she was my oldest grand daughter. At the time I didn't have any grand daughters, only grand sons. Matt's new baby Maya is now my oldest and only grand daughter.

Bill aka the Graybeard

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

JESUS is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 01:12 PM

Laws need to be changed. The death penalty is not used enough. For scammers the death penalty should be mandatory. I almost never use my credit cards, but my wife makes up for that. Her biggest problem is dropping it in the parking lot, or leaving it in her purse in a shopping cart. So far she's been lucky that there are still some honest people around.

Swingem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page