The younger generation! - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!
Default The younger generation!

When I went to visit my 35 year old son last weekend he was in his work out room lifting weights. I watched him bench press 315 lbs for 3 sets of 8 reps. Then he sprinted as hard as he could go the half mile up to the stop sign and back, rested a few minutes and ran to the stop sign and back again. He went in the house and took a shower then came back out and met the neighbor as he was delivering a load of firewood to the fire pit. My son handed him some money and the neighbor was on his way. My son then got on his big zero turn mower and started mowing.

Maybe this is just old school thinking but it seems to me that all of that exerted energy could have been better used by cutting his own firewood(he has a timber and a saw) but he buys it it because it's easier He could be mowing that yard with a push mower as opposed to running up and down the road with whilst he ain't chasing nothing and nothing ain't chasing him then sitting on a $10,000 riding mower cuz it's easier.

Sometimes these kids just don't make any sense to me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 08:44 AM

I’m a lil winded just reading your dissertation!! :

Hahaha
It’s like the old bull and the young bull on the hill overlooking a field full of cows...
Young one says to the old one “Let’s run down there and “Kiss” a cow! Old one says, naw. Let’s walk down and “kiss” them all. All from 6’ away of coarse. 😉

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 09:28 AM
Dee

While I used to be one of those weight lifters, reflecting back, it didn't make much sense now.

"REPUBLIC OF TEXAS"!
To The Politician: if your not right with God, your not right for this country.
Phil Robertson, Duck Dynasty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 09:54 AM

Kind of like a parent telling me that they live six blocks from the school and when cross country training started her son wanted her to drive him to and from training. She didn't.
GuzziJohn
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa&hisguns View Post
When I went to visit my 35 year old son last weekend he was in his work out room lifting weights. I watched him bench press 315 lbs for 3 sets of 8 reps. Then he sprinted as hard as he could go the half mile up to the stop sign and back, rested a few minutes and ran to the stop sign and back again. He went in the house and took a shower then came back out and met the neighbor as he was delivering a load of firewood to the fire pit. My son handed him some money and the neighbor was on his way. My son then got on his big zero turn mower and started mowing.

Maybe this is just old school thinking but it seems to me that all of that exerted energy could have been better used by cutting his own firewood(he has a timber and a saw) but he buys it it because it's easier He could be mowing that yard with a push mower as opposed to running up and down the road with whilst he ain't chasing nothing and nothing ain't chasing him then sitting on a $10,000 riding mower cuz it's easier.

Sometimes these kids just don't make any sense to me!
Agreed, GPA !

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.. (Gen George S. Patton)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 10:36 AM

Gun Cabinet

gpa,
I see your point.
But when I'm sitting here reading,
I'm lifting dumbbells every other day just to keep my strength up.

Ray
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuzziJohn1 View Post
Kind of like a parent telling me that they live six blocks from the school and when cross country training started her son wanted her to drive him to and from training. She didn't.
GuzziJohn

This is kind of like watching senior citizens park in the senior parking spot at the mall to go in and do laps around the mall.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 11:08 AM

tough to get cardio with a chainsaw cutting wood. Many of the problems with aging are from dissipation of muscle mass, it makes everything go better, faster, etc, when we have the strength.
I am just finishing up my lifting for the day.

Come quickly, Lord Jesus

Last edited by goodshot; 04-01-2020 at 12:41 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodshot View Post
tough to get cardio with a chainsaw cutting wood. Many of the problems with aging are from dissipation of muscle mass, mit makes everything go better, faster, etc, when we have the strength.
I am just finishing up my lifting for the day.

Regular or decaf ?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

The top rated Elite All-State running back in the state is from this town and worked with me all last summer. He lives in the weight room and lifts enormous amounts of weight. He also runs every day. Funny how he can't beat me arm wrestling and I walk circles around him while pheasant hunting and I'm 62. I can think of two old farmers here abouts that can both beat me arm wrestling and most likely bench press more and they wouldn't know which end of a weight to pick up.

Repetitious physical labor trumps a half hour in the weightroom every other day every time. Ask any UFC fighter....I know a couple of good ones and they don't touch weights. They beat tractor tires with a maul and whip big heavy ropes for stamina. The one in particular isn't worth a hoot at splitting wood though cuz he can't hit where he's looking(just thought that I'd throw that in). the bottom line is they simulate hard physical work for their strength and conditioning. There isn't an athlete out there that has better cardio than a MMA fighter.

Herschel Walker never lifted a weight all of the way through his college career however upon arrival at the University of Georgia he set the freshman school record with a bench press of 375lbs. He credited his agile moves and endurance to ulterior strength and conditioning without the use of free weights. At age 56 he still does 2,000 push ups and sit ups every day. Why? Cuz he doesn't have any wood to cut............

Now I suppose if you have a desk job or sit on your butt for most of the day then lifting weights for 1/2 hour a day or running around the block is a good thing. However I usually don't have any trouble falling asleep and staying asleep all night because I often go to bed exhausted and my muscles aching just like they did when I lifted weights.

The only fear that I get from the thought of retiring comes from wondering what am I going to do with myself. I'll probably follow in my old man's footsteps. He sold 100 loads of firewood the year before last and he cut, split and delivered every stick of it. He has slowed down this year but then he did just turn 90. He still shovels his own snow and mows his own grass. His motto, "Work hard for as long as you possibly can even if it hurts, also lay all of your burdens at God's feet and then let the chips fall where they may cuz no one gets out alive this side of the rapture."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page