Advice needed for retirement! - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!
Default Advice needed for retirement!

I respect the heck out of most of you wise old timers so am asking here. Was it hard for you to retire?

I averaged 58 hours per week for 30 years and since this current job is a 40 hr per week job I have taken on flipping houses on the side. I gave up bow hunting because I would sit in my tree stand and think about all of the stuff that I needed to do. I have to make an extra effort in church to keep my mind set on the message rather than wandering to the current house project. I have made myself this way.

IG recently made a post on a thread about a "soft word turning away anger" and basically controlling our tongues. That post was aimed at me and rightfully so. I have been very bitter lately. My wife has noticed, my kids have noticed and I have read through the last months worth of posts that I have made on this forum and they are reflective of my attitude...I apologize to anyone that I have offended. There ain't nice way to say it other than I have been a prick lately.

I have 85 days to finish this house project and will walk out the door on my working career at the schools at the same time. I know my dad has always said that I am not smart enough to be afraid of anything and for the most part I am not. I am not afraid of covid-19, the bully down the street, ghosts or bigfoot but I have to admit I am afraid of what lies ahead after I retire. Social Security tells me that I can make very little money or they will dock my SS check big time. My doctor tells me that since I have scar tissue where my diaphragm should be and because the tumor on my liver is showing signs of comeback that I have no choice but to retire.

So what advice can you gents give this contrary old fart about retiring and turning off the switch and enjoying life?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 08:32 AM

If not now, when?
TM77
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 08:37 AM

JMO

Find something you ENJOY doing, not necessarily for the $$ unless you need it to keep the knots tied on a monthly basis. A part time job might be it but YOU have to watch the amount of $$ you make to ensure you don't get docked from SSA. It appears you are one of those that prefers or has to be busy all the time, well continue on with that but you will need to find things to do. I prefer to stay busy around the house rather than just sitting in my chair with the TV on and improving my Google Fu skills. During this "stay at home" or self isolation period, I've done lots of small piddling things around the house (list is still long) but I do a couple things everyday just to have something to do.

All of those things that you think of that you'll do "one of these days", well you'll have the time now, just make a list of everything you think of, and when you feel like tackling that project, just do it. It will give you something to do, and a sense of accomplishment. When I have something to do, and then gain that sense of accomplishment when the task is done, you will feel better about life in general IMO.

Do the things that give you pleasure, what ever and how ever that may be. But be considerate to the wife and family, life is not just all about you but everyone in your life.

Retirement/old age is NOT for sissies, you've got to be smart and cunning to survive retirement.

Master Piddler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 08:55 AM

I had a great job but it took me about 10 minutes to adjust to retirement. Going on five years now and have no idea when I had time for a job, always busy with something. Like being a kid again but with more money and toys.
GuzziJohn
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 09:06 AM
Dee

Well, since I started drawing SS at age 66, they have never "docked" my check for all of my part time jobs.
They have "taxed" a portion when I made a certain amount over.
My part time jobs give me and Linda extra spending money, and fight off a little boredom.

"REPUBLIC OF TEXAS"!
To The Politician: if your not right with God, your not right for this country.
Phil Robertson, Duck Dynasty
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 09:15 AM

Like everything else retirement has a learning curve. Most men get their identity from their ability to provide, protect their family. And retirement leaves us feeling unneeded and unfulfilled.

A few men can replace the loss of working with hobbies and travel or other selfish endeavors. But you probably will not be able to do that.

If you feel useless after you retire and you have enough income to live comfortably in retirement without a side job. Id suggest volunteering at something you might do to make others lives better, and by so doing find a new reason to feel needed, and fulfilled.

Visit shut ins, nursing homes, hospitals, elderly folks in your church, Big brother, volunteer at the local Y, at a school reading program. Think about it And pray, and God will lead you to what he would have you do.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 09:18 AM

I think most of us felt some apprehension at the thought of "cutting the rope". Normal reaction, after all your job was a big part of your life, taking up 40+ hours a week. Now you'll have to redefine yourself, you'll no longer be __________(insert title here), you'll be a retiree.

Why worry about how much your SS may be cut if you continue to work at something else? If you'll be happier working at something new or different then continue as long as you can.

I was fortunate to be able to retire younger than average. I think I lasted about a month before I started to get stir crazy. I went out and got a low stress part time job, which morphed into full time after a few months, worked at that for about 6 years, and then pulled the plug altogether.

Since then I've had a few surgeries, my wife has had a few (one very major), so we kept busy alternating taking care of each other. So do whatever makes you and your wife happy for as long as you can do it - one day at a time!
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 09:26 AM

The most difficult part was making the decision to pull the trigger. My wife had been retired for several years to take care of her mother and was twisting my arm gently. I had a job I liked which had redeeming social merit, protected the environment and human health, and surrounded me with wonderful colleagues. But the state politicians were not treating our agency well, I was getting tired of the BS, petty red tape imposed by state legislators, and constant unwarranted attacks on our mission. And not a good candidate for promotion due to being older(past 65) than most of the folks taking retirement.

Once I decided to go the rest was pretty easy. Jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire with an onslaught of relative's no-longer-needed homes to deal with. Never thought I would be come an on-hands real estate manager. One more to go......

Last edited by M134 Troll; 04-06-2020 at 09:29 AM.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 09:32 AM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa&hisguns View Post
So what advice can you gents give this contrary old fart about retiring and turning off the switch and enjoying life?

Conserve what patience you have left for those that are genuine deserving.

Ray
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 10:30 AM

I got a chance to take early retirement at 58 and frankly I was looking forward to it. The first day of April marked the start of my twenty-fifth year of retirement and I'm still enjoying it. Unlike pastorp I don't find hobbies and travel selfish endeavors. I had little time for those in my working life and frankly speaking I think I have earned the right to do some of both. My thoughts are to try to to enjoy your retirement years doing what makes YOU feel good be it hobbies, travel, volunteering, working part time, a mix of those, or just taking life easy. NO one knows how many year theys have left so try to enjoy them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page