Speaking of Space Force - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!
Default Speaking of Space Force

After watching a parade of what was said to be #SpaceX#Starlink satellites cross the Iowa sky a few weeks ago I say the possibilities are endless as to modern day war time technology and weapons. Did Clinton really sweep the Star Wars SDI project under the rug or was it like everything else that he was clueless about? When Reagan initially started the program it was determined that technology was lacking by about 20 years to make it happen. That was 1987......23 years later and with Trump's "Space Force" who knows. One thing about it.....knowledge of our top secret military technology will not become an enlightenment to all of us average Joe's through a newspaper article or a website blog by some overzealous reporter.

Those 20 some satellites which appeared as a row of bright lights in the sky traversed from the western horizon to the eastern horizon in a matter of minutes. They were way out in outer space and traveling at a much wider ark than a jet airplane yet traversed clear across the night time sky 10x faster than a jet plane. Those Sputnik satellites travel at 7,000 miles per hour to be exact. Elon Musk plans to launch more than 1,500 of these satellites by 2022 and eventually have 12,000 of them floating around out there. Now make of it what you want but these satellites are all being launched via the Falcon 9 rocket and being launched from Nasa's Kennedy Space center in Florida. The technology that is floating around in space makes a conventional bomber seem like a Studebaker.

The word on the street via MSM is that these satellites are for providing high speed internet to the entire world. Some of them maybe???? I don't know anything for sure but speculation tells me that Trump and Space Force might be in the mix!

Just food for thought!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa&hisguns View Post
After watching a parade of what was said to be #SpaceX#Starlink satellites cross the Iowa sky a few weeks ago I say the possibilities are endless as to modern day war time technology and weapons. Did Clinton really sweep the Star Wars SDI project under the rug or was it like everything else that he was clueless about? When Reagan initially started the program it was determined that technology was lacking by about 20 years to make it happen. That was 1987......23 years later and with Trump's "Space Force" who knows. One thing about it.....knowledge of our top secret military technology will not become an enlightenment to all of us average Joe's through a newspaper article or a website blog by some overzealous reporter.

Those 20 some satellites which appeared as a row of bright lights in the sky traversed from the western horizon to the eastern horizon in a matter of minutes. They were way out in outer space and traveling at a much wider ark than a jet airplane yet traversed clear across the night time sky 10x faster than a jet plane. Those Sputnik satellites travel at 7,000 miles per hour to be exact. Elon Musk plans to launch more than 1,500 of these satellites by 2022 and eventually have 12,000 of them floating around out there. Now make of it what you want but these satellites are all being launched via the Falcon 9 rocket and being launched from Nasa's Kennedy Space center in Florida. The technology that is floating around in space makes a conventional bomber seem like a Studebaker.

The word on the street via MSM is that these satellites are for providing high speed internet to the entire world. Some of them maybe???? I don't know anything for sure but speculation tells me that Trump and Space Force might be in the mix!

Just food for thought!
Satellites are an intrinsic part of our military reddiness. So many things are dependent upon satellites now. Virtually all navigation, communication, remote weapons control etc, that we must protect our sattelites, and that will require "Space Force'. We will need hunter-killer sattelites etc.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.. (Gen George S. Patton)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 07:21 AM

Default Speaking of Space Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironglow View Post
The cheapo ones have little chance of catching a quality drone, but I guess they could wait in ambush ! ..But that gives us better understanding on a small scale, what the new Space Force is all about !

Speaking of the Space Force:

When will they open the Space Academy?

Will the students be called Space Cadets?

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dave View Post
Speaking of the Space Force:

When will they open the Space Academy?

Will the students be called Space Cadets?
Whatever they are called, no doubt they will be teased quite a bit by that label !

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.. (Gen George S. Patton)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 04:00 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

This seemed better as its own thread than wandering off topic in the Pot Bellied Stove "shooting down a drone" thread or Today's News "if the US has its B21" thread, so I clipped and moved them to this discussion. Gentlemen, I hope you do not disagree.

I think those cadets will be called "Starship Troopers", like the movie of that name, when "service guarantees Citizenship!" (whatever that means).

Having "served" in the business of access to space for the greater part of my engineering career, it was awe inspiring from my first trip to NASA's Pad 39A, where the Mobile Launcher (ML) sat on top of the pad above the Flame Trench (FT) and Main Flame Deflector (MFD) following the failed Challenger launch - a sad day for us all. I did not know then to wait for the Pad Transport bus at the badge check station as I walked up the incline to the top of the pad. It was a relatively short walk (~1000') up the 5 percent slope.

The closer I got to the pad surface, about 50 feet above grade, the greater was my anticipation that "Luke Skywalker", or other Star Wars "Trooper" would emerge from one of the ship's doors on the ML, the Rotating Service Structure (RSS), the Fixed Service Structure (FSS), or the Pad Deck. It was inspiring then and still would be today if the Shuttle Transportation System (STS) hadn't been mothballed and Pad A leased to SpaceX for their strong back modifications in the FT to right their horizontally transported vehicle to vertical.

It was often said, "NASA's Pad 39B is 'just like' Pad 39A", but those of us "in the know", knew better. The differences are much more subtle and widespread than first appearances. Pad 39B though, has been, and will remain, irreparably altered since the demolition of its RSS, FSS, and MFD for a "clean pad" leading to the current NASA program. A tower has been added to the ML, which the Crawler Transporters (CTs) have to carry, along with the rocket, from its hanger in the Vertical Assembly Building (VAB) to the Pad. Other extensive pad modifications in the FT, pad surface, and Side Flame Deflectors (SFD's) are less apparent, but equally important.

The remnant Lightning Towers remain on each of Pads 39 A and B. That was an interesting modification during their designs. Much "deep thought" went into those massive footprints to avoid conflicts with existing utilities and structures in place that were necessary for the continued success of each Pad. Worker and vehicle safety from a lightning strike was accomplished. It would have been a "bad day" to take a lightning strike on any Solid Rock Motor (SRM) strapped to the Shuttle and perched on an ML at a pad, potentially igniting and attempting to "lift off" unexpectedly and with certain disaster.

A "single wire" lightning arresting system was redesigned as a Faraday Cage at Pads 39A and B, similarly to those previously designed and constructed at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station (CCAFS) Pads 40 and 41. I thought long and hard about the footprints of the designs at pads 40 and 41 too, except those had existing towers, buildings, and commodity tanks, to remain, that included both a vertical and horizontal standoff in their design. Like sticking a long needle in a haystack without touching any of the hay while maintaining equal distance from every piece of hay as you progress into the stack.

I wonder if the engineers and their companies that transform Earth into rocket launching sites, plan and design rocket launching facilities, transporters, distribution of fueling (cryogenics), sound suppression, electrical, communications, fire suppression, tracking, etc., will be included in the "Space Force". Or will that only apply to the Government workers and its astronauts?

How will Private Corporations that desire and will eventually send personnel into space be "labeled"? Is Space Force for peace and exploration? Or war?

Last edited by land_owner; 05-20-2020 at 06:10 AM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 07:34 AM

Very cool LO. Thanks for sharing. I think the space program was at it's zenith during the 80's and 90's during the space shuttle era. Watched a few launches from different duty stations. Always fascinating to behold. The human element of the astronauts made it more incredible.

Today it's just rockets with some cool tricks.

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 11:13 AM

My grandson when just getting out of high school had a friend and fellow band member..who went Air Force at the same time my grandson went Marines.

While my grandson became a Marine Spec Ops (MARSOC) his friend became an Air force officer, and was ironically, assigned to area 51.

I saw this young man's mother about 2 months ago, when she came to our church. I got involved in a conversation with her. It was at that time when she was told by her son, that he was suddenly and unexpectedly reassigned to Washington.

Of course, she had no information on the nature of his duties, but was inclined to think it may have something to do with the new Space Force !

At least, with Pres trump at the helm.. our astronaughts will no longer be hitch hiking with the Russians.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/19/elon...d-quarter.html

Last edited by ironglow; 05-20-2020 at 11:18 AM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 11:47 AM

I'm not sure that it's still on track or not. This is the most current info on the mission.

https://www.space.com/spacex-crew-dr...-one-week.html
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 12:49 PM

Russia to a lessor degree, but especially China have been working on anti-satellite systems for decades.
The Republicans have been just a asinine in not doing this , to not upset other countries, as the Democrats.
Of course Clinton gave China the tech. to do so and Bush was no better.

RR
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 02:01 PM

Well now, China never had any captured WW2 German rocket scientist. We and Russia did, but we ended up with the best of the bunch. Saturn 5 heavy lift vehicle. Wernher Von Braun scribbled it out on a piece of paper, using only what he knew. Elon Musk " Space X " had his engineers study them very closely.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page