Graybeard Outdoors banner

Remington goes bust, bankrupt :(

8K views 41 replies 25 participants last post by  nw_hunter 
#1 ·
#2 · (Edited)
Wow, wow, wow. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Getting Remington firearms has been nearly impossible for over e year. Even when they have as hot an item as the V3 TAC-13, they quit making them and took all of last summer off. It's too bad the SH aholz attacked them, but they had some good products and failed to get them out into the market.

#42 ·
Things change! How about Sears & Roebuck? Or Studebaker,K-Mart and many others. You snooze,you lose.Remington took a nap, and woke up way behind.

#6 ·
Shaner that was long ago and far away.

I am the proud owner of 3 Rem 870 Wingmasters. A 16 ga plain barrel early build that was owned by my grandfathers brother in law.
We connected with fishing, I was 6, he was 6o and we would spend whole mornings together with only a few words said. But the words were not needed.
Anyway he handed down his favorite shotgun to me when I was old enough.

I had a 20 ga cut down to fit my small frame, vent rib. Boy compared to a .410 bolt action it was a wildlife killing machine.
Then I picked up a 12 ga special trap model when my cousin quit shooting trap. I wrapped it in camo tape used it as my waterfowl and trap gun.

They made the best, period.

Then they went downhill and I started looking at other company's. It felt like a betrayal. I'd of been perfectly happy being a Rem Fanboi for most of my life.

But when they cheapened the lube on their .22lr ammo I dropped them like a hot rock and never looked back.

#7 ·
I've owned a lot of Remingtons over the last 50 yrs. Enjoyed most of them. I still have the 1100 20ga. magnum my Grandma got me for graduation in '71. Sad to see such an iconic American company failing. Quality control and management have been sketchy for years.

#9 ·
Is the bankruptcy about current debt or potential debt from lawsuits?

And why would the Navajo Nation want to buy them? Only thing I can see is the potential for qualifying as a minority owned business for future government contracts.

#10 ·
I'm guessing past, present and potential lawsuits put them on their heels. Many manufacturing companies in this country that deal with the regulations placed on them have a small margin of profit anyway. Remington has been on the brink for several years. I bet someone picks them up from over seas and after some down time reopens. Kinda like happened with Winchester and FN, the S&W 1500s and Howa, The Browning/FN relationship comes to mind.

Remington had a lot of growing pains and mistakes when they took over Marlin.....mistakes and shoddy workmanship hurt them bad. The current production Marlins are great guns and I am wondering if Remington sees a brighter future putting there efforts there as they have a lot less competition in the lever gun world. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

#15 ·
I have a Remington Versa Max 12 gauge that has been 100% reliable, I've killed a pile of ducks with it and a turkey this spring. Hopefully whoever buys them will do a better job.

#17 ·
im a big Remington fan. thing is half the rummors of companys going bankrupt are just that. Most times its just a reorganization. Sure would hate to see 700s and 870s gone.

#18 ·
As for the lawsuits my bet would be Rem 700 bolt action rifle triggers, the recall, the problems.

They had a problem, they KNEW they had a problem. They could have fixed it, that leaves them wide open for negligence. Which if you can prove it is pretty much a slam dunk in a court case. They dug their own hole.

Under "good" management and quality control there are a lot of us who have turned away from them who would come back.
If the products were solid, and reasonably priced with good customer service.
If the products were new, innovative, and fit a market niche.

But they will have to prove themselves all over again.

If it was me, first product up would be a Rem Rolling Block in pistol caliber cartridges including .357, .44mag, .45 colt, possibly .45acp.
Keep the price reasonable. There are a lot of us Rolling block fans out there. It should be possible to build a new one with modern steel for less than 500$.

#22 ·
I gave my youngest son a Remington 870 that I used for over 20 years in training exercises, range demonstrations to police officers, drug raids, SWAT, and it never had any issues.
Same thing with a Remington 1100 I still have.
Don't even know how many Remington rifles I've had and never a problem.
For the millions of rifles, and shotguns on the market, imperfect Remington in my opinion, has been one of the best.

#25 ·
I doubt them moving all the machinery, and tooling to the reservation at an enormous cost, if they even had the building space.
Shipment of materials would most likely double as they are land locked, ect, ect.

#26 ·
Lt. Dave;And why would the Navajo Nation want to buy them? Only thing I can see is the potential for qualifying as a minority owned business for future government contracts.[/QUOTE said:
That is exactly what it is about...they announced they would do away with the so called black rifles and concentrate on regular hunting rifles and military firearms.

#28 ·
To me the ***** in the woodpile here is Freedom Group. Which bought up Marlin, H&R and Remington. Plundered them for all they could, and then left them to die a slow death in bankruptcy.

That should not be allowed or encouraged. But that is the way business is done on the larger scale.

#30 ·
Well I did NOT want to bring up colored people, anyone who originated in Africa.

So seeing as I am part Indian, I can insult them with impunity.

Problem is half of those northern liberals are southern born and bred. Maybe more than half.

But hey, far be it from me to insult someone on the base of race, color or creed. Now stupidity, Ill attack that wherever I find it and call a spade a spade.
Not that I think you and I really have anything to argue about.

#31 ·
or Texan liberal in the cow patties! Seems the stronghold for the black movement as always is mainly in the south and the Mexican problem is in texas. Sad thing is they were allowed to migrate north. Funny how when white America needs to stand together some still cant let go of the blind predudices based on state lines. You keep fighting the white northern people and watch the Mexicans finish taking your state!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.