336 throat and microgroove - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Default 336 throat and microgroove

I have a 336 from 1970 in .35. I have had a deuce of a time trying to load .357 bullets. I find the throat is so short you cannot make the COL long enough to feed and not jam the bullet into the rifling. I wish I had bought reghular 200 or 180 gr bullets right now. So far I have gotten the Marlin jam, had a bullet stick in the rifling that had to be pushed out with a ramrod leaving a case of powder in the action.

If I find a way to ream the throat will I have trouble with the fine rifling shearing when a regular bullet jumps into it? It also seems to have a really tight chamber and will barely chamber a reload without forcing the lever.

I figure I could use a Lee crimp and not need a cannelure in tdhe bullets (180 gr Hornady). But I am tired of spending money. I also find I cannot see the sights with old eyes, so that means a peep, or scope it which I don't want to do as that doesn't fit the beat proof truck/camping gun I envisioned.

I could give up and sell it or keep it as is. At least I inherited the dies. I used to think I really wanted a .35; maybe I should just stick with the 30-30 94.

thanks

just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not watching you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 06:21 PM

Check your resizing die setup. You should not have an issue chambering reloads if the cases are full length resized properly. Maybe the cases were not pushed far enough into the resizing die. Another possibility is that the crimp is bulging the case neck.

If you look carefully, under good light, at a difficult to chamber case, you may be able to see rub marks on the neck or base which might indicate what the problem is. Try coating a reload with black magic marker to look for rub marks.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 06:56 PM

if factory loads work your doing something wrong. just use factory ammo and save youself trouble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 07:22 PM

Cool

Guys, read the OP’s post, the bullets are sticking in the leade, the problem is not case sizing. The OP doesn’t tell us exactly what bullet he is using, Hornady no longer makes a 180-grain .357” bullet but used to make at least two. One was an XTP and the other was a spire point, both handgun bullets. Since Hornady used to list load data for both in the .35 Remington either should fit in a SAAMI chamber.

If the bullet is sticking in the rifling I suspect that he is not seating them deeply enough, but apparently they won’t feed if seated short. My recommendation is to buy the correct rifle bullets, lots cheaper than reaming the throat. No reason to blame the rifle for a loading issue.

Was TX Nimrod. Before that I was AK Nimrod. Kept moving. Lots ‘o posts in the past 25 years.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. It is the bullet sticking in the rifling. They were seated to the cannelure which makes them shorter than SAMI. The correct bullets have a reduced diameter right after cannelure so it does not stick. The bullets I bought on the cheap are the XTP.
I always wanted a .35 Rem 336, but there is no reason here (Colorado) to "need" one. I probably will just keep it and wait for enough money to buy bullets (the Hornady 200s are $38, the XTPs were 18)), a peep setup, and a factory crimp die. Every time I sell a gun I miss it. They don't take much room or lose value.

just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not watching you
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 05:01 PM

In 2000 I had the same problem with a new 336D in 35 Rem. My rifle would not chamber Remington or Federal factory loads. It turned out that the chamber was short and the brass was hitting short in the chamber. I tried handloads but had to trim the brass to 1.88" ( .030 shorter than Min.) to get the loads to chamber. I sent the rifle back to Marlin and had it re-chambered and polished, problem solved.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page