336 cs - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Default 336 cs

I am considering a 1980's version in 30/30. I was wondering if there is anything "Different" about the CS model or anything unusual. I assume they would all be in the same price range?? Thanks in advance, Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 03:21 PM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

The older models had only the hammer as a safety. The CS model has a cross bolt safety that blocks the firing pin. Some folk get real hung up about not having that cross bolt safety but I have Marlins that are both ways and I don't see it as being a problem.....I just leave it off safe and ignore it. The hammer is suffice for me!

The quality of the 1980s version that you are looking at is as good as any of the JM stamped guns!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa&hisguns View Post
The older models had only the hammer as a safety. The CS model has a cross bolt safety that blocks the firing pin. Some folk get real hung up about not having that cross bolt safety but I have Marlins that are both ways and I don't see it as being a problem.....I just leave it off safe and ignore it. The hammer is suffice for me!

The quality of the 1980s version that you are looking at is as good as any of the JM stamped guns!
What he said, I have a number of marlin levers some with the cross bold safety some without but they both have the half c--k feature which has worked fine for years. I think for the most part the letter designations are more about finish ie. walnut versus cheaper woods, bluing vs mat finish thing like that.

mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 05:17 PM

Gun Cabinet

When I sold my Marlin collection like has been said they wonted the CS safety but I really see no real difference in the guns I prefer the half **** for the safety easier to use I just picked up a 30/30 C S and it is ok. for me no big deal either way.

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 05:42 PM

You can remove the stock and lock the safety button in the fire position with nothing more than an little allen wrench. Not a big deal. They are fugly and do not belong on a lever gun, but easy to deactivate if you choose to do that.

SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED *****Not available in all areas.***** Void where prohibited by law. *****Many many many restrictions apply.*****
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckduster01 View Post
You can remove the stock and lock the safety button in the fire position with nothing more than an little allen wrench. Not a big deal. They are fugly and do not belong on a lever gun, but easy to deactivate if you choose to do that.
I never knew that, thanks chuckduster. That red cross bolt does look ugly and I always just used the half hammer feature anyway.

mike
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:55 PM

I just had a 65 yr old thought. As a kid still smarting who had just shot his bb gun with the lever hanging down and had it slam up on his fingers I always thought how much a real gun must hurt if you did that. I didn't know how they worked then.

mike
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike$ View Post
I never knew that, thanks chuckduster. That red cross bolt does look ugly and I always just used the half hammer feature anyway.

mike
I lock the little setscrew (normally has yellow paint/thread locker on it). I have seen where others put the right sized little O-RING on the safety button around the spot that has the red OMG IT"S READY TO FIRE paint also.....you have options.

SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED *****Not available in all areas.***** Void where prohibited by law. *****Many many many restrictions apply.*****

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page