Very short 357 Mag insert for 20 gauge - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSP Ret View Post
Do you think it might work with .38 Specials and not have the empties hang up on extraction?

That's what I would think also.

Too soon old . . . Too late smart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
WLB

I gave the insert to a friend to test for me along with 3 standard length 38 Specials and 3 shortened 38 specials, Each was loaded with 180 gr Hornady bullets, 10 gr of 2400, with bullets seated out to 357 maximum length so the bullet would not have to jump to the rifling. All 6 cases could be easily removed with a fingernail. Accuracy was not so good. He described it as a "shotgunish." I'll try some other loads when I have time.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 08:33 PM

Sounds good buddy, keep us posted. Did you polish out the score mark before your friend shot the .38's and shortened .38's? If so and the full length .38's extracted OK with a fingernail how about trying a couple of .357's to see if the polishing helps with the .357's as well. Keep me in mind on my question/offer.
Thanks and have a Happy Easter....<><....

"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
WLB

Happy Easter to you too and to all on GBO. I did not try any full length 357's after polishing. PM sent.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 07:58 AM

Got the PM, yes and thanks! Happy Easter to you and yours as well....<><....

"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 01:52 AM

Location: Smack Dab in the middle of God's Country! Saskatchewan, Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLB View Post
I gave the insert to a friend to test for me along with 3 standard length 38 Specials and 3 shortened 38 specials, Each was loaded with 180 gr Hornady bullets, 10 gr of 2400, with bullets seated out to 357 maximum length so the bullet would not have to jump to the rifling. All 6 cases could be easily removed with a fingernail. Accuracy was not so good. He described it as a "shotgunish." I'll try some other loads when I have time.
pulling up an old one here, but just to relay my thoughts

using heavy loads in an insert that is only held steady with rubber is asking for the insert to shift on firing.

try it with some very light loads, loaded way out there and see if that makes a difference.

if you can make another, I would think about trying this: make a chamber/bore cast to get measurements, then machine your insert to JUST fit without any Orings, and with as little play as possible. THEN cut the Oring grooves so the Orings are SNUG in the chamber when inserted, maybe tight enough you need a stick in the muzzle to knock it out... then try again, working up from light to heavy loads.

I just can't see rubber being enough to hold it steady for accuracy.... you don't see a regular gun held together against rubber....

I am ONLY responsible for what I say
I am NOT responsible for what you THINK I said
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
WLB

I probably won't be making another one until winter. The problem with making the insert tightly fit a given barrel is that it may not fit another barrel of the same gauge. There seems to be a rather large tolerance in H&R shotgun bore diameters. Also the 12 gauge models with smooth bore and iron sights require a smaller diameter due to distortion of the bore where the sight is welded on.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 01:37 PM

My bad, Thanks to the generosity of our fine member WLB I know have possession of that original insert. After some fiddling with various size O-rings it now resides as a nice snug fit in the chamber of a scope sighted H&R shotgun and begs to be shot. I just finished my summer marathon of 2 jobs, some day and some night. I finished up early in the AM of Labor day 9/4 (3 days ago). I went directly to my day job and when I get off at 1630 hours today I will go to the wake of a friends son-in-law, a 40 year old Firefighter who unexpectedly passed away at home a few days ago, a sad thing, leaves a wife and two lovely daughters.
THEN I will have THREE days off, and in a row as well!!!.
I look forward to testng the insert and reporting back when I do.
Signing off for now...a very thankful and grateful...MSPRet....<><....

Thanks WLB!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page