Drilling and tapping for scope base - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Default Drilling and tapping for scope base

Not sure how this is going to go over but here goes. With the new TSS 410 loads it's a more viable turkey gun and I would like to build one for my grandson. I've seen a short clip online of a kid in a blind shooting one with the ATI adjustable stock and a red dot. That's the route I want to take. The ATI stock will have a short enough LOP to shoot comfortably. The red dot will help eliminate sighting errors.
Anybody ever drilled a shotgun barrel for a scope base? I assume you would use an NEF base. Any concerns or gotchas?

Get right with the Man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 08:10 PM

I have a couple of D&T .410 handi's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020205.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	230216  

Name:	P1010662.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	230218  

Real trucks dont have spark plugs.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

This first one is what I am looking at. No issues with drilling and tapping? Did you use a NEF base?

Get right with the Man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:57 AM

Yes, all of the bases I use are standard H&R NEF scope bases. I start with painters tape, run a length down the center top of the barrel. Place the rail on the barrel and center it. Mark the holes on the tape. Using a spring loaded center punch, mark the center of the holes. Drill the holes, I have a stop gauge on the bit so you can't drill to deep. When done drilling the holes remove the tape. Blow the holes out with compressed air. Tap the holes. Blow the holes out with compressed air. Install the scope rail for fit. If its all good, reinstall using locktite on the screws.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Yikes have you seen the cost of a pic rail for an H&R? The only ones I am seeing are over $30.
Vash, what base is that on your first picture with the red dot? Looks like the one that is on this one. Where can I get one like this? https://www.ebay.com/itm/H-R-New-Eng...ty!27522!US!-1

Get right with the Man.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

Looks like a factory scope base to me which is no longer made, lots of em out there tho. Here's a pic with a Leupold Rifleman base for comparison.

Tim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Scope rails Leupold and H&R.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	230434  

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeskinner View Post
Yikes have you seen the cost of a pic rail for an H&R? The only ones I am seeing are over $30.
Vash, what base is that on your first picture with the red dot? Looks like the one that is on this one. Where can I get one like this? https://www.ebay.com/itm/H-R-New-Eng...ty!27522!US!-1
This is what I have been getting. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leupold-Rif...AAAOSwumxclQBb I have gotten some factory bases from the eBay as well, when I see them.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:33 PM

I drilled and tapped a 410 to put a red dot on it just like you are wanting to do - my wife likes shooting with the red dot. If you have a drill press and drill press vise it is pretty easy. Best way to find the top center of the barrel is to clamp the lug in the vise and put a small dremel grinding point in the chuck - mark a line across the barrel where one of the holes will land and turn on the drill press. Slide the vise back and forth (cross wise along the line) under the grinding point lowering the chuck until the grinding point just grazes the top of the barrel. That is the highest (center) point of the barrel. Center punch that spot and drill - once you have one screw drilled and tapped where it can hold the base, you can mark the rest of the holes with the base screwed in place.

Dan - Handi's - 157 22 Hornet Mannlicher Stock, 157 30-30 Mannlicher stock, 45LC Buffalo Classic Carbine with 22K-Hornet and .357 Max Talo barrels, 45-70 Buffalo Classic, 204 Ruger Ultra with Fluted Barrel, 223, 12 Gauge Topper Deluxe Classic, 20 gauge TDC, 20 Gauge Topper Junior Classic, Pardner .410 Youth, 17HMR Sportster, .357 Mag Handi...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 02:56 PM

I had my 10 ga drilled and tapped and sent the gunsmith a weaver base I had laying around at the time to use. When I got it back I was thinking it sat too tall and I should have used a thinner base. However, I now have a crosshair scope on it and if I had not used a tall base I would not have hammer clearance.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

The hammer spur can be shortened to eliminate scope interference, but the best option is to use a scope that is friendly to the H&R that has a small power ring and/or ocular bell similar to Leupold variables, as opposed to all those that have big butt....er...eh.. rear parts that aren't friendly.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page