Graybeard Outdoors

Graybeard Outdoors (https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php)
-   H&R Shotguns (https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/111-h-r-shotguns.html)
-   -   Picked up a couple forearms (https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/111-h-r-shotguns/408290-picked-up-couple-forearms.html)

kf4ocv 01-06-2020 06:53 PM

Picked up a couple forearms

I went to a local gun show over the weekend and picked up a couple forearms. One was used marked for a 48, should work fine on my 158. It is the wrong shape; squared off on the end as opposed to tapered, but it is walnut and has a nice finish. At $25 I could not walk away from it.

The other one is ruff cut and will need a lot of sanding. I worked on that one today, and it seems to be coming along. It was marked IJ I am assuming Iver Johnson. It will require some fitting but should work. At least i won't get bored over the winter.

I also met a gentleman who loves these old guns as much as I do and we had a nice chat.

spruce 01-06-2020 08:16 PM

Finding stuff like that is the main reason I go to gun shows. You just never know what you're going to find on the table of some guy who decided to clean out his gun room and get rid of stuff he doesn't need anymore.

Lt. Dave 01-06-2020 08:17 PM

Cool. Post a picture or two.

kf4ocv 01-06-2020 08:31 PM

Spruce, that is why I go too. I can find new guns anywhere but gun parts particularly old ones are hard to find. I once found a guy who had owned his own shop and was cleaning out. He had H&R barrels for $15! I got a couple, wish I had got all of them. The next time I talked to him he said he didn't bring any. He said he wasn't able to dig around to find them. I asked to come to his place he smarted off "I'm an @$$ hole and the answer is No!" I don't use that type language although at that point I wasn't disagreeing with him either. LOL! I shook my head and walked away thinking what an idiot!

kf4ocv 01-06-2020 08:50 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Lt. Dave here are the pix. The first two are the used one the last two are the rough cut one that I am sanding down. There are for the snap on forearm. Hard to find these days.

Lt. Dave 01-06-2020 09:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice walnut. Definitely an older snap on. I like to see the quality of the wood they once used. I have just one shotgun with the snap on forend. It too is walnut. It's a long barreled (28") full choke 20 ga with a straight wristed walnut stock. It's lighter than the more current models by quite a bit. It's finish is a little yellowed compared to yours. Maybe yours has been refinished? I'll add a picture later.

kf4ocv 01-06-2020 09:31 PM

I have searched for pix of my collection but could not find them. I have .410/30-30 combo, 20g, 16g, 12g all AF (1969) Serial numbers.

Winter Hawk 01-10-2020 08:50 PM

Lt. Dave,

Isn't that the screw on Schnabel forearm? Sure looks like it to me....

~WH~

Lt. Dave 01-10-2020 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winter Hawk (Post 2055997502)
Lt. Dave,

Isn't that the screw on Schnabel forearm? Sure looks like it to me....

~WH~

It's actually a snap on made of walnut. I'll post a picture of the underside tomorrow.

Lt. Dave 01-11-2020 04:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a few pictures of the Squire snap on forend. The brass spacer is not original equipment::tango_face_wink: