H&R Gamester 16GA Safety is not working - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-29-2020, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation H&R Gamester 16GA Safety is not working

I have an H&R gamester 16GA I just picked up for $100, I may or may not have gotten a good deal, but the gun is in overall great shape, minus one major problem with the safety mechanism.

I was cleaning an tested the safety on the trigger pull, and turns out if I pull just hard enough the pin fires.

I gutted it apart and cleaned and seen if I could maybe realign /tighted etc... or see what may be the cause, and I can't see much but safety sliding bracket (the L shaped one that slides back and forth) that I presume stops the trigger from pressing up on unknown to me mechanisms... I see part of this L bracket looks either ground down, or maybe simply worn, which I presume doesn't stop the trigger, and has a slight gap just big enough to set off when the trigger is pulled. Even with the safety firmly in "Safe" side. The trigger seems to virtually not move very much, and a slightly firm squeeze will engage the firing of the pin. (Trigger moves like 1/32 of an inch it seems.)

Not sure what this would take to make it safer, If there is a simple fix or not, or maybe I need to find these parts (hopefully in good condition) and replace them.

Is anyone out there familiar with this issue? I understand there was a recall at one point? Related to this?

Any help and guidance would be awesome, prior to any accidents with the lack of "Safety" mechanism happening when I take this thing out to shoot.

Pardon my lack of terminology, as I'm not a gun smith, and just learning about these.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 11:23 PM

I believe that the H&R 16 is the same as the Sears, J.C. Higgins Model 108. The recall was concerning 12 ga bolt action shotguns. The screw in the bolt that keeps it inside the frame, can come out, or not be re-installed after cleaning. If fired, there is nothing to prevent the bolt from moving to the rear in an expeditious manner causing serious injuries. Please be sure that the screw is installed.

Mine (#108.8) had a problem with the safety as well. With the safety engaged, the gun could still be fired. I took it all apart and cleaned everything. The safety, if I remember correctly, has room to be adjusted for or to engage deeper in its positioning. I did have to straighten the safety as it was bent. The 2 screws that hold the safety are position sensitive. You may have them in the wrong order. Please see Numrich Gun Parts for a more in depth write up on the safety of your Gamester.... Bobby

Draw a fine bead on em Son!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page