New old stock Handi Rifles... - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Default New old stock Handi Rifles...

I still see new Handi Rifles on store racks.
What are you guys finding?
Saw a 22 Mag black synthetic blued today for $179. If it was a 17HMR I might have bought it as I have a brick of 500 Hornady 17HMR ammo left over from CZ 452 17HMR days (all sold).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 09:29 AM

For $179 I probably would have bought the 22 Mag. I reamed the chamber of mine to 5.7x28 and it's loads of fun.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhecht25 View Post
For $179 I probably would have bought the 22 Mag. I reamed the chamber of mine to 5.7x28 and it's loads of fun.
Hey Nathan,

You should start a thread about that conversion. Sounds like a good idea. Did you do the work yourself?

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dave View Post
Hey Nathan,

You should start a thread about that conversion. Sounds like a good idea. Did you do the work yourself?
Yes, I did the work myself and it really wasn't that hard. I rented the reamer from 4D rentals and did it by hand. When I cut the chamber I made the mistake of cutting with the ejector in place and then it wouldn't grab the case. Fortunately Numrich still had Sportster ejectors in stock and I ordered one and shaped it by hand. Then I just followed the rim to rimless conversion in the Handi FAQs. Works like a charm.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 05:19 AM Thread Starter

I'm picking up a new Ruger American in 22 Mag this week so that's covered. What has had me thinking is finding a 17HMR Handi, either to have for the 500 round brick of ammo I bought a couple years ago, and/OR to convert to s 17WSM. There's a good bit of 17WSM ammo sitting on LGS shelves.
By the way, reaming a chamber with an extractor in place seams like it would break a reamer flute what with the extractor having some looseness...(??).
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 06:22 AM

Location: Smack Dab in the middle of God's Country! Saskatchewan, Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhecht25 View Post
Yes, I did the work myself and it really wasn't that hard. I rented the reamer from 4D rentals and did it by hand. When I cut the chamber I made the mistake of cutting with the ejector in place and then it wouldn't grab the case. Fortunately Numrich still had Sportster ejectors in stock and I ordered one and shaped it by hand. Then I just followed the rim to rimless conversion in the Handi FAQs. Works like a charm.
How did you convert it from RF to CF?

I am ONLY responsible for what I say
I am NOT responsible for what you THINK I said
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 07:41 AM

U
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanuk-o-dah-nort View Post
How did you convert it from RF to CF?
I believe he put the barrel on an sb2 frame.

The bores on the rimfire sportster barrels must be centered so switching frames allows the conversion from rimfire to centerfire if reamed to a centerfire cartridge.

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaninga View Post
I still see new Handi Rifles on store racks.
What are you guys finding?
Saw a 22 Mag black synthetic blued today for $179. If it was a 17HMR I might have bought it as I have a brick of 500 Hornady 17HMR ammo left over from CZ 452 17HMR days (all sold).

To be honest, you couldn't prove by me that they aren't made anymore. Hence the other thread about 50' accuracy and me trying to find "group" guns in my area. A shop within walking distance from my office has 2 new synthetic Sportsters and one used on the rack. Prices are right at SRP, but I've dealt with him before and he'd work with me on all three. Still debating between these and a Base model Savage bolt. I'd prefer the single shot action.

Just my Awf Hand comments...
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awf Hand View Post
To be honest, you couldn't prove by me that they aren't made anymore. Hence the other thread about 50' accuracy and me trying to find "group" guns in my area. A shop within walking distance from my office has 2 new synthetic Sportsters and one used on the rack.
Sportsters were discontinued in 2014, they were not in the 2014 catalog(the last H&R catalog issued), they were still in the 2013 catalog. ALL H&R production ended by April 2015, all equipment and machines in the Ilion NY H&R plant was sold or scrapped. The only new H&R products that may still be available are the imported shotgun, Remington may still be importing them.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dave View Post
U

I believe he put the barrel on an sb2 frame.

The bores on the rimfire sportster barrels must be centered so switching frames allows the conversion from rimfire to centerfire if reamed to a centerfire cartridge.
Dave is correct. I had an SB2 frame that the Sportster barrel locked perfectly up to so didn't even have to do any fitting. I polished the chamber to get better extraction after firing but the spent cartridge doesn't come completely out after opening the action. I'm pretty sure I could polish it a little more and get complete ejection but I actually like it better the way it is now so I don't have to chase the brass.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page