You have my attention! NEF? H&R? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Default You have my attention! NEF? H&R?

You guys have my interest on high. I already own a PardnerII in full rifled 12 GA, that I really like, but I find myself becoming obsessed with the idea of getting a 17HMR NEF or H&R 1871 Handi rifle.

Which is the most inherently accurate model? I like my groundhog guns sub MOA, can the Handi Rifles do that? Also, do I need to be looking at brand new, or older used rifles for the kind of accuracy I want, my understanding is the company has changed hands at least once.

This is new ground for me and I appreciate any input I can get.

Thanks

Last edited by The Old Man; 06-01-2019 at 10:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

H&R hasn't made any firearms since 2015 when they closed the Ilion NY plant, the only new H&Rs since are the imported repeater shotguns. Most consider the Gardner(1987-early 2008) made guns better in general than the Ilion made guns, the only "new" rifles you'll find are new, old stock. H&R/NEF rimfire rifles with the exception of the Versa Pack are Sportsters, not Handi-rifles which are centerfire, all Sportsters made prior to 2007 are NEF branded, the NEF brand was discontinued in 2007, see the H&R timeline in the FAQs sticky, there's also a build code list to determine when a firearm was made.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Thats a whole bunch of very useful information. Guess its off to the sticky first, and then keep my eyes open at the gun shows. Thank you much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 04:55 PM

I don't know about the guns you mention but the NEF 20 GA. pump I purchased 3 years ago was made in China . I didn't even think to check were it was made with the name New England Firearms , I assumed that's were it was manufactured . It seems well built ,but I feel like I got flim flamd.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbammer View Post
I don't know about the guns you mention but the NEF 20 GA. pump I purchased 3 years ago was made in China . I didn't even think to check were it was made with the name New England Firearms , I assumed that's were it was manufactured . It seems well built ,but I feel like I got flim flamd.
The Pardner Pump/Protector 870 clone has always been imported from China, still is.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdtoo View Post
The Pardner Pump/Protector 870 clone has always been imported from China, still is.

Tim
There are just certain things I don't want from Chiny , and firearms are one of them . Admittedly It was my fault for not reading the fine print .
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbammer View Post

There are just certain things I don't want from Chiny , and firearms are one of them . Admittedly It was my fault for not reading the fine print .

While you can knock a lot of Chinese made goods, The Pardner Pump/Protector 870 clone, is a pretty good deal for the price. Some of the parts are even interchangeable with the Remington 870.

"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

A statement of fact: H&R Huntsman & Sidekick blued barrels are made of 4140 steel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page