Graybeard Outdoors banner

H&R 157 Help Please

6K views 42 replies 8 participants last post by  SEK_22Hornet 
#1 ·
Gentleman I write from the land down under, I recently picked up a 157 in 22 magnum in great condition. Unfortunately I am afflicted with 5mm Remington Rimfire Magnum syndrome which there seems to be no cure.

I would love to turn this rifle into a switch barrel, from s/n I believe it was made in 1976

So to make a 5mm rem how best to go about, I really don't want loose the 22 mag barrel by stubbing or sleeving is it possible to buy a 20 cal barrel chamber and have the bottom rib fitted.

I'm a H&R virgin so please be gentle lol I would greatly appreciate any advice

John

#29 ·
Progress fellas, my my mate sent me the 12 gauge barrel and it darn near closed tight when I fitted it to the action, the big 12 gauge extractor seem to be the problem. Nearly 71 years old I don't get excited much anymore but i'm like old Jedd Clampett dancing around the living room.

So first up I need a rimfire extractor any tips ? If someone has one I can trade you the forend wood with the fittings. I best learn how to pull the extractor system down also

Now to find a 20 cal barrel looking at green mountain if I can't find a take off over here

John

#30 ·
John - I just posted photos of my 32 H&R ejector. Do you know any machinists over there? I would be willing to provide drawings of my work if it would help you any.

Dan

Attachments

#31 ·
Dan I live in a very isolated area several hours from any major towns, I have been following your progress with great interest sure wish I had your skills but if I can't do it with a chain saw then it does'nt get done:tango_face_wink:
I have the 22 magnum barrel of course I guess I could remove the ejector and just get it copied but the rim on the 5mm is a little thicker and wider

Appreciate your kind offer

John

#33 ·
Glad you had a good day mate mine was the exact opposite. I mounted a new scope and had some time this morning to sight it in, no luck would not fire any ammo at all.

When I first got the rifle I shot S&B ok but Remington was hit and miss now it wont fire any ammo at all.

I broke the action held the trigger back and pushed the hammer forward making the firing pin protrude seems to out plenty far enough,

tried pulling the trigger hard and all the way back still nothing, any tips?

John

#34 ·
New scope? The hammer isn't hitting the scope is it?

#37 ·
The early M157 had a rebounding hammer which used a double coil hammer spring, later models with transfer bar had a single coil spring, Wolff makes the extra power springs(FAQs). With a weak hammer spring adding a hammer spur extension can cause light pin strikes.

Tim

#41 ·
Tim, thanks so much for the advice in Perklo's instructions I guess my 1976 model rifle will be the same except for the hammer spring.

Now just have to work out whether to get stuck into it or go trout fishing had a nice flush of rain that will get them feeding. Think i'm leaning toward the river

John

#42 ·
I have an up date on the misfires etc. Not sure if I mentioned suddenly the hammer would not c o c k either after the repeated misfires, clearly something was broken inside.

Contacted the dealer where I purchased the rifle and they offered to send it to their gunsmith for repair at no cost, very good of them I thought.

This morning I got the rifle out the safe broke it open to make sure it was unloaded, just a habit, closed the action and just for no reason cocked the hammer and it stayed cocked. I eased it back and placed a fired case in the chamber re cocked and pulled the trigger all worked as it should. Now i'm very confused so I grab some rem ammo go outside load up and BANG. 6 times without a problem nice indent on the fired cases.

So what happened?

John

#43 ·
My only guess would be that a small particle of foreign matter got into the action preventing the trigger from properly engaging the sear on the hammer. Glad it is working - hope it stays that way!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.