H&R 157 Help Please - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Default H&R 157 Help Please

Gentleman I write from the land down under, I recently picked up a 157 in 22 magnum in great condition. Unfortunately I am afflicted with 5mm Remington Rimfire Magnum syndrome which there seems to be no cure.

I would love to turn this rifle into a switch barrel, from s/n I believe it was made in 1976

So to make a 5mm rem how best to go about, I really don't want loose the 22 mag barrel by stubbing or sleeving is it possible to buy a 20 cal barrel chamber and have the bottom rib fitted.

I'm a H&R virgin so please be gentle lol I would greatly appreciate any advice

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 08:55 AM

HELLO!

Crazy we are speaking from Other sides of the world!!

Welcome to the addiction! We used ta say that there was no cure... Then H&R/NEF CLOSED... Kinda a cold turkey cure for most of us...

Best way I can think of a stub job. Find a 12/20 ga and go to it. As 20/5mm is smaller and one was never factory made I have herd of. Its all that comes to mind for me. It will require a new barrel.

Please post up the process!

Good luck!

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 10:37 AM

You asked if it is possible to have a barrel made - the answer sure it's possible - maybe even more so that the centerfire calibers. The older H&R models like yours have the barrel lug silver soldered in place - Not sure how possible it would be salvage a lug from a shotgun barrel and re-solder it to a barrel turned to the proper diameter, but I would thing that it might be possible. Just a thought - never heard of anyone doing it.

Dan - Handi's - 157 22 Hornet Mannlicher Stock, 157 30-30 Mannlicher stock, 45LC Buffalo Classic Carbine with 22K-Hornet and .357 Max Talo barrels, 45-70 Buffalo Classic, 204 Ruger Ultra with Fluted Barrel, 223, 12 Gauge Topper Deluxe Classic, 20 gauge TDC, 20 Gauge Topper Junior Classic, Pardner .410 Youth, 17HMR Sportster, .357 Mag Handi...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 12:41 PM

There are a number of ways to go about this. A stub from a shotgun barrel is probably the simplest solution. I believe that the barrel (or the stub) would need to be turned off center to get the firing pin strike in the right location. A lug could also be fabricated and welded or silver soldered to a barrel or tube to make a stub. I've done that with good results. Probably only an option if you have a milling machine or a machinist friend, the cost would be prohibitive if you had to pay full price for the work. All the stub projects I've worked on were for center fire cartridges. The hardest part of the job in my view is getting the firing pin strike in the right location. Since I have factory rifles that strike a bit off center, I'm guessing that it wasn't the easiest thing for the factory to get right either.

"And the government promised me a posse, which I figure will be long on promise and short on posse." - Rooster Cogburn
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

I thought my rifle being a rimfire that would have made things easier with the firing pin being located in the correct positioned Do you think a stub would still need to be reamed off centre ?

If anyone has a stub that would fit my model range rifle I would be happy to purchase it, once I get the rifle home I will measure that area.

A great thing about the internet and forums like these it allows the easy communication, not only am I down under but at the moment sitting down in my 100 year old farm house 1 hour from the nearest town that has a population of 9 dogs, 3 cats 7000 kangaroos and lots of tiger snakes lol

John
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

If the frame on the M157 22mag has an offset firing pin like the modern SS1 rimfire frame, then there's no need for the stub to have an offset bore, H&R Inc only made the 22mag M157 1976-77 and the book doesn't mention any combo offerings with Hornet or 30-30 barrels, so I suspect the frame was rimfire only, but never have seen one. Is the firing pin in the center of the standing breech or off center to the bore?

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Tim, I will post some photos when I get the rifle home i'm a very long way from the dealership where I found it. I am 70 years old and have never seen another on down here, speaking with the dealer he was also intrigued as to how such an odd rifle turned up here. Keep in mind wholesalers really only go for what is going to move off the shelf quickly.

Its one of those things I may have over paid on, we have all been there I guess, it cost me about $350.00 USD but it was in such good condition and I love the 22 magnum round I jumped in

John
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 09:38 PM

We have all done that once in a while. I think you found a rare one there. I was thinking that one of the members here posted that they had the 22 Mag 157 a while back and was pretty sure it has the centered bore like the SS1. The stub would probably be the simplest way to go for sure. Either way a donor barrel is required. Enjoy your find!

Dan - Handi's - 157 22 Hornet Mannlicher Stock, 157 30-30 Mannlicher stock, 45LC Buffalo Classic Carbine with 22K-Hornet and .357 Max Talo barrels, 45-70 Buffalo Classic, 204 Ruger Ultra with Fluted Barrel, 223, 12 Gauge Topper Deluxe Classic, 20 gauge TDC, 20 Gauge Topper Junior Classic, Pardner .410 Youth, 17HMR Sportster, .357 Mag Handi...
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 09:31 AM

An H&R, Inc. Model 157 22 WMR rifle made in 1976 had an offset firing pin.

Sprint
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate all the help fellas, I hope to have the rifle in hand in a week or so and will post photos

John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page