Questions - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Question Questions

I bought an old H and R Huntsman a while back at the local Cabela's. I had never even fired a muzzle loader prior to it and it sounded like it would be a blast, pun intended, so I bought it. Paid somewhere around $115 out the door. Anyway, after poking around on this board and registering a while back, I decided to speak up. I have a few questions.
1. What is the maximum powder charge?
I tried firing it with 50 grains of goex ffg. It seemed to work fine, and recoil was not excessive.

2. Can I put an extra barrel on it?
I have read that the receiver is dimensionally the same as a topper or handi-rifle. The words sb1 and sb2 floated around a lot. I think that I would be hesitant to put a rifle barrel on it, but maybe a pistol caliber or shotgun barrel.

3. If I put an extra barrel on it, are there any legal restrictions other that barrel length?
I have heard the stories about that issue, so lets not go there.

4. If I buy a loose barrel, could I fit it myself?
I am an engineering/machining student, so I have a basic knowledge of shop tools. I assume I would just have to do a little bit of fitting and filing to make the breach face sit flush? I am not a gunsmith by any means.

5. Would anyone on this board know where one could find a cheap barrel?
I want to fit a 12 or 20 gauge barrel to it if possible. I plan to cut it to about 20 inches and open up the choke to allow for slugs. I have a shotgun, but I am afraid to put slugs through it. It has an old adjustable choke, and I do not want to ruin it.
This h and r would be for general plinking, not necessarily hunting or self defense. I suppose that the main objective is to have a fun gun, so to speak. I always wanted a little short shotgun to make big noise and shred yard trash.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and if you can answer any questions feel free to do so. I am open to suggestions. I love reading this forum, as it is a treasure trove of information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 09:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to gene_225

For starters, there are two different kinds of Huntsman. The early ones are in .45, .58, & 12 ga. The later ones were in .50 cal. They are not interchangable. I think the .50 cal will fit on SB1 frames. The .45, .58, and 12 ga. won't; but they are still classed as modern firearms. I only know about the early ones since those are what I have. Mine won't interchange between cal. The 45s will interchange, but the .58 won't fit on either the .45s or 12 ga. The 12 won't fit on either the 45s or the 58. And the .45s won't fit on either the .58 or the 12 ga. None of those three will fit on either a SB1 or SB2. Hope that helps. gene
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 10:19 PM

Huntsman rifles had a "plunger" if you want to call it that, instead of a firing pin. It was designed to use percussion caps. When I got mine I wasn't happy with the reliability so I fashioned a modified breach plug to use 209s and dropped the barrel on an old shotgun receiver. Never once failed me. The later model "Sidekick" rifles will not interchange with anything.

Life is a food chain; if your not on top, your on the menu.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 10:58 PM

I didn't like the caps either so I got an adapter for them which allowed me to use 209 primers. Never needed to change fireing pin. I have never been able to fit the early barrels to any other frame. Maybe others can. I can't say.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

Welcome to GBO sandman45, see the Huntsman manuals sticky above for load info.

FWIW, I modified my .50 Huntsman breech plug to use a flangeless musket caps since 209s aren't legal here.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 11:42 PM

I bought an old H and R Huntsman a while back at the local Cabela's. I had never even fired a muzzle loader prior to it and it sounded like it would be a blast, pun intended, so I bought it. Paid somewhere around $115 out the door. Anyway, after poking around on this board and registering a while back, I decided to speak up. I have a few questions.

Like gene_225 said: There are two different types of Huntsman. If you have the 50 Cal version you have the newer model. The other calibers (.45 & .58) and 12 gauge shotgun versions are the older versions.

1. What is the maximum powder charge? If you have the newer .50 cal version, see chart in the FAQ's, but you can use a charge of up to 100 grs by volume, for certain saboted bullets.

2. Can I put an extra barrel on it?
I have read that the receiver is dimensionally the same as a topper or handi-rifle. The words sb1 and sb2 floated around a lot. I think that I would be hesitant to put a rifle barrel on it, but maybe a pistol caliber or shotgun barrel.

Yes, the modern Huntsman frame is basically an SB-1 frame, so you can put pistol caliber barrels and shotgun barrels on it without worry..

3. If I put an extra barrel on it, are there any legal restrictions other that barrel length? No.

4. If I buy a loose barrel, could I fit it myself? Yes.

5. Would anyone on this board know where one could find a cheap barrel?

Cheap? Inexpensive? You can try the Classified section of H&R Talk but can't guarantee inexpensive. If you get desperate you can try Ebay.

"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

A statement of fact: H&R Huntsman & Sidekick blued barrels are made of 4140 steel.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 03:09 AM

Location: Smack Dab in the middle of God's Country! Saskatchewan, Of Course!
Default For Starters....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman45 View Post
I bought an old H and R Huntsman ...
if you don't put your Country of residence, and more specifically your region/province/state/etc.... no one can readily tell you what law on barrel length might apply

you may be in a jurisdiction that you CANNOT even legally own a rifle.....

I am ONLY responsible for what I say
I am NOT responsible for what you THINK I said
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 03:05 PM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanuk-o-dah-nort View Post
if you don't put your Country of residence, and more specifically your region/province/state/etc.... no one can readily tell you what law on barrel length might apply

you may be in a jurisdiction that you CANNOT even legally own a rifle.....
Since he bought it at his local Cabela's, I doubt if he is somewhere where he can't own a rifle....

~WH~

NMLRA Life Member
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 05:21 PM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene_225 View Post
I didn't like the caps either so I got an adapter for them which allowed me to use 209 primers.
I recently bought a .45 Huntsman, serial AJ272xxx, which I believe makes it a 1972 model. I would love to use 209 primers. Could you share more info about the adapter you use?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 05:59 PM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page