Huntsman .45 cal, 1972 breech plug issue, I need help - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 10:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to gene_225

Quote:
Originally Posted by philngruvy View Post
There is a charge, I assume, in the barrel. I put Kroil in the nipple hole first. After it sat overnight, I removed the nipple easily. Then I put enough oil into the breech to about 1/4 " deep. This sat for 2 1/2 days. I would think that the oil would have completely saturated any powder. I have always heard good things about Kroil but I have never used it before. I will try some PB Blaster. I have used it before, generally with good results. I like the idea of using pressure to remove the load. I will explore that option.
With mine, I pulled the sabbot, bullet and dumped the powder out before we began on the breach plug. We tried various penetrating oils as well as coke-a-cola. My machinest friend made a high tensil steel tool to remove the plug; it broke when he tried it. So he cut a square hole in the plug, put a 1/2" breaker bar in it and tried to remove it that way. No go. We have been thinking about it for a couple of years now. Our next plan is to just bore it out and see what else we can do with the barrel. We have been at this project for over 10 years. gene

Last edited by gene_225; 09-18-2017 at 10:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

One consideration on using heat is the underlug is likely soldered to the barrel, too much heat could detach it from the barrel, so you'd have to be careful and make sure to rig a heat sink on the underlug. I'd drill the 1/8" holes in the breech plug out to 3/16" or 1/4" and tap them and use grade 8 bolts to attach the breechplug tool to it, then replace the BP with a modern replacement. Of course you could probably either resolder the underlug or just have it welded back on too, or just weld in on before as part of the heating process.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

I need to back up and share more information. I downloaded the Hunstman manual from this site and the manual said that when the ramrod was pushed in all the way, if there is no load in it , there should be only 11/16" of the rod sticking out. Mine had 3" sticking out, so I assumed that there was a load in the chamber. I did not realize that this manual was the wrong one for my gun., so this information must be wrong. I hooked up my air compressor and shot a burst through the 1/4" nipple hole and a wad of cloth popped out. There was no bullet or powder in it. I could now see through the nipple hole, up the barrel and the bore was actually pretty shiny with great rifling.

I still cannot get the breech plug out but my question now is do I really need to? Can I properly clean the barrel and fire it as is? Also, where can I download a copy of the original manual for this gun as apparently the one I have is not valid? BTW, I bought a new 209 primer nipple and plan not to use the #11 primer nipple.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 08:29 AM

It's on the internet, but I think it's also on this site. Look for both/either H&R Shikari and/or H&R Model 155 Shikari.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philngruvy View Post

I still cannot get the breech plug out but my question now is do I really need to? Can I properly clean the barrel and fire it as is? .
Probably, I just felt uneasy about mine even though the threads don't have any force on them (the back of the breach plug is against the receiver). The rust bothered me.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

.45 .58 .12ga manual is in the Huntsman manuals stick above, been there for several years, Sprint emailed the pages to me and I posted them.
Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 11:03 AM

Don't know if this will help or not but recently purchased a similar problem child and was amazed at what Ballistol did to remove the BP and also clean the breech and barrel. Ballistol has worked wonders in black powder firearms. Though YMMV, Good Luck!
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdtoo View Post
.45 .58 .12ga manual is in the Huntsman manuals stick above, been there for several years, Sprint emailed the pages to me and I posted them.
Tim
Thanks Tim, as I mentioned earlier, I am somewhat challenged when it comes to search engines, etc. I appreciate your help.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 06:45 AM

I would not try heat, you may very well lock everything together even worse. With Kroil, or similar, in there, I would try alternately tapping the breech plug from the muzzle using a close bore fitting metal rod and brass cushion on the end, and a brass drift punch from the breech end. You have to tap a lot repeatedly and fairly hard, but not so hard as to mushroom the breech plug. A removal tool can also be made by using an appropriate sized 3/8" drive socket with the end ground away to form two close fitting pins. tedious work but can be effective.

How did your buddy cut a square hole in the plug?

If the breech plug is already destroyed, try using the repeated tapping and an Easy Out.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 09:11 AM

He has access to a cnc machine. That's as much as I know about how he did it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page