Huntsman .45 cal, 1972 breech plug issue, I need help - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet
Default Huntsman .45 cal, 1972 breech plug issue, I need help

Hi, I have a 1972 AJ serial # Huntsman .45 cal. which I found in a Pawn shop for a cheap price. It has a load in it which I have soaked with Kroil. The #11 nipple came out easily but the breech plug is too tight to come out using needle nose pliers and crescent wrench. Obviously, I don't have the proper tool. I have thought about heating the barrel at the breech end with a heat gun, hopefully expanding the breech enough so that I can get the plug to turn. Any thoughts? Would this be safe to do?

Does anyone know where I could find the proper tool? I have struck out at the two main auction sites.

Last edited by philngruvy; 09-15-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

You need a better tool, this is from the FAQs.

Tim

https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/113-hun...ml#post1839459

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

Thank you Tim. Honestly, I searched and did not come up with that. I am not very good with these search engines. So, Is this tool available to purchase somewhere? I do not have a lathe or milling machine or I would attempt to make one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

Not available that I know of, you should be able to make one using a drill, doesn't have to be exactly like that one, just functional.

Tim

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

Tim, OK, I made a tool very similar to the one pictured in the FAQ you shared. It actually came out very nicely. So I assembled the tool onto the breech plug and tried to turn it out. No luck. I then got a longer wrench. I put so much on the wrench that both 1/8" pins sheared off. Then it occurred to me that maybe I was turning the wrong way. I made the assumption that I needed to turn counter clockwise as I am looking at the breech end to remove the plug. Is this correct? Or is this plug left hand? The plug has been soaking in Kroil for over two days. What else can I try. I am back on the mindset of heating the barrel. Is this a bad idea?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 04:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to gene_225

Quote:
Originally Posted by philngruvy View Post
Tim, OK, I made a tool very similar to the one pictured in the FAQ you shared. It actually came out very nicely. So I assembled the tool onto the breech plug and tried to turn it out. No luck. I then got a longer wrench. I put so much on the wrench that both 1/8" pins sheared off. Then it occurred to me that maybe I was turning the wrong way. I made the assumption that I needed to turn counter clockwise as I am looking at the breech end to remove the plug. Is this correct? Or is this plug left hand? The plug has been soaking in Kroil for over two days. What else can I try. I am back on the mindset of heating the barrel. Is this a bad idea?
Went through all that with no success. When we get back to it, I expect we will end up boreing the plug out. We have been at it for several years. I have a machinist friend helping me.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

Wow, Gene. That is not good news to me!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 04:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to gene_225

Quote:
Wow, Gene. That is not good news to me!
Nope. It arrived in the mail loaded. I think the powder sucked the moisture in and caused the rust.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Sounds like heat may be your only remaining option, but only if you can verify that it doesn't have a charge in the barrel. Does "soaking" mean with the bore filled with Kroil, not just from the outside? There are other penetrants that are likely better than Kroil, PB Blaster seems to get a lot of kudos. I'd get that charge out first, I'd start with a ball/bullet puller unless you can get compressed air in there, one method I've read about is to add a grease zerk to the breech plug any way you can, then use a grease gun. If you use a ball/bullet puller, make sure it one that has a bore size collar on it, or make one to keep the screw from going between the projectile and bore wall, not a nice thing to have happen.

Tim

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdtoo View Post
Sounds like heat may be your only remaining option, but only if you can verify that it doesn't have a charge in the barrel. Does "soaking" mean with the bore filled with Kroil, not just from the outside? There are other penetrants that are likely better than Kroil, PB Blaster seems to get a lot of kudos. I'd get that charge out first, I'd start with a ball/bullet puller unless you can get compressed air in there, one method I've read about is to add a grease zerk to the breech plug any way you can, then use a grease gun. If you use a ball/bullet puller, make sure it one that has a bore size collar on it, or make one to keep the screw from going between the projectile and bore wall, not a nice thing to have happen.

Tim
There is a charge, I assume, in the barrel. I put Kroil in the nipple hole first. After it sat overnight, I removed the nipple easily. Then I put enough oil into the breech to about 1/4 " deep. This sat for 2 1/2 days. I would think that the oil would have completely saturated any powder. I have always heard good things about Kroil but I have never used it before. I will try some PB Blaster. I have used it before, generally with good results. I like the idea of using pressure to remove the load. I will explore that option.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page