Graybeard Outdoors banner

44 cal 270 gr Deep Curl

6K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  stringofpoloponies 
#1 ·
Only time will tell but I think I'm gonna like these 270 gr Deep Curls.
I had a chance to shoot some today
and was very impressed with the accuracy I got.

At 60yrds I had 1 ragged hole with
3 shots. At 100yrds I would've had a decent group but I knew when I pulled the trigger on the 2nd shot that I had flinched. This flinch caused me to have a 3 inch group, otherwise shots 1 and 3 measured 1 3/8 inch.

This is the best accuracy I have had with my Huntsman, so hoping this bullet performs well on deer. Deer season opens next weekend for me here in Illinois and I am ready to fill the freezer.

I have done some reading and it seems like these bullets will do the job if I do mine.

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

#3 ·
My entire load is:

90gr (volume) Blackhorn 209
270gr 44cal Speer Deep Curl
E-Z Load Harvester sabot
Winchester 209 primer

The bullet-sabot combination is a lot tighter than what I am used to but I can deal with it to get the accuracy that I am getting with this load.

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

#4 ·
My preferred bullet for the 44 Mag Handi.

Deer go down fast when hit with that bullet!

I plan on using it in my [STRIKE]Huntsman[/STRIKE] Sidekick, too.

Good luck!!

#6 ·
Only one that I had ever had NOT pass through ended up being a high hit directly in the spine at 70 yards (was trying the high shoulder shot, but hit a little too high). Bullet stayed intact because of the bonding and was found between the meat and hide on the off side.

#8 ·
If you can get them to shoot, they expand very well! This was out of a 44 Mag Handi dug out of the 100 yard berm.
That was my go to hunting load when I still had the 44. Now shoot it out of my Renegade over 75 grains 777.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Could not get better than about 1.5" out of the Sidekick with the 270's, but I ordered some of those Harvestor sabots and will give it another try with those.

#10 ·
I'm not sure which is cheaper, but the Hornady .430" 265gr FP shoots very well in my Huntsman with BH209, a green Harvester ez load sabot, and a 209 primer. I can't imagine shooting it fast enough to flatten out. That's a .444 Marlin bullet.

Thanks, Dinny

#11 ·
I believe that the range's dirt berm causes more expansion than if they had gone through a deer.

I forgot we did catch one more of those 270 Gold Dot bullets in a deer that my Dad shot with the Handi .44 Mag. It had ran up and past his treestand and was standing about 20 yards away almost perfectly facing away. Dad centered up the crosshairs on where the bullet would pass through the center of the chest and fired. It entered just right of the spine in front of the hips and it was found under the hide on the left side of the brisket. It was not mushroomed anywhere near as much as the one I dug out of the 100 yard berm.

I only looked at Natchez, but the Speer 270s were $27 per hundred and they wanted $41 per 100 for the 265 FPs!! :tango_face_surprise

I just got some more Harvestor 50/429 sabots and would like to try my 270 Speers and also those 265 FTX that I got off of you to see if they shoot anything like those 250 Shockwaves did in my Sidekick.

#13 ·
Yes, I might change to that .45 300 grain hollowpoint Deep Curl pictured there if the .429 270 grain flatpoint does not work out in the Sidekick.

#14 ·
Those DC 270’s are great bullets I dont see why they wouldnt be just as good in the BP rifle.

CW

#15 ·
I was just saying accuracy-wise if I could not get the 270's to group under an inch.

I'm under 1/2 inch with factory 250 SST (+ knurled) in the supplied black sabots right now. But I would like to use the 270 Deep Curl (Gold Dot) because I have history with them doing the job in .44 Mag as well as my Renegade. 300 HP Deep Curl would be choice #2 to try.

I just keep hearing stories of the 250 SST grenading, but maybe they are being pushed over 2,000 fps when that happens. I'm also a fan of heavy-for-caliber and mostly used the 275 and 300 .430 XTP's when I was starting out with the muzzleloaders. Wish Hornady had never discontinued the 275 XTP! When I switched to the SST/Shockwaves, I was always using the 300 grainers. I still use the .430 300 XTP and .429 270 DC in the Renegade and it puts the hurt on them just fine, but those shots are 100 yards and closer with the open sights.

I was given some muzzleloading supplies and the 250 SST's were among them and I just happened to try them in the Sidekick and they overlap holes at 100 yards. They were running 1897 fps @ 15' from the muzzle.

#16 ·
Anyone have any experience with the 44cal 300gr XTP in a 50cal ML? The 240gr XTP killed my buck last year in it's tracks, but I lost alot of meat to bullet impact and rapid expansion. The bullet core and jacket separated and did not exit.

Thanks, Dinny

#17 ·
You know my thought on 43 Mags Dinny. 😉 (45’s are superior) Id go with a heavier bullet. Maybe even try these Deep Curls.

I have used two of the ftx on deer in my 450 Bushmaster. Both where lung shots. One was a 250 ftx the second was a 300 yello tip made for muzzle Loaders.
The 250 was maybe 40 yards center of lungs much damage entrance & exit. Impact velocity 2k +
The 300 Shock Wave (yello tip FTX) was nearly identical but impact was 75-80 yards center of lungs. Pulped lungs and exited. Velocity probably mid 1600’s

Neither had excessively large exit maybe quarter sized. Both animals traveled short distance after impact. .

CW

#18 ·
My only experience with the .430 300 XTP has been in several muzzleloaders with a load of 90 grains FFg Goex or 75 grains of 777. Never ever found a bullet to diagnose expansion, but expansion was evident in the carcass. No BIG offside exit, but tracking was easy for me being colorblind and short trails. Most of the time I didn't need to track because they went less than 50 yards.

If you already have them, they are good. However, after seeing the .45 300 grain Deep Curl expansion photo (ironglow's link above) out to 300 yards, I believe that I may have to get a box to see what kind of accuracy I can get out of those!

#19 ·
Today I got a box of the .429" 270gr DC and .452" 300gr GD bullets to try out in my Huntsman. If it doesn't like them I still have other 44 Mag and 45 Colt rifles and pistols to use them in.

Thanks, Dinny

#20 ·
Today is opening day of firearms season here in Illinois and this morning I was able to harvest a mature doe. Since I wasn't able to harvest anything last year I was itching to see how the 270 Deep Curl would perform for me. I would say I was pleased. 1 shot 1 kill.

Shot was at roughly 60-65 yrds.
Perfect broadside, and calm deer. (bean field)
Complete pass thru.
After the shot deer went approximately 40 yrds before going down.
I will say the shot was a little higher than where I usually like to hit them but still a good hit.
The higher hit resulted in basically no blood trail but when you can watch them go down and they only go around 40 yrds it's no big deal.
I do have 2 more permits so hopefully I'll get a couple more chances to try this bullet this year.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

#22 ·
I was able to harvest another doe this morning using the 270gr speer DC.

This time the shot was 30yds broadside. I was able to place the shot lower than the last one and had the best blood trail that I've ever had. Instantly had a trail from where she was standing at the shot until she dropped 40yds later.

I have 1 permit left, hope to get another chance to try these bullets.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

#23 ·
I have been trying the 270 DC and Harvestor green smooth sabots and crush rib. The smooth green are a bear to get down the barrel and results were not good. Switched to the green crush rib and they go down just right. I tried several loads and finally found one that is giving me 0.692" groups at 100 yards. The same Sidekick will group 250 SST in the supplied black sabots into an average 0.447" at 100.

I will probably stick to the 270 Deep Curls for now and will suggest the SST's to someone if I ever part with this rifle just because they are available off the shelf even in WalMart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.