What happened to my groups? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Default What happened to my groups?

A week and a half ago I tried the 270 gr Deep Curls in my Huntsman with great accuracy results at 60 yrds ( 1 rugged 3 shot hole).
2 days ago 1 shot was fired at 60 yrds with point of impact being 1 inch right of dead center. I was still satisfied with the way it was shooting.
Today I shot at 60 yrds to unload my gun after 1st deer season (here in Illinois) and was 3 inches high right. Confused with the shot I reloaded and shot again hitting around 2 high left. I shot 1 or 2 more times with nothing being consistent before I swabbed the barrel and cleaned the breech plug. I then shot 3 more times at 60 yrds resulting in a 1 inch group which was 2 inches higher than bulls-eye. I was hitting bulls-eye a week and a half ago.

I am using BH209 so I didn't think the barrel being fouled the day before had much to do with it.

Never experienced anything like this before. Anybody have any ideas?

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 11:59 PM

i would have said scope or mounts until cleaning solved it. i would not think that would help. only thing i can think of, was the fouling bad enough to make it really hard to load? sabot damage?

Mike
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 04:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeslayer View Post
i would have said scope or mounts until cleaning solved it. i would not think that would help. only thing i can think of, was the fouling bad enough to make it really hard to load? sabot damage?
I didn't think it was that bad but plan on shooting again starting with a clean gun and see what happens.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 09:58 AM

Several guns have a different POI with a clean bore and a fouled bore. Oil in the bore vs no oil in the bore. Temperature and wind can also affect POI. Warm barrel vs cold barrel.

Shooting off a bench with bags, or off-hand?

Lots of things it could be.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Well I shot again this morning and the groups were still not nearly as tight as the first day I shot these bullets. I used the same setup today as I did the first day I shot these bullets. Really starting to wonder if I just got really lucky on day 1 with these bullets.

I'm thinking now maybe I should try a different powder charge. I am currently using 90 grn of BH 209.

Or try a different bullet. I do have some TC Cheap Shots and some PR Extreme Elite HP 330grn I could stuff down the barrel.

Any more thoughts or ideas welcome. I really appreciate the wisdom several of you share. I have learned a lot over the past several years reading posts and replies on this forum and others.

Thanks again for any suggestions.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 04:40 PM

the PRs should group well, other than those i got great groups with barnes. i never could get a 44cal bullet to shoot right, but others have.

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page