58 cal Huntsman - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Default 58 cal Huntsman

I have an early 70's .58 cal Huntsman and need some assistance. The barrel is difficult to dismount and twice as difficult to put back on. It has to be lined up and preasure apply at certain areas to remove and the same to replace. Another question, there is no ejector but yet there is the ejector stop pin. Why? Can't figure out why that roll pin is there. I have several other H&R rifles , shotguns even a Sidekick and none of them this complex to remove the barrel. Thank you for listening and any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to gene_225

Don't know what the problem with dismounting the barrel is; mine is just like any other H & R. The pin is, I believe, so that you won't open the action all the way after a missfire. The breach plug is friction fit with rubber rings. If you have a delayed ignition and snap open the action, when it goes off the breach plug would come flying out with out the pin. As it is, the plug will hit the action not you (in theory).
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 03:17 PM

Is the roll pin in the under lug sticking out too far on one side?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for your responses. Own this weapon several years never fired it bought it used in decent shape. Neckisred you got me to thinking, I went out to the shop and drifted the roll pin out. The action works like a new rifle. Lock up is excellent. What are the dangers if any of shooting this beast without the rollpin? It doesn't look like it does anything useful.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to gene_225

Your choice on going without the pin, but it is supposed to keep the breach plug from being ejected in case of a delayed fireing as noted above.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Should I have a misfire I promise not to open the action for the appropriate amount of time.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max ryan View Post
Should I have a misfire I promise not to open the action for the appropriate amount of time.
Do what you want, your a big boy. gene_225 gave you the proverbial "heads up". It's your choice to take his advice or not.

"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

A statement of fact: H&R Huntsman & Sidekick blued barrels are made of 4140 steel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page