Huntsman forearm - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Default Huntsman forearm

Ok... so I got my huntsman .50 black powder barrel on my sb2 frame, gun works great, sent my wife out with the 'o6 the last two years and shes brought home a deer each time. and I'm excited to get her behind a patch and ball, only one problem. the handi rifle forearm doesn't accept a ram rod, besides purchasing a huntsman forearm, I've considered carving one myself, my question is how can the ram rod be placed below the barrel, flushed up with the muzzle, but be long enough to send a patch and ball to the breech, wouldn't the forearm screw in the bottom center of the forearm inhibit a proper length ram rod? How does a factory built huntsman forearm bypass the forearm screw? The image I have attached is the 20 Ga barrel but I'm using it as an example, I feel there will be a few inches difference between the ram rod and where the ball would be seated, any thoughts on this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190717_185705_1563404423835.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	580.1 KB
ID:	232222  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

The factory ramrod telescopes, twists to lock full length.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 08:07 PM

Sidekick/Huntsman slide out and adjust to size, like some CVA'S. My CVA Wolf does this. I load with a full sized rod before going out, and only use the adjustable one if I am out in the field for a follow up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 12:10 AM

Jonmarshall - If your looking for a ramrod for the Huntsman that will fit under the Huntmans barrel, I would recommend you look into buying a Hubbards ramrod. I don't have his contact number anymore, but try the links in the following thread.

https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/113-hu...nt-ramrod.html

"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

A statement of fact: H&R Huntsman & Sidekick blued barrels are made of 4140 steel.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 07:35 AM

Not too sure Hubbard is still making ramrods. Check out Dougs message boards or Arrowhead sporting goods for a folding rod you carry in your pocket. You wont need a Huntsman forend with one of these rods.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neckisred View Post
Not too sure Hubbard is still making ramrods. Check out Dougs message boards or Arrowhead sporting goods for a folding rod you carry in your pocket. You wont need a Huntsman forend with one of these rods.
Did Mr. Hubbard retire?

"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

A statement of fact: H&R Huntsman & Sidekick blued barrels are made of 4140 steel.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolRanger View Post
Did Mr. Hubbard retire?
Not 100% sure. He didn't deliver the last rod I ordered. I think there was something posted about it a while back.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 02:25 PM

Gun Cabinet

I'm almost certain Hubbard retired. I can't reach him anymore either.

Thanks, Dinny

I reload and shoot 348 Win, 358 Win, 6.5 Grendel, 30-06 Springfield, 300 BLK, 44 Mag, 357 Maximum, 9mm, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 225 Win and 35 Rem
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 04:25 PM

I used to have a Huntsman, and found the telescoping ramrod to be pretty fragile. After I broke it and had to fix it, I resorted to a dowel rod. It stuck out 6" or so past the muzzle, but it worked. Part of the problem was a .45 ramrod they expected to be used interchangeably with a .58.
As to the screw, you could have one made large enough to be cross-drilled for the ramrod.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page