Side kick endeavors - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Default Side kick endeavors

My pop gave me back the Side I bought for him so many years ago. So now I have two. 🙂

Mine is a good shooter and I dont even know if he shot his. I guaranty he didnt shoot it much!

I have a couple good cast lead rifle bullets. As well as a Maxi Ball and Great Plains bullet
Mold.

Last few years I have not hunted with the muzzle
Loader. Before that i had switched to a full 50 cal bullet over sabots that I used for many years previous. Being I am a believer is heavy for caliber bullets and like the bigger bores best. It was a natural and somewhat surprising thing that I didnt think of or try that sooner.

I have a bunch of T/C bullets in the yellow boxes but all the lube is dried hard. So I need to re lubricate them. Need to investigate cleaning off old lube and re lubing.

Anyhow. On those rifle bullets. One is a Lyman 457122 Gould Express bullet its .460 (I can size down) it also has a hollow point and If you dont know, it its a classic well Liked bullet in the 45/70 @ 1400 fps. So should be a dandy in a muzzle
Loader!

I need Sabots! Dinny says Harvester has them and I see them on there web site. Anyone have experience here?

Also I have been using 777 since introduced but I have a number of bottles of loose rifle and pistol pyrodex too. My Side Kick has the 25 ACP breech plug and Pops is factory 209. (Once upon a time known as “one who will not be named” Breech plug.)

All comments and suggestions welcome

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 09:57 PM

Gun Cabinet

CW,
When you get back from of the frigid North, box it up and send it to me. I'll find a load it likes and keep it clean and well-oiled for ya.

Thanks, Dinny

I reload and shoot 348 Win, 358 Win, 6.5 Grendel, 30-06 Springfield, 300 BLK, 44 Mag, 357 Maximum, 9mm, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 225 Win and 35 Rem
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Dinny,

I know I can count on you for such disposals!!

I need to order that Breech Plug

Kinda suprized no one else has commented here..

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 06:47 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to bubba

In my sidekick, I use the MU plug. I use harvestor crush rib green sabots and a hornady xtp 430 diameter bullet and blackhorn 209. I love the harvestor sabots. Easy to load and work well. I would get the mu plug. Ease of removal especially with triple 7 will be worth it plus it eliminates the orange carriers. You wont be disappointed

”A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.”

Molon Labe

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Bubba!

I have t bought a plug yet.

Just mounted a Aimpoint Red Dot. My other Sidekick has a Burris 1-5 Fullfield.

Im using those harvester sabots and my own cast.

Currently loose RS Select powder.

Dinny keep preaching the Blkhorn 209. But at 50$ / 10oz. Im hesitant. ESP when ya know I have like five pounds of pyrodex.

Side kick endeavors-d52d9177-2c0d-43d1-8389-96f300d19f01_1576541304418.jpegSide kick endeavors-6d4e516a-3275-4cc5-9c21-da270fd3fc01_1576541317976.jpeg

Waiting on Stew for a monte butt stock. Like I swapped to my first Sidekick. Once that arrives. Ill shoot some more and get that BP on order.

CW

NRA LIFE Member

GOD BLESS AMERICA

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 08:55 AM

That would be a reason I would shoot rs also. I bought a 5 pound jug of 209 a year ago for 200 shipped. Cheap that way for sure. Enjoy and good shooting

”A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.”

Molon Labe

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 08:58 AM

The idekick I have I bought for my father in law years ago. He passed before he could use it. I harvested a few deer with it and my daughter now has it. I use a tc impact sb now

Molon Labe

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Stewies stock came Friday!!

Mounted up nicely and even matches the forend well!

Was hoping to shoot today but its a busy time of year and I never made it again.

CW
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C01E74A1-3E7A-40E6-A7B2-55519460FCD9_1577063761656.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	238516  

NRA LIFE Member

GOD BLESS AMERICA

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 05:23 PM

CW i can't for life of me remember what sabot comes with the barnes expander, but all my inlines love it with the 300gr expander. in fact, both the huntsman and the austin halleck will stack them almost in the same hole as a 250 grain expander. they are thin sabots and they will get hard to load after a few shots. also they are for .45 cal bullets. idk if the same out fit makes them for .430 or not.

thats the black sabot that comes with the original expander. the blue easy load does load easier in a fouled barrel but accuracy fell off just a little bit in both those rifles. still good but not as good as the black sabot. i have not found a more accurate load combination.

Mike
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2019, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Dinny sent me some Harvestor ribbed to try. They shoot fine load easy!

Need to spend more time but pretty easilly found a load that shoots clovers @ 50y and called that good.

Gonna try yo order BP later today

CW

NRA LIFE Member

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page