Exploding bullets?? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Default Exploding bullets??

I bought my son a NEF muzzle loader and told him not to load it with more than two pellets (100 grains). He went to his grandmother's house to shoot it and said the bullets were exploding after leaving the barrel. His uncles told him he had too much powder in it. I told him maybe it was just the plastic piece on the back of the bullet making an extra hole on the target, similar to a wad from a shotgun. But he insisted there were multiple holes after each shot, not just two. Did I advise him to load it too hot? Could there be something wrong with the gun? I haven't shot it myself yet. I've been too busy with work, my daughter's band competitions and my college work.

Thanks,
JAD75
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 01:37 PM

Did you explain to him about extending the ram rod?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I did. Before he went, I told him and when he came back I told him to make even more sure next time that the bullet was seated well.

Thanks,
JAD75
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 02:11 PM

If the uncles were supervising, I'd suggest some new supervisors. By no means an expert but it sounds like the bullets were not properly seated. That's some scary stuff my friend. I'd be hesitant to shoot that gun now.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, well, his uncles are complete idiots. I can't overstate just how stupid that bunch is. He hasn't shot it again, so I need to get it out and see what it does for me.

Thanks,
JAD75
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 02:33 PM

If you shoot at close range you could hit the target with the sabot as well as the bullet. How far was he shooting?

Also ask him to show you how he loaded it.

See how far the sabot and bullet was seated.

Some of the pellets like 777 stick together so a new shooter may pick up two that are stuck together, end to end, and think it is only one pellet. Loading 4 pellets is possible if not aware of this.

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

He's not a new shooter. He's 20. He said he put two 50 grain pellets in and I'm sure he did. However, I question whether or not he seated it real well. He's a big, strong kid, so I really don't see him not seating it well. I'll get his gun out over Thanksgiving break and see what happens. Before I do that, though, I wanted to check here and see if that's something that's a known problem. I really don't doubt the integrity of the gun. I think him or one of his moron uncles didn't do something right.

Thanks,
JAD75
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 08:15 PM

Might be a good idea to pull the breach plug and clean it real well. He might be seating the bullet on buildup vs the charge?

A good cleaning can’t hurt and it would give you a good chance to inspect the bore in the process. Maybe mark the ramrod at the proper seating depth with a pristine bore for good measure.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 10:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to gene_225

If it was over pressure, the pin on which the barrel rotates could be bent. Bought an old model huntsman once that that had happened to. Had to have the the pin removed and replaced.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 07:52 AM

Just an FYI. Those Huntsman rods are not the greatest. I always use a one piece range rod when sighting in. I only use the factory rod in the field.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page