Discussion of 32 H&R The Cartridge - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 07:05 PM

I dipped my toe in the 32 H&R Maggie world, although I shot mostly 32 longs with the SP101 I had. I agree ... the H&R label made no sense to me. But like 44 Magnum, everyone drops the Remington from the title, so 32 Maggie is what I've heard folks call it. But then folks leave the magnum off the 327 Federal ...

The question of LEO use ... 32 Long was a popular pocket pistol caliber, so I wouldn't be surprised if plainclothes officers carried the 32 in some places. It wouldn't have been the man stopper loads of the 32 magnum, but back in the day folks were carrying 25ACP pocket pistols and I'm guessing it worked or it wouldn't have been sold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 04:38 PM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old No7 View Post
I agree, and I love the cartridge in my revolvers.

I reload and shoot 32 Shorts, 32 Longs and the H&R Magnum.

As much as I love my H&R Sportsman and near-mint USRA single-shot pistol, as well as the other 5 or 6 long-barreled H&R top-breaks that I have in my collection (22's, 32's and 38 S&W's)...

This is what I think helped doom the 32 H&R Magnum from being a more popular round...

Putting "H&R" in the name.

There, I said it...

I do think there's an element of that in the poor adoption and low popularity of the round.

We already had the "32 Short" and "32 Long" (as well as the older "Colt" variations on both), and to me -- they should have just called it the "32 Magnum" with no company affiliation noted at all.

Let's be honest here... Older H&R revolvers, with a possible exception of the very nice later model 999 Sportsman's (which even the most ardent S&W snobs would not pay any attention to...) just didn't garner a great reputation for strength, quality or accuracy. Therefore, I'm thinking that having "H&R" in the name really didn't help generate any extra following, and probably turned off quite a few shooters from even trying it.

True -- as those who do load and shoot it have found out, with myself included -- the 32 H&R Magnum is a terrific round for hunting and plinking, and after doing some bullet tests into water jugs with my S&W Models 631 or 16 (note that I'm not shooting the H&R Mag in any H&R's...) -- it is very effective at self defense. I know I wouldn't want to get shot with it!!!

I do love my collection of older H&R Top Breaks, all the way from the early 1900's, up to one of the last nice Sportsman made, but as noted above...

When I shoot the "32 H&R Magnum" -- it's done in my Smith & Wesson "32 Magnum" revolvers.

I'm sure this reply might generate some discussion, but that's what the original poster wanted, right?!

Old No7
...even a slow discussion is still a discussion, right? ( )
One thing you're forgetting is that the .32 Short and Long WE'RE actually attached to a company.
They're officially; the .32 S&W Short and the .32 S&W Long!
...even with Colt, you had the .32 Long Colt (or, if you prefer, .32 Colt).
I seem to remember the "H&R" moniker had little to do with its lack of popularity, but instead, many saw it as a smaller re-invention of the .38 Special (apologies, .38 S&W Special) and in an era when "new" usually meant "Magnum", or "bigger and more powerful" anyway, the .32 Mag seemed a step in the wrong direction....but hindsight tends to be 20/20. Truth is, at the time it came out, no one really knew how it was going to be accepted.
...still not sure why such sudden and positive acceptance of the .327 Fed. Mag, since its .357 performance, but again with a smaller bullet.
Maybe because of the power level it works at?....but then why not just shoot .357?.....odd.

1981 Topper 088, 20 gauge, 25" barrel, choke opened from full to modifed (Walker Arms, Selma Alabama), Limbsaver recoil pad

Last edited by DCman; 04-23-2019 at 04:41 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page